• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparison of Air Intake Systems

I've seen a bunch of fragmented discussions on this but want opinions on lower-cost systems that have the best sound without cutting down on power. The ones of seen that are not way up there in $ are the RM Carbon Fiber system, a K&N cone filter, and the Dali Monster filter. These are all reasonably priced. I took off the engine cover which adds a little to the sound, but want to add more to the sound without having to purchase a new exhaust system. Opinions, anyone?

Thanks for the responses. I have a couple of additional questions:

1) I went looking on the Net for the K&N FIPK system but it appears that it's only available for up to '94 models. Mine is a '99 Zanardi. Can anyone confirm this? Will the version available not work properly with the later model?

2) I haven't seen any posts about Dali's Polished Monster kit. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

I put an injen intake on my car, you can check them out on the web i think at injen.com but not sure right now since i am away from my computer. Has a k&n cone filter. I got the red one for $125, hard to beat that.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Stew,
With regards to the Dali Gruppe M's kevlar intake, I think he calls it the super mondo huge something or other? I have one and I can tell you it was the one single best purchase I have ever made for modifications ever! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with it, power gain might be a bit but you won't really notice it too much, however the sound is amazing!!! From the drivers seat it really sounds like you have exhaust done, and I gaurantee you will be on full throttle all the time just to hear the motor purr. Any friends that sit in your car or drive it will basically say "wow". People always think I did the exhaust but haven't (yet).
Go for it you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the info.

In regards to the Injen system, there web site claims that it can only be used up to a '97 model. I left a message for them to see if that is still the case.

In regards to the Gruppe M system, the big question is: Why is it $792?. That's getting close to a new exhaust system. Jon, have you heard Dali's other intake, their Polished Tube Top Intake? Or have you heard RM's Carbon Fiber Intake? Also, does the Gruppe M system requre an bending of any lines of any sort. I thought I heard that RM's requre bending of something or other.

Thanks

Here's my take on this...
#1 K&N FIPK IS in fact available for '91 models, as I bought one through Shucks auto supply last year. Sounds excellent. No seat of the pants gain whatsoever.
#2 RM Cold Air intake. Sounds just like the FIPK, except its SUPPOSED to draw cold air from the side duct. No seat of the pants power gain.

If you want to go Cost effective, I would guess that the RM Cold air kit would be the best. Cold Air can't be BAD...although I did notice that it needed to be cleaned after only 1 month.

Originally posted by Stew:
In regards to the Gruppe M system, the big question is: Why is it $792?. That's getting close to a new exhaust system. [...] Also, does the Gruppe M system requre an bending of any lines of any sort.

The Gruppe M carbon fiber intake is expensive because it's Japanese. It seems like nearly all Japanese parts are more costly than their American-made counterparts. Or maybe it's because the Gruppe M intake is considered to be the "best" and they know people will pay-up to in order to have it.

Whatever the reason, the M intake sounds amazing for just an intake-- if you're adverse to messing with a new exhaust system, then it's the next best thing. It also looks better sitting in you engine compartment than all the rest-- I get lots of compliments on it or curious people asking "what's that?!?!"

And if later you decide to get an aftermarket exhaust, you may find the intake compliments the sound of the exhaust. I recently installed the Gruppe M V2 exhaust and from the driver's seat, the exhaust and intake harmonize together beautifully! Neither one totally drowns out the sound of the other.

Installation is very straightforward and doesn't require bending anything.

// The Gruppe M carbon fiber intake is expensive because it's Japanese. //

Hey, that's not true :)

My GT Japanese exhaust system is LESS than all three American made systems.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/SoS_TAITEC_family/GT_Parallel_Exhaust/

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back