• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

common issue with factory CD changer (earlier models ~91-92)

Is there an issue with earlier CD changers where CD-R playback sound as if the disc is scratched? I've had two factory CD changers and both of them have this issue. When a CD-R is played, it sounds as if it's scratched. I haven't tried regular discs yet.

Does anyone else have this issue? My car did not come with a CD changer, so I bought one on through NSXPrime. It had the scratching noise, so I bought another one. Same deal.

I would rather stick with factory stuff, but I might be forced to go get the Alpine unit. What do you guys think? Were there any revisions in the factory CD changer, other than later years getting the addition of MP3 capability?

Thanks,
-Brian.

what do you mean by sounding scratched?

You mean the CD playback sounds like a vinyl record that has been scratched? Where the pops, hiss and clicks are regular?

A CD will suppress errors and cause "drop outs", the OEM player might try an compensate by interpolating.

Which problem do you have?

You sure it is not the amps going out?

Try using a fairly old CD---10+ years old. Modern CDs have changed the way they have mixed music and are really starting to sound like crap. Or burn some high bit mp3s into wav's and see what that does.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

I have a factory changer and I don't have that problem. My only problem is that its old and I'm itching to buy something else so it can play mp3's.

wouldn't know... i took mine out and replaced it with my ipod haha.

when I did have it in though, I could play burned CD's just fine:confused: if you are having issues with playback in 2 seperate changers I would wonder if your wiring is picking up noise (the cable does run all the way around the trunk to the drivers side, through the engine bay behind the drivers seat, across to the passenger side, down to the floor, and to the head unit. Lots of room for something to happen in other words.

I suppose it's not so much like a vinyl record, but just everything sounds scratched - similar to when listening to the radio with bad reception.

The idea that the wiring is picking up noise scares me. Sounds like a nightmare to check the entire wiring from the headunit to the trunk.

I'm pretty sure that it's not the speaker amps going out. The passenger side speaker is newer and I will soon send the driver side speaker out to BrianK just because it sounds weaker than the newer speaker. The sub/center amp has been disconnected (and is also going to BrianK).

I'm going to try the old CD tip and see if there is a difference. Generally, it seems as if songs on later tracks sound more "scratched" than earlier tracks. Time to experiment tomorrow.

-Brian.

The sub/center amp has been disconnected

Well, that means you have no highs or lows.

And if one of your amps is "weak", well dood, you don't have much of a system to listen to at this point. You are going to get a lot of hard mid-range and it is not going to sound pretty at all.

Amps and speakers are 90% of the system. A well functioning NSX audio system under-performs on a good day...

try burning at 12x or less

Is there an issue with earlier CD changers where CD-R playback sound as if the disc is scratched? I've had two factory CD changers and both of them have this issue. When a CD-R is played, it sounds as if it's scratched. I haven't tried regular discs yet.

Does anyone else have this issue? My car did not come with a CD changer, so I bought one on through NSXPrime. It had the scratching noise, so I bought another one. Same deal.

I would rather stick with factory stuff, but I might be forced to go get the Alpine unit. What do you guys think? Were there any revisions in the factory CD changer, other than later years getting the addition of MP3 capability?

Thanks,
-Brian.

Brian! Your post came to mind as I was driving to work this morning. I have great tickets to a Crowded House concert coming up and decided to burn a CD with the songs expected on the set list. I put the CD in my changer (It's a Lexus CD changer BTW) and wouldn't you know.....the CD sounds like it's scratched! Every darn song!

I burned 2 CDs, one was a slave that I noticed was analog recorded. Possibly that CD is the one I used today. I gave the other CD to a friend that will also go to the concert.

Anyway - I now know exactly what you mean by "scratchy" if indeed it was a burned CD. If your changer works fine with original CD, I'd think the issue is in the burning or finalizing of the copy.

When I have access to the NSX, I'll try this same CD to see of it's scratchy on that changer. I've played other burned CDs on the NSX changer with no problem whatsoever.

Shaun

Well, that means you have no highs or lows.

No highs, no lows.. must be Bose. :)

Shaun Ray, Crowded House is still together? Wow.. I'm going to try with an original CD to see if I encounter the same problem. I tried burning at 8x (lower speed) to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Since the majority of CDs I play are mixes, I'm going to check the CD Changer wiring this weekend to see if there are any cuts in the insulation. This sounds like a painful process.

Could it be a defective headunit?

Shaun - by chance, do you have a older model Lexus? I've had an issue with the CD changer in my SC300 that was resolved by using Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs (basically any blank CD media that reads "Made in Japan"). To rule out this problem, I've tried by TY and Ritek CD-Rs with the same result.

-Brian.

So I just checked with an original CD (not burned) and voila! no scratching noises.. just pure music.

For the people with older model CD changers, what media are you using to burn you mixes with?

Thanks,
-Brian.

This is a common problem I've experienced with a few old Alpine changers as well as a few others. The older changers aren't really compatible with CD-R technology of today, as explained to me once a long time ago... laser will overpower to read the lower reflective CDR media, sometimes can even result in burning the laser diode out, which would create a read problem on all media.

So I tired many different blank media with better reflective properties and found that with a combination of lower burn speed 4~8x with either Verbatim (Avail at Futureshop aka BestBuy silver labelled CDR media), and the original Kodak gold CD-R's (from earlier years don't know where you can get these now?), & TDK Audio CD-R (Probably the best! I think you can still buy these too?) worked perfect, and sometimes only get a bit 'scratchy' sounding near the last few tracks of the CD's or took a bit to start reading them. Scratchy might be a bad thing, might be indicating the almost end of the laser diode's life? A bit of trial and error and you'll probably find one brand to work better than others.

Here is another option, I've also got an iPod adapter, or even installing a more recent changer with CD-R & MP3 compatibility alpine S634 in the DIY section see here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/Alpine-S634.pdf

BTW... the Bose system in our cars is an absolute piece of junk, not to mention one of the crappiest 'high-end' systems I've ever heard in all my years spent in car-audio. Even in my new 2000 NSX-T system is almost exactly the same as my older 1991. A bit of dissapointment seeing how they changed so many things in the NA2 models, but left the BOSE system intact. :( Save your $$$ and upgrade to a double din something less dated. ;)

Last edited:
No highs, no lows.. must be Bose. :)

Shaun Ray, Crowded House is still together? Wow.. I'm going to try with an original CD to see if I encounter the same problem. I tried burning at 8x (lower speed) to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Since the majority of CDs I play are mixes, I'm going to check the CD Changer wiring this weekend to see if there are any cuts in the insulation. This sounds like a painful process.

Could it be a defective headunit?

Shaun - by chance, do you have a older model Lexus? I've had an issue with the CD changer in my SC300 that was resolved by using Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs (basically any blank CD media that reads "Made in Japan"). To rule out this problem, I've tried by TY and Ritek CD-Rs with the same result.

-Brian.

Yup, CR got back together for a tour this year. I am pumped as I think Neil Finn is one of the finest songsmiths of our time.

My Lexus is a 2001 ES. Just bought it a couple months ago. It replaced my '97 3.5RL. This is the first burned CD I tried in the Lexus. After the most recent post regarding burned CDs and reflectivity, etc. I'm wondering if I should keep them out of the NSX? Never had trouble before.

As for burning speed, I have an older RCA CD burner. Not sure what speed it burns at. You just put the original CD in and the blank disc in the other drive and presto - a copied CD! I usually burn on "high speed". Normal speed is real time (1 second = 1 second) and you can listen to the original CD as it is being copied.

Not much help, huh? Oh well, at least you know regular CDs are working well.

Shaun

Just another data point, but I've seen this as well, however, less so on 74 minute discs than 80 minute ones. Might be worth a try...

Back