• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch replacement

I am just wondering, if my clutch is being 'worn out', do I have to replace the whole clutch or just the clutch disc? I am getting chatters and find it hard to engage the clutch (I have to release almost all the way to the end to reach the friction point and need more gas than used to in order to get the car going). I can't really check the clutch condition since it requires the removal of the transmission, is it normal that the whole housing is being worn out? or just the disc? Also, does $750 CAD (roughly $500 US) for a clutch installation sound reasonable? Thanks.

How many miles are on the car? How do you drive it? Do you race it or just cruise it around?

I have personally changed many clutches in my life and can say from my own personal experience that you do not have to change the pressure plate every time. As a kid I did a lot of street racing and would go through clutch discs about every two years. I was using a heavy duty Hayes pressure plate (PP) and never once changed it in the 6 years I owned the car, and I ragged the living crap out of this car daily! All I would change is the disc, pilot (if needed) and the throw-out bearings (always). Once in a while I would also have the flywheel resurfaced. (Remember, I was doing the labor myself and could replace things when I thought they needed to be replaced. There are a lot of 'experts' out there that tell you to change 'this' every so often or replace 'that' just because the car has so many miles on it. Some things are not cast in stone, and NEVER believe everything you read!!!! Experience is priceless)

I do know however, that pulling the clutch out of an NSX is much more difficult than removing one from a Mustang, and costlier if not doing the work yourself, to risk the chance of discovering that the pressure plate is not up to par after the fact.

Once you remove the PP, you can take/send it to a clutch shop and have it tested for reliability. They can even be adjusted and/or rebuild. When you take your car somewhere to have a clutch replaced, the mechanic is going to provide you with the easiest/fastest solution to complete the job; replace all of it. This gets the car in and out with no hassles for them. However, this also has a negative effect on your wallet.

You mention that it chatters when you let it out. This could be the results of many things. The two things that come to mind first are a glazed-up flywheel and/or disc surfaces (caused from heat and friction over time), or a bad disc. Replacing the disc and resurfacing the flywheel will eliminate it. Most discs have springs in the hub to help the clutch engage more smoothly. I don't know if the NSX clutch uses springs, but once I was getting bad chatter at engagement, to later discover that the hub had come apart slightly and the springs were lying on the bottom of the bell housing. I replaced the disc and the chatter went away.

I'm assuming that the $500 you mention is for labor only? This doesn't sound too high for this type of job.

Hope this helps.

PS Some garages won't warranty any of the work if you don't change all of the pieces at the same time (Imagine that!). Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Back