• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC for 04' X: Headers & Exhaust a must for max performance??

Hi guys,

After a week of NSX ownership, I am ready to start modding my X. I am interested in the Comptech standard 6 lbs SC kit. I was originally going to install the intake and supercharger alone, but a rep at Comptech thought I would be leaving 30-40 hp on the table, but they have not done any dyno runs with just the SC kit or with the intake w/o exhaust mods. The reason I am hesitant from doing the exhaust is because I am unsure if I will be satisfied with the new exhaust tone. It would be great if I could get help on the following questions:

1. Has anyone installed the SC kit by itself and how much hp increase did you get at the rear wheels?

2. Is the factory headers and exhaust that restrictive to choke off 30+ hp with forced induction? Does adding the Comptech exhaust parts really wake up the SC kit?

3. How does the Comptech headers and exhaust sound? I don't want the car to sound like a civic with a sewer pipe exhaust.

4. Is there an aftermarket exhaust that makes the X sound more exotic (ala Italian)?

5. How much faster does the full Comptech package make the car? I read a C&D test of a 460 hp NSX that only pulled a 13.0 @115 mph in the quarter mile. This seems a little slow considering a quoted 170 hp increase over stock. What do you think? I am not a drag racer, but I want a good performance return for the money.

6. Finally, how does the SC kit affect the factory Acura warranty?

Thanks for your help.

On model years 97 and up, headers will not make as much of a difference as they do on the earlier NSX's due to the deletion of the manifold in favor of oem headers in 97. If you had a 91, then it is possible you could gain 15-25 rwhp with aftermarket headers and exhaust. However, if you want a 'better' sounding exhaust, then the benefit of an aftermarket exhaust like Tubi may be worth it to you. Tubi is of course Italian, which you state is what you are after.

For headers and exhaust you are looking at a minimum of 2 grand if you go the cheap route. For that kind of money you should get a stand alone like the AEM ems and take it on over to FactorX up by the speedway and let Mikey do his magic on it. That is the only way I see you gaining 30-40 rwhp over the standard install which is around 320rwhp. There is a recent thread you should look for in this section related to a comptech sc install in a late model NSX.

I would seriously doubt you are leaving 30-40HP on the table with a 04 NSX. Maybe 10 and that would be in the exhaust.

1. I think it picks up about 70HP without anything else. Just a guess.

2. I have only talked to one person that did the h/e after the SC and they said they did not notice a difference. I forget who that was though..

3. It will not sound like a civic. Lud has both, he can tell you. His car sounds great.

4. Tubi does, but it costs a bunch. Check out the anytime racing exhaust.

5. The comptech car did not perform well at all. A stock 2004 can run 13.0 in the 1/4. I think you would be looking at mid 12's @ 115+. Again just a guess.

6. I think the comptech does not affect your warranty. You should check with them.

NetViper said:

2. I have only talked to one person that did the h/e after the SC and they said they did not notice a difference. I forget who that was though..
Might have been me. I noticed no gain by the seat-o-pants dyno, but did not dyno after the H/E install. Of course mine was not a CTSC.

KGP said:
Might have been me. I noticed no gain by the seat-o-pants dyno, but did not dyno after the H/E install. Of course mine was not a CTSC.

No, it was someone with the CTSC.

I know you noticed a lot less gain when your BBSC went BOOM though ;)

I read a C&D test of a 460 hp NSX that only pulled a 13.0 @115 mph in the quarter mile.

460? at 15% it would have to have been putting down 400 to the wheels. I dont think so. 360 is more probable.

On an 04 I think headers and exhaust would be marginal with that set -up

For that kind of money you should get a stand alone like the AEM ems and take it on over to FactorX up by the speedway and let Mikey do his magic on it.

I didn't think there was an AEM ems available for ODB II cars...

According to the Comptech website, they claim the following horsepower increases with their performance parts on a 2000 NSX using a DynoMax chassis dynometer:

Stock: 258 hp @ 7800 rpm
Exhaust/headers/air box: 293 hp @ 7800 rpm
SC/exhaust/headers/airbox: 367 hp @ 7800 rpm

1. How much of an increase will the supercharger alone provide? I am guessing it is somewhere between 74 and 109 hp. They never tested the SC alone, which is a shame.

2. Maybe they have tested the SC alone, but don't want to disclose figures in fear that consumers would bypass the exhaust, headers and intake translating into loss of revenues.

3. Is the factory airbox restrictive when installing a SC? According to the Comptech dyno sheet it improves power by 4-5 hp at the upper rpm range, but actually loses a little power down low prior to SC. This modification does not appear to be worth $1000 installed IMHO.

4. Is there any difference in the factory headers between an 00' and 04'? I would think they are identical.

I am starting to lean towards getting just the SC alone and maybe getting an exhaust later to add some aural excitement.

CerberusM5 said:

4. Is there any difference in the factory headers between an 00' and 04'? I would think they are identical.

I am starting to lean towards getting just the SC alone and maybe getting an exhaust later to add some aural excitement.

I think the factory headers are the same for 97 and up.

The stock air intake is just as good as any aftermarket intake for NA, but when it comes to FI, I don't know. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on that one..

Has anyone installed the Comptech supercharger on their own? How would this affect the warranty? Does the kit have to be installed by a Comptech dealer to have the warranty stay intact? What if I had an independent Acura service facility perform the install? Or is it too complex and recommended that someone who has installed them previously perform the task?

CerberusM5 said:
Welcome to the world of The devil's in the details..., and your only talking about a P-n-P SC. :eek: :)

With your statement above, I think your back to being on the right track. I can't imagine any huge gain from I/H/E additions with the SC. The SC is going to be your biggest bang for the buck. I'd add an exhaust for sound with the CTSC (on an 04), and not based on any power claim. I just don't buy a caim of 30 additional HP on your year car for H/E (with the SC). No hard data to go on, just my personal guess.

Last edited:
Don't pinch pennies on your install. I woudn't let anyone touch it that couldn't make sure it was tuned properly (A/F) when it left the shop. You're in Vegas, right? Take it over to FX and have them install it.

KGP said:
Don't pinch pennies on your install. I woudn't let anyone touch it that couldn't make sure it was tuned properly (A/F) when it left the shop. You're in Vegas, right? Take it over to FX and have them install it.

I would agree. Just let Factor FX finish KGP's car first :)

KGP said:

Good idea!

CerberusM5 said:
Good idea!
Yes, but I will give you a stern warning: Do NOT, I repeat do not go for a ride in a trubo car while there. For if you do, you will have taken a huge puff off of the GFCP, and you surely don't want that!

Bright Idea!

Or, you could consider the BBSC and have FX strap that on. I just happen to know of one or two sitting in some boxes at FX.

I've got the Comptech SC, intake (for looks) and Tubi exhaust on my '97. I considered headers but was told to only expect about 3-5 hp. Not worth it to me.

I think you should just start with the CTSC, let factor X tune it and see if you are happy. You can always add the headers later on.

Partial or complete CT set up

I have a '99 and put a CTSC w/ 6lb pulley. I took it to Shane at Autowave and he dyno'd it at 365 rwhp. I added the Cantrell air intake and it sounds like 10^6 bucks but I need to take it back to get re-dyno'd to see if the air intake added anymore power. It sounds awesome with the CTSC and Cantrell. I don't think you need anymore than that. Stock, post '97 exhaust headers are sufficient.:) :cool: :D ;)

Danny Yee.

SC and Headers

Hi, I had Comptech install their 6 lb SC on my 2001 nsx-t. While I had a fabricated exhaust on the car initially I later added the comptech headers. I put the headers on myself which took a bit of time to say the least. It is true that the exhaust on the 97 and newer is stainless steel. I noticed that the tubes on the headers are longer (tuned) and collect later than stock. Did I notice a big difference in power. Frankly nothing that I could swear to. Having said that I am still happy that I went with real headers. It looks better (thought not many people pear underneath). I know that they are there. I kept the original airbox. I had read a number of posts that suggested that a new paper filter from Honda was as good as any aftermarket unit--and kept the system cleaner. I did mess with the collector within the wheel well. I reduced its size. Can't say that it made a difference. I think Honda engineers did a pretty good job on the car. I did add gauges which I believe is a good idea. I went with a fuel pressure and vacumm gauge attached to a gauge pod on the driver side windshield pillar. Overall I am really happy with the setup. I asked my Acura Dealer about the SC. He indicated that they have not had any trouble with Comptech and felt that there was no problem. Now if I blow the engine I will have to prove that it was not due to the super charger. But that is the case with any aftermarket part that one puts on their car. The dealer did tell me that if I had a Nitros system that they would note that in my history and probably void my warranty. Again there is a Federal "like" law call the Federal Magnason-Moss Warranty Act:)

Do not underestimate the importance of the exhaust system in a SC application; ie headers and free flow exhaust. Exhaust gas back pressure is a significant restriction to airflow through a SC system. It is just as important to get the hot exhaust out as to get the fresh charge in. The more easily air get through the system, the more airflow and therefore more power.

The actual header design in an SC is less important as with NA other than increased air flow requires increased tube size.

Rough estimate is a horsepower gain of 1.25-1.5% for each 1psi decrease in back pressure.

Back