• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Compromised unibody/frame... how would you address this? JH4NA1150MT002868

So, I posted on this Build forum because this has recently come up for me.

Backstory is that I purchased an NSX with an previously undisclosed frame issue. The front rails are swayed over, one is pushed back, rear one is pushed forward. Whole car acts weird while driving - pulls right under hard braking and left while under hard acceleration. Relatively straight otherwise.

Shop tells me that if they begin the repairs that they will not be able to replace the previously repaired (heated) sections as they are unavailable. They would need to replace those sections because the new pulling would make them brittle and prone to failure. They would not even consider used parts.

If you ever had frame issues, how did you handle?

Sell the car for parts. It sounds like the damage is too much to repair correctly.

I HAD a full clip standing by when my rails were damaged. Ultimately, my repair was minor and I sold the clip about six months ago.

So, here are the results....View attachment NSX Alignment.pdfView attachment NSX Frame Plot Plan.pdf

The first document is pretty straight forward...it is the pre/post alignment reading results. Only so much I can do with the settings. I took a video of the car going down the highway. I will post that as well.

The second document is the plot diagram from the frame shop.

I am thinking a new front clip would take care of both rails. Rear could be pulled I suppose. Am I on the right track here?

Last edited:
Closing out, I decided to sell the car. After much investment (thanks Project X, Leatherseats, Shawn in Florida, etc.) into parts and labor, I could not overcome the fact that the car would need attention to the frame/suspension. So, I sold it to a fellow that feels that he can correct it. Judging by the prices being asked for these cars and what I know the parts to be, I think I am the only owner that has lost money on an NSX. Meh.

I can "imagine" who can do this car right (in Florida)!
I went through over 16 months of rebuild to get my (front-end damaged) NSX back on the road. This Forum, the Vendors, and the technical expertise/advise allowed me to recover my vehicle...so good luck with your next NSX.

I have seen NSX's like that before which were repaired , but it is not an easy job and very expensive.
If you have the NSX repair manual, you can find where all the weld point are
Basically, it came down to this.
The whole front of the car was stripped, then all the original weld points were drilled out. After that, the front frame rail assembly can be pulled from the car.
Then another rail without damage was inserted back (from a donor car) and all the welds were redone, connecting the part to the rest of the chassis.
Basically and if done well, the shop will be repeating what was done at the NSX factory.
After that, sealing the chassis, repainting and putting back all the removed parts.

Like sais, it's not an easy job and certainly not cheap. But done right, and according to factory specs, you would have a car that's just as good to drive as the original one.

Back