• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Carbon Fiber Intake

Hey guys I'm new to this board and I have a few questions. First off I have a 91 NSX that I drive occasionally. When I bought it brand new in 91 I was going to keep it stock, but now I want to mildly customize it. So I was wondering if anyone has the Comptech Carbon Fiber intake? If so what do you think of it? Does it help any? I really like the fact that its made out of Carbon Fiber but $700 is a lot for an intake in my opinion Also I'm looking for headers and a cat back any suggestions there? I'm leaning towards a DC Sports setup, but any real world suggestions would be great.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 26 April 2000).]

I had a CT airbox before, a little for sound, didn't felt any HP improvement. Then I switched to GruppeM, God damn...check my site for some write-ups for it. I think Mark is selling them now.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Attachments

• 1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - PCB bottom side 2016-09-19 19.36.16.jpg
    1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - PCB bottom side 2016-09-19 19.36.16.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - cracked solder joint 2016-09-19 19.54.57.jpg
    1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - cracked solder joint 2016-09-19 19.54.57.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - resoldered 2016-09-19 20.16.38.jpg
    1992 Acura NSX PGMFI main relay - resoldered 2016-09-19 20.16.38.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like the God Damn is only in reference to the sound? At $700+ I would hope that some HP improvement would accompany the sound.

What's the verdict there?

Attachments

• DSC_0432.jpg
    DSC_0432.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0431.jpg
    DSC_0431.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1
No one has been able to add any significant hp to the NSX by switching the air filter/box. It was well designed in the first place. My 2000 Corvette C5 made a 19hp jump with a K&N. It's stock intake was very restrictive.

Basically, you get a much better sound. That's all.

PUREVIL-
Nice pics of your car on the other posts. Where do you live? I'm new to the board also, have a '91 NSX. I saw you are 24, I'm 23...anyone else on here around our age? I'd love to find some people around our age with NSX's in the area.

Originally posted by PUREVIL:
Hey guys I'm new to this board and I have a few questions. First off I have a 91 NSX that I drive occasionally. When I bought it brand new in 91 I was going to keep it stock, but now I want to mildly customize it. So I was wondering if anyone has the Comptech Carbon Fiber intake? If so what do you think of it? Does it help any? I really like the fact that its made out of Carbon Fiber but $700 is a lot for an intake in my opinion Also I'm looking for headers and a cat back any suggestions there? I'm leaning towards a DC Sports setup, but any real world suggestions would be great.

------------------
'91 NSX: Red/Black, Equip 3 piece wheels, RM Racing Whiteface guages, K&N Filter, Killer $5k stereo, performance exhaust, last owned by Alice Cooper

Originally posted by KillerNSX:
PUREVIL-
Nice pics of your car on the other posts. Where do you live? I'm new to the board also, have a '91 NSX. I saw you are 24, I'm 23...anyone else on here around our age? I'd love to find some people around our age with NSX's in the area.

Ya, I am 20. But unfortunately live in the WA area as opposed to sunny Cali.
smile.gif

Ahhh, very good....glad to see we're keeping this forum at the age where people can enjoy the car the way it's meant to be enjoyed instead of a mid-life crisis car. I just sold my '91 Corvette Convertible- the 'vette forum was just a little too old and stuffy for my taste! =-)

--I'm in North Alabama, wish I was in SoCal to join in all the fun, but I'll have to find some here. At least I have the twisties in the mountains to enjoy my car and zx-6.

Originally posted by Edo:
Ya, I am 20. But unfortunately live in the WA area as opposed to sunny Cali.
smile.gif

------------------
'91 NSX: Red/Black, Equip 3 piece wheels, RM Racing Whiteface guages, K&N Filter, Killer $5k stereo, performance exhaust, last owned by Alice Cooper

Edo,
Where do you live in Washington? I'm 26 and live near Bremerton,own a 97 NSX.It would be great to meet some other NSX owners now that summer is near.What color & mods have you made to your car?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DashCommand-Quarter mile data.jpg
    DashCommand-Quarter mile data.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0
Alright kids, what's all this talk about mid-life crisis NSX owners? I got my car as a 40th birthday present to myself. And if what I infer from your posts is correct, I drive it like an old lady on her way home from church because I'm over forty.
Well, I have to tell you that on the track I am pretty fast, and I have shamed many younger drivers behind the wheels of "fast" cars. Both on the track and on the street.
I want to assure you that not only do I enjoy the car "the way it's meant to be enjoyed" but I just might be able to show you a thing or two on the track as well.
Careful my friend, many people read these posts and we don't want to step on any toes!

I assure you that post wasn't meant to offend anyone, and I'm quite sure you could kick my a** on a track. =) It was all in fun my friend...what I meant by it was in a nutshell:
Doesn't it seem that by the time you can finally afford a car like this (or more for that matter) that you are too far past the prime age for it? The time when you could be most admired for it (say, high school, college, etc) is long gone, but you've finally earned enough to justify the purchase. I wish I could have had this car in high school (which was when I got my first ride in one, and knew this was one of my dream cars) if for nothing more than to show off.

I apologize profusely for the way it was stated. I guess I've been the outsider for too long on the corvette forums and clubs- not that I'm too young to take part, but I'm excluded 'cause I don't have any war stories or memories of the 40's to join in the conversations. I was looking for people my age because I could find people that share my same interests in the car, rather than the past as I'm used to.

Am I helping myself out of my ditch at all? =P

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
Alright kids, what's all this talk about mid-life crisis NSX owners? I got my car as a 40th birthday present to myself. And if what I infer from your posts is correct, I drive it like an old lady on her way home from church because I'm over forty.
Well, I have to tell you that on the track I am pretty fast, and I have shamed many younger drivers behind the wheels of "fast" cars. Both on the track and on the street.
I want to assure you that not only do I enjoy the car "the way it's meant to be enjoyed" but I just might be able to show you a thing or two on the track as well.
Careful my friend, many people read these posts and we don't want to step on any toes!

------------------

[This message has been edited by KillerNSX (edited 22 May 2000).]

Nuff said. I didn't take THAT much offense, but the amount of grey in my hair has certainly excluded me from ever again being a part of 'your' generation.
As for 'past the prime age for it': I teach High School, and every kid in town with a "well meaning" dad drives an M3, or a Z28, or even a Rousch Mustang! I take pride in the fact that I, at my ripe old age of 42, can finally drive a car worthy of worship by almost anyone of any age (even those dads!). Hell, at this age, I earned it!
I accept your appology. Now let's kick some M3 butt!

I bought my car for how I admire it, not how others admire me. I guess when you reach your mid fifties your priorities change. By the way, ChopsJazz, I just won the NIRA Spring Nationals in Comp 6 (normally aspirated 6 cylinder). Score one for the “beyond mid-life crisis” crowd! Also, does everyone realize that we own the fastest normally aspirated 6 cylinder cars on the planet?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm 25 with 92 Red/Blk.
From my observation. The youngsters use the cars mainly for show, and traffic lights launch. I've yet to see someone around my age in the track. IMO the older owners knows "the way it's meant to be enjoyed". I've seen them driving very fast on the track and on drives after monthly club lunch. Sacramento, CA region is going to schedule an exclusive NSX track event in Thunderhill, CA. Let's all try to be there and Show us kids how to kick ass!! And for us Kids, There are a lot of things we can learn from this mid-life crisis guys!!

I am 26 from New Jersey, I have a white 93, and I can't stand the fact whenever I see another NSX on the highway or a back road they drive like my Grandma.

I'm 24 in SoCal.

I track my car regularly but NOT my NSX (yet). The reason you don't see too many younger guys on the track is because of cost - if you break your car, well, it's not cheap! Plus you have to deal with chips, lots of wear and tear, etc.

If anyone is interested in helping me fund my car habit - hire my company: www.choiceinternet.com

Then maybe I'll start taking the NSX to the track.

smile.gif

Attachments

• 94NSX-08.jpg
    94NSX-08.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 94NSX-06.jpg
    94NSX-06.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 94NSX-04.jpg
    94NSX-04.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 2
Originally posted by AndrewB93:
I am 26 from New Jersey, I have a white 93, and I can't stand the fact whenever I see another NSX on the highway or a back road they drive like my Grandma.

Hey, I dont know about you, but I find that the faster the driver, generally the less performance oriented the car. How often have you seen a '99 Honda Civic CX hatchback screaming down the freeway at its redline limited 105mph or so. I personally think it would be perfectly ok to drive slow (Not unreasonably so). You are 26 so you just recently snuck out of the under 25 insurance category. I on the other hand at the ripe old age of 20 get grouped into the same category as the Civic driving idiots who get 8 tickets and 14 accidents. And consequently MY insurance goes up due to THEIR ineptitude. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox. Just wanted to say that I think it is much more mannerly and stately to drive in a normal manner.

Attachments

• 94NSX-34.jpg
    94NSX-34.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 3
I actually agree with the last one....

I like having the power I need to avoid being hit by the idiots aiming at me with their chunk of metal. That doesn't mean I always speed everywhere, just when appropriate.

And I think everyone took me wrong when I said drive it as it was meant to be driven. I personally would never take any car of mine to the track- I just don't have the cash to put into a car that I'm pushing to its limits and begging it to destroy itself. I don't think the NSX was ever made to be a straight line drag champ. The prepped civics will beat the NSX any day at the track, but I don't want to own one! =)

------------------

Attachments

• 94NSX-36.jpg
    94NSX-36.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 17
Edo said:
Hey, I dont know about you, but I find that the faster the driver, generally the less performance oriented the car. How often have you seen a '99 Honda Civic CX hatchback screaming down the freeway at its redline limited 105mph or so. I personally think it would be perfectly ok to drive slow (Not unreasonably so). You are 26 so you just recently snuck out of the under 25 insurance category. I on the other hand at the ripe old age of 20 get grouped into the same category as the Civic driving idiots who get 8 tickets and 14 accidents. And consequently MY insurance goes up due to THEIR ineptitude. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox. Just wanted to say that I think it is much more mannerly and stately to drive in a normal manner.

I have to agree, I save my performance driving for back roads that allow me to experience the car the way it was meant to be driven. However when I am in town, I do drive like a grandmother, but I am the grandpa (35 years old) with the car every one wants!
93 Black/black

Back