• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

comptech superchargers

guys, just bumping around the ctech web page today and noticed the pricing on the s2000 supercharger at ~$4800, roughly 1/2 that of the NSX supercharger.

I understand the s2000 is centrifugal, but shoudn't the pricing be a bit closer? does this cause anyone to think the pricing of the NSX supercharger is artificially inflated?

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels
· Wings West side skirts and rear spats

YUP. If the Comptech was 5K, I'd have one already. It's probably a supply and demand thing. If they could sell 1000 superchargers, the price would probably be lower.
The GruppeM costs almost 10K in the US. With the 40% inflation from coming overseas, wouldn't it be the equivalent of about 6K?
I could buy a cheap ticket to Japan and smuggle it in.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by David:
Vortec type blower kits are the easiest to engineer and tend the be the cheapest kits available.

Guys,
I have heard rumors about one of Vortech's suppliers building a consumer kit based off of the Realtime NSX supercharger kit. I've been looking for more info. Any news? Price?

Vic

Originally posted by justin hall:
I am willing to bet they have many times over recouped their r+d costs, and once there are a few more options for consumers you will see the cost of c-tech's supercharger go down significantly, ......

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 03 May 2001).]

Agreed,

There may be another player very soon. Vortech has posted a writeup on PD Cunningham's RTR Supercharged NSX. The posted picks are small but revealing. Compared to other pics I've seen, these seem to show production parts. The water intercooler is now a production MaxFLow Power Cooler unit and the throttle body now seems stock. It also looks like they are using an inline fuel pump. The link is here:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdwatch/

Vic

Well, from what I remember chatting with Bob and Shad from Comptech about why the NSX SC is alot more than the S2000's is for,
1. S2K is centrifugal, generally less expensive than whipple.
2. NSX comes with alot more stuff to mount the SC. Including alternator bracket, intake manifold, top strut brace, etc.
3. I'm sure there is R&D, overhead, make $$$, marketing, etc also involved.

Just my .02 cents.

------------------
Pics of my TL
Pics of my S2000

Originally posted by socal28:
1. S2K is centrifugal, generally less expensive than whipple.
2. NSX comes with alot more stuff to mount the SC. Including alternator bracket, intake manifold, top strut brace, etc.
3. I'm sure there is R&D, overhead, make $$$, marketing, etc also involved.

Just my .02 cents.

1. Acknowledged in first post in thread.
2. Once designed, can be mass produced.
3. On R+D agreed, but marketing? Come on...

Bottom line, it is a high quality product, that is not obscene looking (IMO) like the Grouppe M. I just think that it costs way too much, 10% of the cost of the car (new)? Outrageous.

I bet worthy competition that impacts how many c-tech can sell - someone capturing marketshare - will drive c-tech down to the $6-6500 area.

Hello,

Sorry guys for not posting for sometime, I have been very busy, however in a Sport Compact Car a few years back, there was a white NSX from Cali who JG built a custom Vortex Supercharger kit with the Spearco water to water intercooler? Does any one know this individual and there is a perfect mock setup to copy since it looks identical to the current Cunningham Comptech NSX.

------------------

Originally posted by newtyp:
Hello,

Sorry guys for not posting for sometime, I have been very busy, however in a Sport Compact Car a few years back, there was a white NSX from Cali who JG built a custom Vortex Supercharger kit with the Spearco water to water intercooler? Does any one know this individual and there is a perfect mock setup to copy since it looks identical to the current Cunningham Comptech NSX.

I have this issue of Sports Compact Car with the white NSX. I was about to ask the same question about this individual (Penesche??). The installation looks similar to PD’s car except the blower is flipped around. The intake of the blower points to the driver side and is plumbed to a cone filter on the driver side. In the Realtime car, the intake is taken from the passenger side intake. The white NSX’s installation requires engine cover removal whereas the Realtime installation is completely below the cover. Other than this and the fact that “Penesche’s” car made 369 rwhp at Jackson Racing’s Dyno, I know nothing else.

That is George Peniche's car. It is a one-off job and is not the same as the one on PD's car - see the photos below. Also, the 369 HP was just a magazine number, not a streetable number (it involved dry ice, whereas PD uses a real intercooler...)

PD's car:
pd_2.gif

George's car:
nsxpo99-may07-0042.jpg

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 04 May 2001).]

Back