• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Consignment anyone try it?

I got a buddy who is well networked in the auto field, and says he can consign my car for a measly $300 and gaurantee my asking price. Has anyone here tried consigning, this is really tempting so I don't have to deal with Nobie's and offensive offers. I would much rather have an experienced person(prime-member) by my car that appreciates an A-B+ grade car and doesn't lowball/dreams:biggrin:

I have done it once and never again. I was selling a suburban and wanted $5,000. They went past the contract date of 6 months before they even responded to my questions about the car. When I demanded the car back after the date they said they had a seller and then gave me a bad check. I sued, won the case, went to collect and found out the company had done this before, has about 30 claims against them and wait in line. Eventually the guy went to jail, and they are closed. I am out $5,000. I try to make myself feel better by rationalizing the dealer was only offering me $2,000 at trade in and another used car lot was willing to buy it for $3,000. Blue Book for the truck at the time was over $8,000 in a private sale.

Lesson learned and It cost me $3,000 (I guess best offer) and a lot of agrivation. Going forward either trade it in or sell it privately. Auctions are also iffy, I did that once, but it depends what you own.

Most consigners have claims against them so it's tough to say this could be prevented. Most are OK, as long as they are in business and are planning to stay in bussiness, you never know. These guys had collector cars in the show room and decent references.

Best of luck,

Tytus

Ask a fair price, put it on craigslist, they will come. Screen through emails instead of over the phone so you don't waste as much time. People think limiting it to only 'serious buyers' by demanding phone calls saves them time/effort but after two sentences in to an email I know whether to read on or hit delete.

I tried it with my NSX and I ended up collecting the car back from them. I only paid them $300 and they had the car for six months (during the winter) and they came up with no qualified buyers. I will add they took excellent care of the car and it never left the showroom (I checked the odometer before I dropped it off and it had the exact same mileage when I picked it up.)

I got solicited by a ton of consignment shops promising they had several buyers willing to pay my asking price "right now" if I gave then the car and paid their fee. All of those people just pissed me off. I would say if you are so sure you have a buyer for my asking price then why are you trying to pull a fee from me? Tack the fee onto the buyer's end. They would never agree to that -of course. The local car papers seem to work well for me- here it is The Diablo Dealer.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Looks like its not really gona go far down this route, guess I will just sit back enjoy the summer and be patient. If a person that knows a good Nsx is ready he/she will come.

More reason to take some trips and enjoy her :smile:

Did with a pick up......ended up getting it back after months. Stuff missing off vehicle......never again!

Please don't take offense to my comments but I SERIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW WHY PEOPLE TRUST THEIR OWN CARS TO CONSIGNERS!!!!!!! :mad:

WHO CAN TAKE CARE OF A CAR BETTER THAN YOURSELF? NO ONE!!!

There is no free lunch and if you want a fair price on your car, you need to sell it yourself with patience. Just saying you want a fair price is BS cuz everyone who's buying wants a good deal and if you are the seller you want the highest price possible.

IF you don't like to haggle, either don't sell the car or you won't sell it period.

I would never trust selling my own car to someone else cuz who knows how they treat the car. I can only imagine tire kickers all trying to sit in the car and damaging the seats with carelessness or kids climbing inside.

It's like unlocking your car and giving free reign on it. Would you let me climb into your car and just play with it? That's what will happen if you give the car to someone else to sell it.

rk

Back