• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crankshaft threads stripping

Has anyone ever heard of the threads of the crankshaft stripping out? A friend of mine just had this happen on his 95. I have not heard of this happening on any engine.

Anyway, he does not have access to the internet and is looking for a Crankshaft for a 1995 NSX. Should be in good usable condition. Needing minor machine work is ok, but should be usable in a running engine. Could his existing crank be fixed?

Is there some maintenance we all should be aware of that would prevent this?

I can be contacted at 619-588-8181 or [email protected]

on clutch side or pulley?

Hello it’s been awhile since I have posted anything. This thread was posted for me because I didn’t have computer access at the time and wanted to know what might have caused this.

Here’s what happened. I was pulling the motor out of my car to do some work on the lower half of the car and check for damage after hitting a dear that was dead in the road. As I was pulling the motor to check everything and readjust the timing because it did kick it out of time. I noticed that the Crankshaft pulley was loose on the crank. Upon further inspection I noticed that the key that held the pulley into place sheered off. The pulley basically was pulled tight by the alternator belt.

I go to pull the bolt out that is holding the pulley into place and it will not turn. So I try to move it back and forth a little to see if it might need to be broken free and still no luck. I ended up practically standing on the breaker bar to get the bolt to move. It kind of broke free but it made some squealing and smoking. After about two hard fought hours I get the bolt out. What do I find half way down the threads. Was a bunch of threads from the inner part of the crank still attached to the bolt and stripping out the rest of them as it came out. So I ended up with a useless crank because the key way was jacked up from the key sheering, and the bolt stripping. I don’t have pictures but will get some as soon as I get back to PA this weekend to get my car. This is all pending on the Crank that I bought from Ken from Factor-X. He has helped me a great deal in my search for a crank on a limited budget.

So yes to make a long story short. It was the threads on the pulley side. Don’t know how. If anyone has any insight it would be great.

Thank you

Dave

PS. Over the past two years I have drove my car for a year and the rest of the time the motor has been out. So the mileage is still low, about 110,000 miles. Yes I loved to drive it.

that is VERY odd as it is not possible for a softer metal to strip out the threads of a harder metal...i wonder how this happened. does anyone know how hard the pulley bolt is compared to the crankshaft? i have only had this happen with steel bolts threaded into aluminum.

i hope you get the issue sorted out asap so you can back onto driving that thing!. good luck.

Back