• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Skills?

No, I'm not. The two are totally different. Riding the clutch refers to partially or completely disengaging the clutch when you are not shifting, when the car is already in the gear you have selected. That is certainly a bad practice for clutch wear.

Then you are confused on the term, because riding the clutch is when you wear the clutch excessively by not releasing it. Its the equivelent of driving downhill in a high gear while holding the brakes.

Smooth shifting can be accomplished two different ways - with absolutely precise rev matching, and/or with a somewhat longer time in the transition zone of the clutch when shifting (say, 2-3 seconds rather than a half a second or less).

Correct.

While precise rev matching is always a good thing, a longer time in the transition is not.

Incorrect. You are confusing taking longer to shift for riding the clutch. If you're riding the clutch, then obviously the longer you ride it the worse that is for the clutch. But, as I said above.. if you're matching the revs between the gears it wont matter how long you shift.

Watch some of the best motoring vids... then u will know what good clutching is all about ;)

Really, from my experience, being in the street with myself and others as well as on the track with experts... very few people know good clutching. i am terrible at it compared to say an scca racer with years of experience.

My vote goes to most people suffer at clutching, myself included.

If u think u r good at a clutch go ride with a scca racer at say road atlanta and u will see what I mean.

Step in a car that is being driven to hell and back and downshifts are not felt at all... that is good clutching.

As far as smooth verses quick... who knows.

Maybe some post about clutch style, type of clutch and parts that pertain to the clutch such as flywheel, and miles u got on the clutch... would clarify it?

If u had a quick lived or long lived clutch, post the mile amount and type of use. Quick shift verses smooth launch.

My guess goes to quick shift.

At the end of the day though... U gotta foget about it and have fun.

I shifted my RM clutch smooth as butter for 20k mils and it fell apart at about 10k miles. I read smooth was better. My next clutch... I am being quick and we will see what happens.

Last edited:
old_S13 said:
Then you are confused on the term, because riding the clutch is when you wear the clutch excessively by not releasing it.
That is EXACTLY what I said. Different words, same meaning. :confused:

old_S13 said:
if you're matching the revs between the gears it wont matter how long you shift.
Absolutely not true. It DOES matter - especially when you consider that almost no one matches the revs absolutely perfectly. If that were true, there would be no such thing as wear on the synchros and hub selectors - and virtually every transmission shows this.

That is EXACTLY what I said. Different words, same meaning. Absolutely not true. It DOES matter - especially when you consider that almost no one matches the revs absolutely perfectly.

I rev-match absolutely perfectly.

While I don't deny the fact that I'm NOT 100% perfect every time with my H & T downshifts, but the feeling of occasionally slamming that shifter into lower gear at lightning-quick speed, with zero resistance felt (not even a "snick", putting "almost" no strain on the synchros) when double-clutching is, to me, the greatest and the most rewarding feeling in the world - better than single-clutch rev match H&T downshifts and possibly (dare I say?) sex !!! :D

I hope Honda will offer good ole' clutch/stick manual as a possible option for the next NSX/HSC instead of just the seq. paddle shifter. That (paddle shifter) will take away all of the fun in driving.

JMO

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone here practice the technique of intentionally rev-mismatching (for lack of better word) to purposely induce under or oversteer? While I don't think such technique is good for clutch life, but well-timed mismatching revs to oversteer can help tuck the car into slower corners (like corkscrews or hairpins) a bit better if executed with precision and lots of prudency. While I don't practice such technique in my driving, but I know of someone that does. Any comments on this technique?

nsxtasy said:
Your synchros and hub selectors say otherwise. :p

With all due respect old_s13, I think Ken's right as usual. I'm stating the obvious but it's clear that no one's perfect, even if one feels he/she tagged all of his/her downshifts perfectly. Every mechanical parts that are designed to come in contact with another will wear eventually, and gearboxes are no exception. The only diff. between one driver from the next is that some will be gentler on the gearbox and others aren't quite as easy on it. :)

JMHO anyway.

Peace. V V

With all due respect old_s13, I think Ken's right as usual. I'm stating the obvious but it's clear that no one's perfect, even if one feels he/she tagged all of his/her downshifts perfectly.

Ken posts too much to be right. I think he just likes to hear himself talk. ;)

Its not like the driver sits there and analyzes each and every rev-match, you just do it. When you're driving in a turn and your at the max of your tires adhesion and you want to shift, you have no choice but to either not shift OR shift and rev-match -- PERFECTLY. Most people cant do this.. and anyone who attempts to do this without pin-point accuracy can easily bring the car into a spin from this type of mistake. Its not about ego, its about being a smooth driver. Like I said, it doesnt matter if its a slow shift or a quick shift -- the important thing is the rev-match and how smoothly its performed.

Just wondering if anyone here practice the technique of intentionally rev-mismatching (for lack of better word) to purposely induce under or oversteer?

Its called "popping the clutch" in order to break the back out and put the car into a drift.

Either way, I wouldnt recommend shifting without the clutch OR clutch popping in turns unless you are pretty skilled.. you can easily break things. Plus, clutch popping requires a strong clutch if its going to see that type of abuse, again.. not something the average driver should be attempting unless he's skilled and ready to deal with the wear and tear. But then again, the sport of drifting is a mix of driver skill AND having the funds to support worn tires and drivetrain components that come along with that type of driving.

Back