• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Consumer Guides NSX Pricing waayyyy off

yea wow, WTF!

Wow, I way overpaid! I should have checked that web page sooner. :wink: It is interesting to see what the pricing should be if normal depreciation scales are used against our cars. It shows the impact of emotion and limited quantity on price.

Last edited:
Wow, I way overpaid! I should have checked that web page sooner. :wink: It is interesting to see what the pricing should be if normal depreciation scales are used against our cars. It shows the impact of emotion and limited quantity on price.

That's true, because it doesn't matter what they list on that website, the banks and other finance companies don't factor those things in.

Who ever wrote this I think that he is comparing this to a 4 seater car! Room and comfort should be out of the equation since this is a sportscar so dumb! Anyways probably the writer doesn't drive one.

The author never had a look in the sales market, he has absolutely no idea at what prices NSXs sell. So the whole article is pretty irrelevant (to me).

Down right insulting!:mad:
Shows the fact that this author don't own one & really needs to own one b4 he puts his foot in his mouth. He forgot to mention this car is Tied to the 3x world champ legend (Ayrton Senna) himself, which no other car will ever have.
NSX should only be own by pure enthusiast that really appreciates this car, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Joke website is a joke. There's precious little about that page that makes any sense at all. 0 points for "Room/Comfort (rear)" -- it's obvious that you can't use the same scale for a sports car as for a full size SUV.

I looked, but couldn't find a way to complain about it to them. They need to make the prices more realistic at least. If someone tried to offer me $15,000 for my car based on this website, my reaction would be something like this:

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Okay, Consumer Guides emailed me back (yes, I did send them an email with a small complaint). The email sent to me is as follows.

We update prices every year on our used-car site, and they are in the process of being updated now; new ones should be in around the first of the year. They are updated by an outside consultant. He bases them on such sources as Kelley Blue Book and the Black Book (which is usually only available to dealers), not on what people are asking on the web.

I have a current (late-2012) Kelley Blue Book "For Older Cars" in front of me, and the highest value given for a 1997 NSX is $26,200 for a Targa in Very Good Condition at Retail. Auction price of that same car is listed at $19,950. Non-Targas are about $500 less. That's still higher than the $23,000 we list, and I'm not sure if the value has gone up or down in the past year, but it should be close. Where did you see $37,300 listed?

By the time cars are this old, not many sources cover them, so I don't have immediate access to any other "official" source that would list a '97 NSX.

By the way, I drove not only a mid-90's NSX here, but also one of the original '91s. Superb car.

I told him I appreciated him writing back and I sent a follow up email referencing prices that included both KBB and NADA for all conditions (fair - excellent). Everything I found still puts their values considerably off.

And this is what I sent him in return, except I included links in my email for each query:

I'm guessing here on the following statement but: I think what you guys take into account is all the factors of cost in owning an NSX which is not factored in with KBB or NADA? It would also appear that the prices you are referencing is perhaps "Average Trade in" value, not "Average Retail Value" I would think that for a website like that, you would want to post what a consumer could expect to pay in retail, not what a dealer might offer as a trade in. Either way, the numbers are very misleading.

Take a 1997 NSX-T 6spd w/83,000 (I recently purchased this vehicle)

KBB suggested private party retail for "very good": $35,779
KBB suggested retail for an "excellent condition (only choice)": $39,979
KBB trade in value ranges from $29,974 - $33,174 (on a fair to excellent scale, it still appears your numbers are quite low)

NADA retail pricing (does not differentiate between private party or dealer) "average retail": $38,800 (low retail $31,700 , average retail $38,800, high retail $49,000)

The average retail value of the 'NSX-T' I purchased just one month ago has gone up from $37,300 to $38,800 according to NADA.

KBB fair value trade in for all years NSX with 50,000 miles (many earlier models will have more but at some point, this stops mattering)

1991 (not listed)
1992 : $25,750
2005 : $57,186

Again, the above is for fair value only. I did not list each year, we can both understand the range given the information provided.

I know auctions use NADA black book (National Auto Dealers Association) and banks use NADA/KBB to determine max finance value. Most financial institutions will allow finance up to the average retail value of a vehicle. Surprisingly, non targa '97+ NSX's are valued at much higher (in the collector world) because they are lighter and therefore quicker but you are right, they book for less.

Last edited:
I love the NSX, but most of the Gen1 are over priced because we put our emotions into them. We are all trying to hang on to this dream....Our beloved NSX. Like they are so rare and exotic. I do miss my 93' GEN1, but on to next one. GEN 2. Can't wait. :biggrin:

I didn't put my emotion into Gen 1, it's an old car, and it's not rare in Bay Area. Over priced? sometimes I asked myself what other cars can I get with $75K that is MR and aluminum chassis?

I don't think that you had a 93' before. Do you have any photos and VIN to show us?

Last edited:
I'd go out and get a loan for as much as I could and buy up all the NSX's at those prices I could, then flip them for the going rate. Why I would have one in every color and one to drive for every day of the week... sounds awesome.

Some guy pulled out his smart phone in June and checked some book price, to see what my NSX would be worth... he told me it came up $38k to $39k for a pristine 91, which he said mine was... (that was kind of him...)

I didn't ask him to check... he asked me what one like mine would run... and I told him, probably about $30k, maybe a little more. That's when he went surfing and told me the value he showed.

I should have asked the source.. and asked if he was a car dealer or something... He had his 911 (he is part of the Porche Club of America) and his 68 Saab S4 with him. But I didn't and I haven't seen him since.

I'm not looking to sell... so to me it is a moot point.

As far as future value... sometimes I wonder if the awaking Asian giants, China, etc. if they may desire collecting NSX's and if so, if they would drive the NSX market higher. Just my pondering... I don't own a NSX in the hopes of striking it rich... I bought one because they are a beatiful timeless car, well built and they won't kill you to maintain (even though some parts can get costly... still a bargain for an exotic).

Back