• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Unit

Two questions men:

1) My mechanic thinks the Comptech unit should not have a noisy rotation like the bearings or gears inside the unit are making a grinding noise. Is it normal to have some mechanical type noise or is it suppose to be as smooth (no noise at all) as say in-line skates' wheels/bearings.

2) Anyone know the size of Torqs/ Allen wrench/ Hex wrench that removes the dip stick? Is it a conventional hex or is it a star pattern?

Danny. RED SR 71:smile: :biggrin: :wink:

At certain low RPMS: it can be extremely rough and noisy, especially those above idle.

To the point where it can cause panic....but "Don't Panic".

Drew

Mine sounds smooth, I only hear a slight gear whirring sound that becomes somewhat stronger as the car winds-up. There is a serious differance between sounds of gears properly meshing and that of failing gears or bearings. When you check the fluid level in the supercharger check the oil on the dipstick very carefully for singns of metal flakes, metal flakes showing up in any oil is not a good thing. How old is the unit?

Bob

Last edited:
Bob Kenney said:
Mine sounds smooth, I only hear a slight gear whirring sound that becomes somewhat stronger as the car winds-up. There is a serious differance between sounds of gears properly meshing and that of failing gears or bearings. When you check the fluid level in the supercharger check the oil on the dipstick very carefully for singns of metal flakes, metal flakes showing up in any oil is not a good thing. How old is the unit?

Bob

What year did you get yours? I heard that later units didn't have the rattle. Mine is 2001 and still has the rattle. (I just figure, that's what hungry horses sound like at rest :) )

The CTSC I have is a 2004.
Describing noise is often difficult, what I consider normal gear noise you may find loud and/or objectionable. My exhaust may be loud enough to overwhem the sounds of the SC gearing. In an effort to gain a clearer understand the noise you are referring to I started my NSX last night to carefully listen to the sounds coming from the SC.
The gear noise I heard is what I have come to expect from high speed gears. I believe that the noise you may be referring to may be coming from the belt and ideler pullies/rollers and not the gear case of the supercharger. I did notice more "ramdom" noises coming from the drive belt and pully assembly, I have read in other posts that as bearings and drive belt wear they are a source of noise. Has anyone else had the same finding?

Bob

Bought my CTSC in April of 2004. The noise I hear is not a gear shattering grinding noise, it's just a vibration type of noise like the blades are suppose to turn. More like a noise if you took the oil cap off and listened to the valves open and close. This would sound normal to me.

Danny. RED SR-71 :smile: :biggrin: :wink:

Check the oil level, mine gets loud if it is even a bit low. I keep mine topped right up to the max line with 10-30 Mobil 1.

Not Correct

Shumdit said:
All the Whipple ones (which would be every NSX CTSC made until a month ago when the new Auto Rotor blower came out) will make this noise.

The latest Whipple units make no noise at idle. I bought a new unit about two-and-a-half years ago, and it was wonderfully quiet at idle.

Back