• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost of ownership -- between 100,000 miles and 200,000 miles?

I've taken my NSX from 40,000 miles to 120,000 and it's been painless.
Nothing 'expensive' has broke yet. New O2 sensors, new alternator, coils, replaced TB/WP. All normal stuff that wasn't that expensive.

I'm curious what the ownership experience is from 100,000 miles to 200,000 miles?
Is it more of the same? Just replace simple things, or does it get more expensive?

im sure if you don't beat the crap out of it everyday, and keep it regularly maintained you'll be fine till 300k. nsx's don't have costly modern electronics that can rack up a hefty bill...honda reliability!!

Last edited:
I bet in that time you will replace the clutch, tb/wp, and maybe the dreaded a/c evaporator (requires dash removal) which will cost between $6-10k total. Don't forget about all the tires you will eat through and other costs like window things, speakers, head unit, bushings, etc which usually go bad too. Now if it all happens over a period of say 5 years then you should factor in about $2k/year to own it- which I think is a fair estimate given my ownership experience.

Last edited:
I have a '91 which I bought in 2001 with 90k miles on it. Clutch had just been replaced and major service (TB,etc). In the last 10 years, I've added 90k miles of my own. During that time, I upgrading the A/C to R134 and added a compressor at the same time (total was about $800 I think) but haven't had to do the evap yet. Probably the most expensive repair item ($1500ish) was I think for tie-rod ends wearing out and at the time there was no way to fix it without replacing the spindles which were the big cost item. I am still on the 90k clutch but I have done another major service (TB,etc). I also did the SOS ABS upgrade (DIY) because of the modulator recycling issue which was driving me nuts. But I think warrenw developed a permanent fix for this that's cheaper than the upgrade. In the ten years, I also paid to have the BOSE amps fixed twice and then finally went with a central amp system. I have no idea how old the shocks are but I bought a set of Bilsteins last year which I hope to get on soon. One seat has a tear in it now so re-doing the seats is on my list in the near future. Haven't done the alternator yet; or the clutch master; or brake master; or fuel pump but clutch master and fuel pump are on my deferred maint list.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that my car is a daily driver year round in Canada. I've put probably 25-30k winter miles on the car at temps down to -40 so I expect to have to replace things sooner than most on at least the temperature prone parts like audio parts. So far, I haven't had to do anything with the head unit or A/C controls. The car was also tracked by the previous owner and by me .. so, again, higher expectation of parts wear. I forgot that I've also had to replace front rotors and new pads all around.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but noticed I never said thanks.
Also, anyone else have inputs?

If you don't mind my asking, are you still on the original clutch?

Yeah, I'm on the original clutch at 130,000 miles. It seems fine. Although I do about 99.999% highway driving.
I'm sure clutch wear is dependent on what percent city/highway you do.

My original radiator popped a seam at about 130,000 miles. Didn't see that coming. Otherwise it's been solid.

I put a supercharger on at 157,000 miles so clearly I'm not too worried about it holding together.

Is the AC evaporator fix really $6-10k??? If so, holy crap that's scary. I just did some searching here and most of the threads show the fix to be about $1-2k; can someone please chime in with more information? If true, this is like that IMS issue that Porsche has or worse, never knew these cars had that issue.

Is the AC evaporator fix really $6-10k??? If so, holy crap that's scary. I just did some searching here and most of the threads show the fix to be about $1-2k; can someone please chime in with more information? If true, this is like that IMS issue that Porsche has or worse, never knew these cars had that issue.
AC drier/evap. fix? shouldn't be much more than a few hundred maybe $1k tops to have fixed, parts are cheap and they aren't such a pain to get to.

he it talking about removing the dash etc. I would say for a dealership to do this would be about 4-7K it so time consuming some people do it during winter as they can do a little at a time.

taking the dash out is a beast. if you need one I have a spare LOL pm me.

don't forget the obligatory repaint because we all know that the factory paintjob is hella orange peel:tongue:

Back