• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

cost of clutch replacement

Just curious how much other 97+ NSX-T owners had paid for their clutches.

I'm getting my clutch replaced at Niello Sacramento. They quoted me about $2,700 for parts (not including 20% discounts for NSXCA members) and $900 for labor (not including 10% discounts, which came out to a total of about $2970.00(including discounts).

Initially, the cost of replacement would have cost me $1600, including labor, but they told me my flywheel was so worn out that they can not resurface it and need to have it replaced, which cost $1900.00 alone.

Is this too much?

[This message has been edited by PHATNSX (edited 20 February 2003).]

Originally posted by PHATNSX:
Just curious how much other 97+ NSX-T owners had paid for their clutches.

I'm getting my clutch replaced at Niello Sacramento. They quoted me about $2,700 for parts (not including 20% discounts for NSXCA members) and $900 for labor (not including 10% discounts, which came out to a total of about $2970.00(including discounts).

Is this too much?

I paid $2700 with using Comptech's power grip II. No discounts. Clutch was $1850 labor was about $800.
I don't know if your price is a good price, but it's not too far off of mine.
Len
n9s5x-t (6spd)

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 20 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Bustedbonz:
That sounds a little high. I just got a quote today for my '99 NSX-T at the local dealer (Seattle area). They said it would be about $1600 for parts and labor (OEM clutch).

Bustedbonz, that doesn't sound right. An OEM clutch replacement for a '91-96 generally runs around $2000 (parts and labor) and my understanding is that the '97+ clutch is a lot more expensive than the '91-96.

This is likely becuase they are not replacing the dual mass flywheel that the 97+ have. The flywheel alone is $2051.81 list. Ken... on the early models, you can't buy the clutch components separately (which is why the 91-96 5-spds are that much). On the 97+, you can buy the disc/pressure plate separately. These are only a couple hundred bucks each.

Your quote from Niello IMO sounds fair, especially with the discount. An added plus is Niello has experienced NSX techs.

In my opinion, since the 97+ flywheel can not be resurfaced, it makes a lot of sense to look at the Comptech clutches when you reach a point that the flywheel is no longer good. You can also make the drive out to Comptech to have them install the clutch.

As well for 91-96, the Centerforce clutch makes a lot of sense since it is far less than a factory clutch.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Originally posted by Bustedbonz:
That sounds a little high. I just got a quote today for my '99 NSX-T at the local dealer (Seattle area). They said it would be about $1600 for parts and labor (OEM clutch).

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

I agree that price is quite fair for a 6-speed OEM clutch w/ flywheel. I also agree with Chris that if you are willing to consider an aftermarket clutch, a Comptech clutch is a very attractive option for 6-speed owners.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
This is likely becuase they are not replacing the dual mass flywheel that the 97+ have. The flywheel alone is $2051.81 list. Ken... on the early models, you can't buy the clutch components separately (which is why the 91-96 5-spds are that much). On the 97+, you can buy the disc/pressure plate separately. These are only a couple hundred bucks each.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Just picked up my car today from Niello and it runs great. The cost for the clutch replacement is a lot of money but I feel more at ease knowing that the price I paid wasn't too bad.

I kinda like the stock clutch. How does the Comptech clutch feels in comparison to the stock?

[This message has been edited by PHATNSX (edited 21 February 2003).]

Back