• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch would intermittently engage with pedal pressed down in 1st gear

My car started having a really hard time shifting into third gear under aggressive driving (grinding in that case), and the slave cylinder line leaked a little bit of fluid. Shifting into third while driving slowly is fine. I figured I have bad third gear synchros, and have been double clutching into third which doesn't grind.

So I replaced the slave cylinder, master cylinder, upgraded to a stainless SoS slave cylinder line, and refilled the fluid. The car drives normally, with the clutch engaging where it used to (about 3/4 the way up) and no slipping or any other weird behavior. However, sometimes in first gear with the pedal pressed down, such as taking off from a standstill, the clutch would maybe 5% of the time engage before I want it to, causing a violent forward lurching, then disengage. So far I have only noticed this in 1st gear. The first time I encountered this was when I started the car in my garage with the transmission in first gear. The starter lurched the car forward and luckily the handbrake was on or else I would have ran into the wall. It was then extremely hard to put the gearshift back into neutral. I have since been starting the car in neutral.

I re-bled the the clutch line yesterday with 60 pumps (refilled reservoir 10 times) and it didn't fix the issue. After all, air in the line should cause the opposite...to under-engage and slip, right? I think the problem is that the clutch is not fully disengaging, or that the spring is weak and re-engaging the clutch sometime. Might this also be why I'm having trouble shifting into third? However, it shifts fine into all the other gears, and that 1st gear starting lurch only maybe happens 5% of the time. The rest of the time, the clutch is fully disengaged with the pedal pressed down, like it should.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
When I put in my new master cylinder, I didn't bother to check the rod length vs the one I took out.

However, if the rod length on the new one is short, meaning I never fully dis-engage the clutch when the pedal is fully pressed, wouldn't I get all sorts of other issues with shifting in other gears as well? Instead of just my intermittent shuttering?

Does this sound more like a flywheel issue?

Last edited:
Back