• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

cost for new starter and labor?

yo

Registered Member
as the subject sugests, how much did/would you pay for a new starter? I am pretty sure my starter solenoid is going out and i am going to replace the whole 'setup'

I am curious to get an idea before i call a dealer...

ryan

I was quoted a total of $1100 for a new starter with labor from my local dealer who said the starter itself ran, I believe, $675.

Instead of that, I had the starter rebuilt for $75 and it took a buddy about 1 1/4 hours total for removal and reinstallation.

About 2 weeks ago, my NSX started to exibit strange behavior. After a wash, i went to start the car, and all i here is 'click'. A wait a few seconds, then it pops right off. I figured it i got something wet, and that was it. Then the car did this a few more times, so i replaced the battery. While the battery did make a difference in a few other things, starting was the same.

currently i get 3 different results when i try to start:

1) the car simply goes 'click' (i hear the click from the rear)
2) the starter will turn over maybe once or twice and then nothing
3) the car starts right off

Most of my friends are telling me they think it is a starter solenoid. I have also heard that if your solenoid needs replacing, your starter will soo too?

what do you think is causing my starting problems???

Ryan

Ryan,

The starter has an integrated seloniod, so you cannot easily buy the seloniod, you need to replace your starter motor. As RS034 mentions you can have it rebuilt at a good auto electric shop.

Before you do that, I think it is a good idea to really inspect all the wiring and insure it is clean and tight, especially the large lead bolted to the starter and the small push connector that activates the selonoid. Based on your description it does sound like the starter/selonoid is tired. Basically they get dirty (clutch dust gets in there and mucks them up:).

It is not too bad to replace it, remove the air cleaner, then two bolts hold the starter in place. Also as RS034 mention about a hour or so.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, thanks for the reply.

When you say wiring, you are refering the the starter wiring, correct? I will check that. As for battery wiring/leads, these were cleaned and inspected when i replaced the battery.

I will get in there tonight and check it out.

Anyone know of a good auto electric shop in Colorado?

ryan

I am having the same issues as "yo".

I would appreciate any info on a good auto electric shop in the LA/Orange County area.

Also, do you think that the main relay could also be a contributor to the issues with the starter?

Anyone know the replacement cost for a new main relay?

Thanks!
-Michael.

I would suggest taking the car (if it can be started) to a good electric shop. They could probably get a tester in there to determine if it is truley a starter problem. I actually removed my starter first. The grand total for rebuilding the starter was less than 50 bucks.

Ryan

Back