• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

corvette C6 info

was looking around to see what's coming from other manufacturers and stumbled on to some post at www.corvetteforum.com (see gm-news.com).
Interesting info on the new C6 ( "rumours" ). There is talk about the car being 200-400 lbs lighter, which I've read from many different sources, but what really caught my eye was that the Z06 varient potentially will be powered by a no cam motor, in other words electronic valves with upwards of 500hp. And the car already outpaces the Z06 by far around the track, that says a lot as the Z06 is about as fast as a track day car available right now.

I read that too.

It's interesting to note that the gminsidenews.com domain has been yanked in the last day or so.

I frankly think a lot of that info was similar to the S2000R nonsense floating around.

I thought the aluminum hydroforming was plausible but I didn't think Chevy could easily reduce the weight by 200-400 lbs over a Z06. Maybe 200...but not 400.

When the writer got to the electronic valve stuff, I realized it was just someone's fantasy. I know that technology is being worked on but I think it's still 5 years out.

I do think the C6 will be much improved in the area of interior quality and refinement however. And that's one area that I think we'll all agree is really needed.

Just like the next-gen NSX, everyone's waiting for more info and pics - so rampant speculation and fantasies are commonplace.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

The 200 number gave it away for me. The vette already uses a very light composite for the body and is pretty minimal on unnecessary weight. Dropping 200lbs would require the kind of treatment given to the NSXR- louder, racing seats, no AC/stereo, etc. Chevy would never do that for their general production model. It would take an aluminum body to drop that kind of weight.
biggrin.gif

GM Inside News is back up -- looks like they were revising engine specs on the C6.
biggrin.gif

http://www.gminsidenews.com/C6.htm

Weight savings reportedy from:
- hyrdro-formed aluminum frame (from XLR)
- composite plastic windshield, windows and greenhouse
- carbon fiber hood (being considered)
- more use of magnesium and titanium

Base C6 evidently out-performs the C5-Z06 by "a large margin". The rumored C6-Z06 will feature several interesting engine innovations, with Viper-class output.

Back