• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS's?

I am considering some continental Extreme Contact DWS tires ---stock 15-16" sizes for my 92NSX. The comments from owners seem to be very positive. I don't expect any track use and are primarly concerned about tire life and all weather safety performance. I will have the car alignment upgraded to tire life---ie tow-in, tow-out and camber. Anyone have any first hand experience with these tires?

Re: Continental Extreme Contact DWS's???

I have them on my car 17/18 setup for DD no issue very good ride I have only put about 7k on then they still look new they are little bit lighter than other tires and good for DD as far I know. Good luck.
Ravi

I have a set of 19/20 setup on mine and it's a smooth ride and handles well.

I have a set of these on my 1991. They are the stock 15"/16". I put them on prior to heading down to Las Vegas for the NSXpo. Put close to 4600 miles on them. They still look like new to me. I do notice that they track a bit in the lane tracks on the roads, if you understand that. They are grippy, but not as good as the Yokohamas I had on before. They are really good in the rain/water/slush I found out.

I bought them just as an inbetween set to have on while I researched other High Performance Summer tires that would be my good tires. They were relatively cheap from Tire Rack and they were in stock, which is the main reason I bought them, because I was short on time before leaving for Las Vegas. I am happy with them so far so I see no reason to switch.

My car is stock, it isn't used for racing or auto-crossing. It is just a daily driver. It gets exposed to rain occasionally. So I wanted a relatively good performance tire that could handle the rain. Good Daily Driver tires.

I have a set of these on my 1991. They are the stock 15"/16". I put them on prior to heading down to Las Vegas for the NSXpo. Put close to 4600 miles on them. .... They are really good in the rain/water/slush I found out.
Must be a Canadian thing. I also have a set on my '91 (but 16/17); got them from Tire Rack; and put them on prior to heading to Vegas for NSXPO. On the way down, we went through plenty of rain/freezing rain/snow/slush and traction was very good. In addition to the 3000 miles there and back, we also did the two track days .. but with two drivers so twice the wear.

I'm sure I sacrificed a lot of life (went through a set of brake pads) but they worked very well on the track. I would have gone with the DW's instead of DWS's but had trouble getting them in 16/17 size .. and wanted the 'S' rating for the drive to Vegas 'just in case'.

Thanks guys---I once worked for Goodyear and know a little bit about tires but there is nothing like personal experience for comparison. I normally get like 80,000 miles out of truck tires etc. but I also am very concerned over perfromance car tire wear. Both of my 928S4s with fresh alignments and new tires would cup the tires within 6-8K miles. My C5 Vette did the same dam thing. So I would spend $200. per tire and within a year, need new ones and they would only wear on one edge which drove me nuts. Even my wife's 06 civic did that in the back until Honda owned up to a design error on their upper control arms and replaced them.
Now to shop around for the Cont's
Tks Huck

I put them on my wife's MINI earlier this year. They have been really good tires, great dry traction for a 400+ treadware tire and the wet traction is just ridiculous.

I'm planning on putting them on my daily driver once the ones on there are done.

Last edited:

I have them on my car 17/18 setup for DD no issue very good ride I have only put about 7k on then they still look new they are little bit lighter than other tires and good for DD as far I know. Good luck.
Ravi

Update
Chnage my Mind they SUC had to call Canti HQ won;t be buying Conti again

How so? I've got them on 2 of my cars (IS300 and Clubman S) I've put about 15k miles on one set and about 10k on the other and they still have TONS of tread left, they have been great for an all season.

They are geat all season tires. Not great summer tires. Sidewalls are soft so the ride will be comfy at the expense of steering turn in/ response. I have them on one of my e39's and really like them.

Update
Chnage my Mind they SUC had to call Canti HQ won;t be buying Conti again

Can you give more details on what happened?

I think people might be getting confused here as they seem to be talking about two different tires with very similar names (ExtremeContact DW vs DWS).

Continental ExtremeContact DW (for Dry & Wet - Max Perf Summer)
co_extrm_contct_ci2_l.jpg

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (for Dry, Wet & Snow - Ultra High Perf All Season)
co_xtrcontactdws_ci2_l.jpg

I think most NSX owners will opt for the ExtremeContact DW tire, as it is a higher performance Summer tire (Traction "AA" & UTQG of 340, vs the DWS Traction "A" & UTQG of 540).

I think people might be getting confused here as they seem to be talking about two different tires with very similar names (ExtremeContact DW vs DWS).
I think most NSX owners will opt for the ExtremeContact DW tire, as it is a higher performance Summer tire (Traction "AA" & UTQG of 340, vs the DWS Traction "A" & UTQG of 540).
iagree.gif

Keep in mind, all-season tires provide a lower level of performance in moderate to warm weather (including rain), which is traded off for the added capability of okay grip in extreme cold and snow. If you don't drive your NSX in snow or in temperatures well below freezing, you'll get much better performance by using summer tires. (And if you DO drive it in snow or bitter cold, you may want to consider getting a second set of wheels with winter tires, so you have the best grip all year round.)

My DD is not an NSX, but I just went from Z1 Starspecs to the Cont Extreme Contact DW... I must say the ride is quieter and more cushy, but the steering response is very noticeable. I went for the switch for tire life, but as soon as I left my wheel shop I instantly missed my Z1's. Hope they last a good deal longer. I havent pushed them yet as they are still being broken in, but I will update later after 500 miles.

the steering feedback is terrible with DWs in my opinion. while the Contis are quieter and last longer etc I would not recommend them for the NSX as they take away from the 'well tuned feel' of the car. i have about 8k miles on mine and still about 50% of tread left.

Excellent tires I put them on everything but my NSX. LOL I went with a softer compound tire for the NSX. But the Continental Extreme Contact are excellent tires especially for the money. They last a long time ride nice are quiet and handle snow well for an all season tire. (Edit: I use the DW and have no experience with the DWS)

Last edited:
My DD is not an NSX, but I just went from Z1 Starspecs to the Cont Extreme Contact DW... I must say the ride is quieter and more cushy, but the steering response is very noticeable. I went for the switch for tire life, but as soon as I left my wheel shop I instantly missed my Z1's. Hope they last a good deal longer. I havent pushed them yet as they are still being broken in, but I will update later after 500 miles.

The Z1 is on the bleeding edge of sticky UHP summer tires with a 200 treadwear.

The DW is a bit less performance oriented and has a treadwear of 340.

It's an apples to oranges comparison and a bit unfair to compare the two.

Last edited:
The Z1 is on the bleeding edge of sticky UHP summer tires with a 200 treadwear.

The DW is a bit less performance oriented and has a treadwear of 340.

It's an apples to oranges comparison and a bit unfair to compare the two.

I am well aware, I was simply stating my experience. Many people use the Z1's and there has been quite a bit of talk about the DW's. The grip of the DWs are actually quite impressive, just lack the feedback.

Back