• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Converting the spare tire area to 'cargo' space - anyone done this?

MJK

Legendary Member
After reading This thread I started getting ideas. I carry my toolkit with me in the trunk, and thought it would be really neat if there was some sort of box that would bolt into the spare tire location. I was thinking of an aluminum box, foam lined (more or less like a gun case) that uses the stock attachment points. This would lower my vehicle weight, keep the weight balance closer to stock, and give me a little more cargo room.

I do not have metalworking capabilities, but thought some of the more industrious members of prime may have been down this road before. Anyone tried this?

I thought of welding a piece of strong, but flexible plastice at the bottom, where there is opening on both side. Cover it up, screw it in, and be on my way.

RM Racing sold a lockable metal box that bolted in place of the spare tire. You will occasionally see one come up for sale from an owner.

I could see it as being a helpful addition for track days, but it would get awfully darn hot in there.:eek:

ncdogdoc said:
RM Racing sold a lockable metal box that bolted in place of the spare tire. You will occasionally see one come up for sale from an owner.

I could see it as being a helpful addition for track days, but it would get awfully darn hot in there.:eek:

I didn't know that - thanks for the info! All I have to do now is find one...

Cargo Area

Be careful not to block too much of the open area. You do not want to block the radiator air flow going out those open areas. It could really warm things if you know what I mean. :eek:

If I were to consider removal of the spare tire for weight reduction or storage space, I'd look at those nifty Pelican cases...

http://www.pelican.com

Something like the 1420 might work nicely.

1cases_1420.jpg

http://www.pelican.com/pdfs_productes/1420.pdf

Lightweight, durable, o-ring seal...

-Jim

This is a custom box I had made.

Gary

Attachments

• fd2da08b.jpg.orig.jpg
    fd2da08b.jpg.orig.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 641

what are the red things?

WOODY said:

what are the red things?

One Bad A$$ front suspension.

Looking at the metal box in the pictures I'm wondering if it would no be possible to use one of those cartridge-cases that you can buy at any dump-store. Those boxes are usually very strong and have a positive locking-lid on them. Looks like a .50-caliber case would just fit right in there.

Re: box from RM

nsx1164 said:
Here are some shots of my storage box from RM

Bolts onto the battery tray.

Do you have any more pics of this box inside and out. I'll need to get something like this made since I got all the stereo stuff in the trunk :rolleyes:

It would be cool if someone mad a carbon fiber box like this...

Back