• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparing 360 w/ NSX :)

Ken,

no i did not. Just moved back into my house and things are still in boxes. Hope to take out the 914-6 this weekend. Let me know when you get back.

vince

vdavie said:
Ok WhiteNSX,bring your little white car down to sunnyvale or ? and we can put this to rest to see what car is faster. I dont think its going to rain this weekend..let me know. If your car is as fast as your mouth i don't stand a chance.

v
Vince,
What are you smoking? You and I have been talking about the build quality of the Ferrari 355. Then you started getting this delusions of someone calling you names and stuff. Now you are challenging me in a cowardly road race to settle this "BUILD QUALITY" argument instead of supporting your points with some logical and well thought statements????!!!!! So if your 355 is faster than my NSX, that proves that your 355 has better build quality than my NSX???!!! And what do you mean by if my car is as fast as my mouth? I have never once said that my car was faster than your car! A Corvette is faster than my car but proves no superior build quality. Am I the only one here that has realized your incoherent and illogical thought process. Seriously, if you can't come up with some valid points to support your weak argument for your 355's "superior build quality", you should admit you are wrong now instead of diggng deeper and deeper. :confused:
Steve

My Subaru Outback Wagon, 4 cylinder with A/T is faster than both the NSX and 355/360 in the snow, so there!!!!!! (and after you both smack up those beautiful cars while trying to race me in the snow, my "build quality will be better too!!!) :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Now, that should put this entire thread to rest!!!!!

My oh my! How a topic can get totally out of control in a day!

Going back to the topic at hand...

Eric5273 said:
So are you saying a 355 will be the same speed as my '03 NSX?
I agree with that statement.

Eric5273 said:
I had figured since the 355 had 90 more hp and was 200 lbs less that it would be quite a bit faster.
It's not, because Ferrari is notorious for overstating horsepower figures, and understating curb weights. The horsepower difference is considerably closer, and the curb weight is actually heavier, assuming you're not referring to the special Challenge edition.

Eric5273 said:
According to the car magazines I read, it was good for 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.
Nope. The car magazines typically test the F355 in numbers that are very similar to the NSX. For example, Road & Track tested the F355 Berlinetta (coupe) in October 1994 and it achieved numbers (0-60 4.9, 1/4 13.3) typical of the 3.2-liter six-speed NSX-T. They tested the F355 Spyder (convertible) in January 1997 and it achieved numbers (0-60 5.3, 1/4 13.7) typical of the 3.0-liter five-speed NSX Coupe. Other magazines have similar results.

Eric5273 said:
The best number I have seen for my NSX is 4.9 seconds in a Road & Track test done a couple of years ago.
The 3.2-liter six-speed NSX-T usually tests around 4.8-4.9, occasionally 5.0. (For example, it achieved 4.8, and 13.3 in the 1/4 mile, in the May 1997 Motor Trend.)

Of course, we all know that acceleration figures don't tell the whole story, but those are the figures that the magazines consistently report.

This whole thread is like two teenage boys comparing "SIZE", Mine is bigger, NO! Mine is thicker, Oh Wait, I can get a penile enlargement, and I will be BIGGER! We should get back to 360 vs. NSX. and drop the rest.

BTW, I was fortunate to drive a 360 about 3 yrs. ago, It was a amazing experience. The leather smells so good, like a good GUCCI shoe, the exhaust sound incredible, better than any NSX that I have ever heard. (Don't bash me, I love NSX) :tongue: It was a experience that I will not forget, may be one day I will be able to get a Ferrari. At this time, the cost of ownership is a major deterrant.

i guess it depends on what you read, i have not seen any 0-60 times slower for the 355 than 4.6. Also, i have always thought Ferrari understates hp figues as does Porsche and a few others. As far as weight goes, I do not think it weighs more than the NSX, maybe the same. So the only way to clear this up is lets match the two cars on a track.

vince

vdavie said:
i guess it depends on what you read, i have not seen any 0-60 times slower for the 355 than 4.6. Also, i have always thought Ferrari understates hp figues as does Porsche and a few others. As far as weight goes, I do not think it weighs more than the NSX, maybe the same. So the only way to clear this up is lets match the two cars on a track.

vince

dude you need to let it go already who cares about 0-60mph espeically when that applies to the 6 speed, your F1 F355 is the best the fastest and the baddest!

Btw the topic was about 360 vs the NSX.

vdavie said:
i guess it depends on what you read
And whether you are quoting actual sources, or just what you would like to believe. Unlike those claiming faster numbers without providing any sources, I have quoted actual magazines that anyone can find and check for themselves. Here are a couple more: F355 Spyder, Motor Trend, October 1995, 4.9 and 13.4. F355 Berlinetta, Motor Trend, May 1997, 4.8 and 13.2. Maybe you can find a 4.6 somewhere - there's always an "outlier data point" somewhere - but 4.8-5.0 and 13.2-13.4 are the most common, "consensus" figures for the F355, just as they are for the 3.2-liter NSX-T.

Again, these are non-Challenge versions. The Challenge edition undoubtedly performs better, just as the Zanardi and six-speed NSX Coupe perform better than the NSX-T, but I am not quoting tests for those. These numbers are for the higher-production versions.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like if I want significantly better performance than my NSX, I would have to go up to a 360. Actually, the way 360 prices seem to be falling, a '99 or '00 360 could possibly be affordable to me by next year. I'll have to see. Or maybe I will just get a new Viper. Then I would roast both of those cars. :tongue: (I actually do like the new Viper)

But since I never take my car on the track, what is more important to me is how fun the car is and how fast it feels. I'm sure that great Ferrari whine that the 355 has would be cool and 8500 redline is even better than 8000! I'll have to test drive one and see how I like it. What is attractive is how well they seem to hold their value. The talk on the Ferrari board is that the 355 model is likely to level off around $65-80k during the next year and then it should pretty much hold there for quite some time.

Eric5273 said:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like if I want significantly better performance than my NSX, I would have to go up to a 360. Actually, the way 360 prices seem to be falling, a '99 or '00 360 could possibly be affordable to me by next year. I'll have to see. Or maybe I will just get a new Viper. Then I would roast both of those cars. :tongue: (I actually do like the new Viper)

But since I never take my car on the track, what is more important to me is how fun the car is and how fast it feels. I'm sure that great Ferrari whine that the 355 has would be cool and 8500 redline is even better than 8000! I'll have to test drive one and see how I like it. What is attractive is how well they seem to hold their value. The talk on the Ferrari board is that the 355 model is likely to level off around $65-80k during the next year and then it should pretty much hold there for quite some time.

it MAY hold it's value if you don't put any miles on it :)

THonda said:
This is indeed one of the differences between NSXs and Ferraris. Ferrari market values vary quite a bit due to differences in mileage. NSX market values don't. The conclusions you can draw from this are:

- If you're buying a Ferrari, you'll save a significant amount by getting one with more miles than average. If you're buying an NSX, you won't save as much - so you may as well buy one with lower miles than average.

- If you own a Ferrari, don't drive it any more than you have to, in order for it to maintain its market value. If you own an NSX, drive it as much as you want, as the impact of the mileage on the market value is less significant.

Incidentally, one other difference is that "average mileage" figure. NSXs put on an average (median) of 5K miles per year. With Ferraris, the median is less than 2K miles per year. I suspect the market value factor is at least partially responsible for this.

Not sure how much the 360 will drop, but a 99 or 00 i think will be around 125k. The 355 does and will hold it's value. As far as milage goes, i think that is with all "supercars" mileage always plays a part. Having said that, i agree that a lot of Ferrari's have low milage and it is indeed a buying or selling point. The 30k service on a 355 is about 5-8k depending on who does it. Yes, it is much more than a NSX. The other Ferrari that seems to be going up in value is the 328. Its an excellent first Ferrari, not as fast but bought right you will never lose money on it.

vince

emvanderpol said:
The '99, '00 360's are going for $100K - $110K.
There are currently 17 1999-2000 360 Modenas for sale on Autotrader. 14 of them have asking prices of ~$130K to $150K, one is at $125K, and the other two have significantly-above-average mileage (3-5K/year, which is high for a Ferrari) for $119K and $115K. Even taking into account the difference between the listed asking prices and actual selling prices, I doubt that you can get any other than one of the last two for your stated price range; $125-135K is more realistic, maybe $120K if you're lucky.

emvanderpol said:
about twice that of a comparable year NSX.
For a really nice '99-00 NSX, you're looking at low fifties, maybe high forties; a high-mileage '99-00 NSX drops to the low to mid forties. So the 360 is at least two and a half times the price of a comparable NSX.

nsxtasy said:
For a really nice '99-00 NSX, you're looking at low fifties, maybe high forties; QUOTE]

Most 97's I am looking at still want mid 40's. I don't think you will get any low mileage 99-00 for high 40's.

NetViper said:
I don't think you will get any low mileage 99-00 for high 40's.
There are currently 22 1999-2000 NSXs listed on Autotrader, not counting one with no price and one wrecked. Four of these are under $50K, including one with below-average mileage and one with average mileage. Three more are under $55K, including one with average mileage, and you might be able to get these for just under $50K also.

emvanderpol said:
It can be done. A little over 6K/yr.
Yes, exactly. Just as I said previously, the only 360 Modena you are likely to get in that price range is one with mileage that's much, much higher than average. Thanks for providing additional evidence to prove my point.

Getting a 360 Modena with 25K miles on it for $100-110K on it is like getting a '91 NSX with 150-200K miles on it for $20-23K. Sure, those are reasonable estimates for those cars. But I wouldn't use those examples to conclude with generalizations that you could get a nice '91 NSX for $20-23K, or a nice 360 Modena for $100-110K.

THonda said:

Good point. This is actually one of the reasons why I'm going to consider getting a Ferrari. A few years ago I looked into getting an old 308 or 328, but at the time I was looking for a daily driver and the maintenance was just too expensive to drive the car 10k per year. When I got my NSX, I was using it as a daily driver. But now I just got a second car to be my winter car and daily driver. So over the next year, I expect to only put 3k-4k on the NSX. This would also be reasonble milleage for a Ferrari with only needing a major service once every 4 years.

Just one point I want to bring up about this entire thread. You guys are discussing the Ferrari in the same context that they discuss the NSX on the Corvette Board. The same old tired comments they make about the NSX being overpriced for the performance is what I am reading here about the Ferrari.

There is no doubt that anyone who buys a Ferrari is paying for exclusivity, the name, and how fancy the car looks, feels and sounds. Performance is only a part of it. And the Ferraris do feel more luxurious than an NSX. The entire interior of a 355 or 360 is covered in leather, not just the seats and door planels. The attention to detail in the body of the car is much more artistic -- with the rear grill on the 355, or the see-through engine cover on the 360, or even the wheels on both cars. You are paying for a work of art, not just a performance vehicle.

So if you are going to argue which car is faster, a 355 or NSX, might as well throw a C6 vette into the argument. The person who buys a 360 for 2.5 times that of a NSX is buying it for a different reason than the guy who buys the NSX.

Back