• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cowl Shake With Targa Top Off

Drove a 2004 yesterday with the targa top off. The cowl and dashboard shake was surprisingly noticeable compared to my 1991 coupe. Is this normal for the targa cars? The car only had 8500 miles on it and has no accidents in its history, so I assume it is as solid as any targa car. I didn't have a chance to drive it with the top on. Does most or all of the shake disappear with the top on?

Last edited:
Something is wrong. I drive mine off with the top off a lot, and it is just as smooth on or off. Mine is newer though, so that might have something to do with it.

Something is wrong. I drive mine off with the top off a lot, and it is just as smooth on or off. Mine is newer though, so that might have something to do with it.

I have to agree. I really can't tell the difference if my top is on or off.

Myself, I do notice that it is definitely looser with the top off. Also a friend with a 04 says the same. He said it was not noticable after installing the chassis reinforcement bars sos sells.

Very true w/o the NSX-R braces there's noticiable and uncomfortable shake which is almost completely gone when the braces are added.

You'll have to drive my car next time I see you EXCfive so you can see the difference.

Myself, I do notice that it is definitely looser with the top off. Also a friend with a 04 says the same. He said it was not noticable after installing the chassis reinforcement bars sos sells.

This is also what I have heard. I am planning on doing the Type R chassis and sway bars which, as others have noted, reportedly fixes the cowl shake.

I don't know what cowl shake is, but I have an '02 with the NSX-R chassis braces and the car still flexes (twists), producing a shake that I can feel in the steering wheel. It was there before and it's there after. Is that what cowl shake is? What I'm describing is not present with the roof panel is installed.

J

My 97 is noticably more "flexible" with the top off. I can see the movement of the steering wheel compared to the cowl. I have not noticed any dramatic change in chassis performance as much as what I feel with my hands on the steering wheel.

Drove a 2004 yesterday with the targa top off. The cowl and dashboard shake was surprisingly noticeable compared to my 1991 coupe. Is this normal for the targa cars? The car only had 8500 miles on it and has no accidents in its history, so I assume it is as solid as any targa car. I didn't have a chance to drive it with the top on. Does most or all of the shake disappear with the top on?

The first time I drove a T, a 1997 w/the top out , I thought I had a wheel out of balance big time! Put the top back in and no problem.....I've owned 3 T's (+ a '94 coupe & Zanardi #17) over the years and never take the tops out.

Last edited:
I have the chassis bars... and I think they help.. but do not cure the problem. I was one of the first to write I thought chassis flex was less, but as time has gone by I have grown more suspicious of how much they help. They will not take your cowl shake away.

What no one talks about here, is that none of us are really chassis engineers. And although the type R uses these braces, we don't really know what they do to a targa. The type R is a coupe. It has very different characteristics than a Targa. The bracing may actually transfer load to a less desirable place in the Targa. I am not saying it does, but it is a possibility. I am just warning some caution on making general statements like the R bars eliminate the flex.

Having said all of this, the car with the top on feels as tight to me as a coupe. It probably isn't quite as tight, but it's darn close. There is a big difference once the top goes on.

Anyway, I think its worthwhile to try the chassis bars and make your own judgment, and now there is a front strut bar recently posted. I don't think there are any drawbacks to making the car more rigid.

Was the 04 you drove riding on a stock suspension? I have driven a lot of Targa cars MUCH worse than the NSX. I would not give up the open air for the small bit of extra rigidity.

I am not an expert but I had similar "shake & shimmy" with the top off. I have a 2003 NSX-T. After I installed the NSX-R front chassis & bottom chassis stabilizer/stiffener (SOS) along with NSX-R anti-sway bar, the shakes went away and the creaking when taking hard corners & driveways. If you already have those, not sure what the issue may be...

BJX

Back