• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cobalt Friction Technologies --> Who's Stopping Your NSX?

I am very pleased to announce that my new company, Cobalt Friction Technologies, is now open for business.

Cobalt specializes in high-performance brake systems and brake-related products (pads, fluid, rotors, etc.) for sportcars and race vehicles. Our primary market for street cars consists of Japanese and European imports, including the NSX, S2000, RSX, Integra, Civic, Prelude, etc.

Please take the time to browse our new website at www.cobaltfriction.com. If you have any questions about your NSX brake system, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or call me toll-free at 877.562.9237.

Stay tuned for contests and free prizes (free brake fluid and brake pads) on NSX Prime...coming soon!

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin
Cobalt Friction Technologies

I will have to kindly ask that you be a little more specific with what you consider to be "various conditions".

Let me explain:

I am not a big proponent of a "one-pad-that-does-it-all" brake pad setup for any high-performance vehicle. Given my love for the NSX, having been an owner for the past 5 years, I feel this applies here... A track-type compound used on the street will tend to dust heavily and wear rapidly, as well as produce quite a bit of noise/squealing, while also requiring a fair degree of heat up. A street pad used on the track does not have the fade-resistance necessary, nor the braking torque required, for predictable braking and repeated heat-cycles.

For aggressive street, Solo-2 autocross, drag racing, and light track duty, I highly recommend the Axxis Ultimate compound. It has an OEM dust level (in some cases, a tad higher - 10-15% - but not much more), the dust is non-corrosive, runs silent/very quiet, is very rotor friendly, has excellent wear rates, has 15-20% more braking torque than the OEM Honda compound, and is fade-free up to 1000F (versus ~650F for OEM). It is also very affordable...$92.25 for the front and $56.25 for the rear. I am offering a 20% off promotion to NSXCA members on the Axxis Ultimate.

For a more aggressive setup, that will stop better on the track, but still give you excellent streetability, the NSX will do well running the Ferodo DS2500 in the front, and the Axxis Ultimate in the rear. The Ferodo DS2500 for the front is $98.00.

For a full-out track setup (non-race), an excellent setup is the Ferodo DS3000 in the front, and the Hawk HP Plus in the rear. The Ferodo DS3000 is $139.99 for the front. The Hawk HP Plus is $69.20 for the rear set; NSXCA members receive a 10% discount on Hawk products.

Many people don't think you should mix brake pads, but this is really a misconception. If you _know_ what you are doing with regards to setting up a brake system, you can mix brake pads without sacrificing performance. If you don't do it correctly, you can have problems...but that's where I come in. :)

Full-race brake setups require far greater attention than that for a street/track vehicle. When advising on race-duty brake setups, I need to know about the entire car (brake hardware, suspension setup, brake hydraulic setup, tire choice and pressures) as well as the driver's driving style, etc.

If you have any questions, let me know at [email protected], or drop me a line toll-free at 877-562-9237. I am available afterhours at 954-240-3896 - this is basically the "i'm at the track and didn't bring an extra set of brake pads, etc...can you overnight a set to my hotel"-hotline. :)

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin
Cobalt Friction Technologies www.cobaltfriction.com

"Who's stopping _your_ NSX?"

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 09 July 2002).]

Are you coming out with "even better" custom compounds anytime soon ??

How do the above pads compare with your "old" pad -- Carbotech Panther Plus ??

biggrin.gif

Andie,
Andie,

What is your recommendation for OEM replacement rotors...slotted, dimpled, or both?

------------------
Ron
1991 NSX (black/black)
2001 M3 (silver/red)

Ron,

Neither...Brembo OEM replacement rotors without slots, dimples, or holes.

That's the short answer.

The long(er) answer is:

While slots, vanes, holes, and dimples all assist in cooling the rotor, the rotor itself (which has these "modifications") can withstand LESS heat before cracking/warping. Essentially, while the cooling rate is improved, the terminal heat that can be sustained is decreased.

However, that being said, for street driving (no track driving, just aggressive street), you can safely use slotted or dimpled rotors...they actually aid initial "bite" in the rain/wet. Just don't take it on the track. There are a few exceptions, such as triple-machined slotted rotors, but these are not available for OEM applications, and are used typically in race setups (read: $$$$).

So, for most vehicles, you can get a Brembo OEM replacement rotor for reasonable costs. In the case of the NSX, the OEM Honda rotors are very good...if you can get a good price from Eric Milam at Niello Acura, then I'd go for it. I can get the Brembo OE replacement rotors for you if you wish...will have to check availability.

The easiest way to improve braking performance is by selecting the proper brake pad for your application, and not with the rotor.

HTH... Let me know if you have any other questions.

Andie W. Lin
[email protected]

Custom compounds are still under development.

However, we have many products available to meet the needs of our fellow NSXers.

For aggressive street, autocross, drag, and light track use, the Axxis Ultimate and Ferodo DS2500 are excellent choices. The Hawk HP Plus is also available for those looking for a street/moderate track pad. For a full-track setup (non-race), we would go with the Ferodo DS3000 in the front, and the Hawk HP Plus in the rear - excellent braking balance, and formidable bite, with very high fade resistance. All of these solutions are very cost effective as well.

As always, if anyone has a question about their brake system, feel free to drop me a line at 877.562.9237 (toll-free), or send me an e-mail at [email protected] .

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin

------------------
andie w lin
cobalt friction technologies
www.cobaltfriction.com
tel: 954.828.1512
fax: 954.828.1517

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:

Neither...Brembo OEM replacement rotors without slots, dimples, or holes.

............. [deleted]

So, for most vehicles, you can get a Brembo OEM replacement rotor for reasonable costs. In the case of the NSX, the OEM Honda rotors are very good...if you can get a good price from Eric Milam at Niello Acura, then I'd go for it. I can get the Brembo OE replacement rotors for you if you wish...will have to check availability.

Andie, I thought the floating hat concept was a further improvement on the basic design of a rotor by keeping the mass for the pads/rotor yet allowing additional venting and lower overall weight.

Does the Brembo rotor have more mass than the oem, or AEM, or Aero ...... too bad does do not fit 97+ ... I actually called them and the NSX 97+ size dooes not yet have many applications to make it their worthwhile ........

Hrant

Rotors manufactured to OEM specifications, but with a floating hat assembly, should have no greater mass than the OEM rotor (the rotor section itself).

A floating rotor/hat assembly serves the following purposes (listed in order of importance):

(1) The rotor and the hat are able to expand and contract at their own rates, which in turn greatly reduces the possibility of mechanical failure. Most mechanical rotor failures result from cracks developing at the rotor (swept area)/hat interface, as the hat itself is subject to the stresses imparted on it by the wheel, which is torqued to the hat and hub assemblies. Further, much of the heat developed by the rotor is conducted to the hat, which, due to the combination of insulation and pressure from the wheel/hub, does not cool as readily as the rotor itself.

(2) To reduce heat transfer from the rotor to the hat to the hub to the wheel.

(3) Results in more uniform and predictable brake pad application and wear.

HTH... -Andie

So a rotor with a floating hat "is" the better choice all things being equal, when compared to an oem set up right?

So when are you introducing one for the 97+ models ......
biggrin.gif

By the way, last year we saw our first oem rotor failure at THunderhill; it was an early model year and it broke off where the hat meets the rotor surface ........ fortunately there was no accident as a result given the run off area .......

Originally posted by Hrant:

By the way, last year we saw our first oem rotor failure at THunderhill; it was an early model year and it broke off where the hat meets the rotor surface ........ fortunately there was no accident as a result given the run off area .......

Hrant, it was 3 years ago I believe. I was in the car. Can't believe times fly by so quickly.

------------------
Register for NSX driving School at Thunderhill (9/3/2002) by clicking here

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Hrant, it was 3 years ago I believe. I was in the car. Can't believe times fly by so quickly.

Was it really 3 years ago, then it must have been at our first Niello Acura sponsored track event, ..... Alzheimer's disease must be starting to creep in .......... time sure flies when one is having fun ........
wink.gif

Yes, both on paper and in the real world, a floating rotor/hat design is better than a fixed, single-piece rotor...overkill on the street, but better on the track and under race conditions.

-Andie

Andie thanks for the excellent customer service. I was able to get to my driving event and stop very well due to your service.
Thanks
Leonard Musgray
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer

***NOTICE TO NSXCA AND NSX PRIME MEMBERS***

I have been out of stock on the Axxis Ultimate for the NSX for a week now...sold out in short order.

I am receiving a shipment next week of 30 sets, so if you've been waiting to pick up a set for your NSX, just a heads-up!

NSXCA members will receive a 20% discount from list on the Axxis Ultimate brake pads until the end of August. NSX Prime members will receive a 10% discount from list.

You can find out more about the Axxis Ultimate, as well as Cobalt's entire product line (which ranges from brake pads for daily-driven street cars, to GT-spec and formula race cars) on our website at: www.cobaltfriction.com

or, just drop me an e-mail at [email protected] with any questions you may have.

All orders received by 3pm EST will be shipping the same day. All e-mails will receive a response within 24 hours, but typically within 1 hour.

ALSO...stay tuned for a Cobalt Friction Technologies contest on NSX Prime for a free set of Axxis Ultimate brake pads, which will occur once every 4 months. Cobalt will also be raffling off (no entry fee required) one bottle of Ate Superblue Racing or Ate Typ200 Gold brake fluid per month on NSX Prime!

Best Regards,

Andie Lin

------------------
andie w lin
cobalt friction technologies www.cobaltfriction.com
tel: 954.828.1512
fax: 954.828.1517

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 10 August 2002).]

Back