• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech S/C NSX as a daily Driver?

I'm curious to know from current Comptech owners or those who have driven one as to whether they feel an NSX w/ a Comptech S/C and Comptech clutch is suitable for daily driving? Is the clutch action going to become too much effort on a daily basis? How much more effort do you feel this clutch is over what I consider to be a very light stock clutch. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I drove a CTSC'ed NSX with the CT clutch. I was surprised how light the pedal effort was. The effort was only a bit more than stock and after twenty minutes, my leg was completely immune to the added pedal force. On the other hand, I have heard of how hard the pedal effort is on other CT clutches. My advice? Go with a stock clutch. GASP, what are you out of your mind?
eek.gif
No.

I had an aftermarket clutch that had to be replaced because a piece of metal broke off the retaining tab that held one of the springs in. The wear material was only 50% gone - and this was after 28k miles on that clutch. Simple math says that clutch would go to +50k miles. Hmmm, not too bad. What if I replace that aftermarket clutch (brand new vs rebuilt steel) with a stock one? What if it only gets 40k miles? Or 30k miles. Big deal, that means I have to replace the clutch one year sooner.

My experiment is to see just how long a Honda clutch will last in a supercharged NSX. The current clutch has been holding up to a supercharged flywheel for 5k miles w/o any problem. Now granted 5k miles is just the beginning, but my money bet is riding on Mother Honda.

I never use the clutch as a hill brake, I never feather the clutch excessively, I track the car and my footwork is so far away from sloppy it is almost perfect. Oh, forgot something - the clutch is successfully transmitting 435 HP to the tranny.

I agree with Andy. I think the stock clutch, if not totally abused, will handle quite a bit. I also think rebuilt stock clutches IF DONE RIGHT, will have a good life. 30K-50K is not bad for a dual plate performance clutch. We all know it is hard to drive these cars without any spirited manner!!

I will say that my experience with the Comptech PGII left me thinking this is noticiable more effort then the stock clutch. I drove a CTSC 9psi 1999 NSX with the PGII clutch, virtually a brand new setup.

I guess when you say "daily driver" are you in "stop and go" traffic, or a 30 minute highway ride to work. The former would say to me "OEM clutch"

JMHO,
LarryB

Back