• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Headers vs. A/C compressor

Here's one for the braintrust:

I have my car in for some air conditioning work and my tech is telling me the a/c compressor was overheated by the headers and began leaking. I understand the Comptech header was approximately 1 inch away from the compressor, compared to the stock setup where it's more like 6 inches. I'm not familiar with the install of the headers as this was done before I bought the car, but I have paperwork showing it was done by Mark Basch, so I can assume the install was done correctly...

Does anyone have experience with this? The technician is going to call Comptech in the morning but I thought I would go fishing for some advice tonight...

thanks as always,
jamie

Jamie, I'm flattered. Your tech is practising the worst kind of diagnosis- uninformed guesswork. Those headers only go on one way, and the incidence of compressor failure is no greater in cars with headers than in those without. If anything, I would guess (if I were into guessing) the other way around. The factory manifolds are heavy cast iron boat anchors and hold alot more heat. On the other hand, the thin wall headers do not. When you are moving, the air turbulence clears out the hot air. When you are stuck in traffic, the exhaust is at its coolest because of the low engine load.

I hope he is not charging you extra for an in-depth failure probabilty report.
Or the call to Comptech. :wink:

OK, that's good news. My tech and I were both considering that the headers may have been no factor, It's nice to rule that out. New compressor goes in tomorrow...

Thanks Mark -

jamie

Back