• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC is running lean...

I recently installed a used CTSC which I bought from emvanderpol. I had the car dynoed and the A/F ratio was running pretty lean, between 13 and 14. There was some minor pinging under full load. From what I've read on the forums, an A/F ratio of 12 is where I should be at.

My question is, how much of the CTSC kit is tuneable so that the A/F ratio can be richened up? What needs to be done?

Anybody know of a shop in the Norcal Bay Area that can do this? I've asked Hilltop, Foreign Affair, and Dynospot, and they all told me that they can't do anything about it.

-CiaoBoy

Go with the AEM setup. Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA tuned mine....flat 12's throughout the rev range. You probably saw my dyno sheet on prime. It would be worth the drive down to so cal.

Jeff

MarkB said:
Another option is to take it to CT (Sacramento) for tuning. If the SC has a 9lb pulley, you may want to swap it for a 6lb.

Why would he need to change to the 6lb pulley from the 9lb? Also he would need a different AFPR if he were to change. I am interested to know why he would have any differences with the 6lb over the 9lb... Your suggestion to take it to CT was a good one. I just don't know what the 6lb/9lb change was suggesting. Seeing that there are people with the 9lb running fine and people with the 6lb having the same problem of running lean.

6 PSI vs 9 PSI

The 6 PSI pulley is larger in diameter; therefore, it spins the blower slower.

Slower blower = less air = richer mixture (assuming the fuel system is left alone).

I know the difference between the 2, I have/had both. I was pointing out that you simply can't switch pullies, and also that there were people running the 9lb without problems. Also there are those running the 9lb without problems, without having to use the AEM or any other SAEMS. There may be a answer to the problems he is having without just going to the smaller kit or a engine management system. If I were that close to comptech, I would take my car to them, as it was suggested. I don't think Mark meant to, but it read as just switching the pullies, from my understanding you just can't switch pullies without addressing the different AFPR. They also don't share the same injectors.(6lb vs 9lb (high boost))

CiaoBoy said:
Anybody know of a shop in the Norcal Bay Area that can do this? I've asked Hilltop, Foreign Affair, and Dynospot, and they all told me that they can't do anything about it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why don't you just take it to Comptech since you live relatively close?

Racerxjling said:
Go with the AEM setup. Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA tuned mine....flat 12's throughout the rev range. You probably saw my dyno sheet on prime. It would be worth the drive down to so cal.

Jeff

I need to stay smog-legal, so that's why I can't go with the AEM.

-CiaoBoy

Re: Re: CTSC is running lean...

xsn said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why don't you just take it to Comptech since you live relatively close?

Relative to you, I may be close, but it's still about 2-3 hours away from where I am located. :) That's why I'm looking for a local shop first.

Plus, I don't know how long it will take for them to fix the problem, and while I'm there, I'll have no transportation and also won't have anything to do around there.

-CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy said:
I need to stay smog-legal, so that's why I can't go with the AEM.

-CiaoBoy

Why would the AEM fail smog?

Assuming you are keeping the cats and the AEM keeps your car in the proper A/F ratio.

:confused:

Re: Re: Re: CTSC is running lean...

CiaoBoy said:
Relative to you, I may be close, but it's still about 2-3 hours away from where I am located. :) That's why I'm looking for a local shop first.

Plus, I don't know how long it will take for them to fix the problem, and while I'm there, I'll have no transportation and also won't have anything to do around there.

-CiaoBoy

If your car is detonating and your A/F mitures are indeed off, and you can't find anyone qualified locally to fix your car. I would call shad at Comptech and make an appointment. I don't know if I would be driving the car to hard until you got everything squared away. 2-3hrs of drive time and nothing to do while you are there is a relatively small price to pay for your peace of mind.
You don't want to damage your engine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: CTSC is running lean...

len3.8 said:
If your car is detonating and your A/F mitures are indeed off, and you can't find anyone qualified locally to fix your car. I would call shad at Comptech and make an appointment. I don't know if I would be driving the car to hard until you got everything squared away. 2-3hrs of drive time and nothing to do while you are there is a relatively small price to pay for your peace of mind.
You don't want to damage your engine.

Agreed. I am driving the car with a light foot when I do drive it. Under normal load, there is no pinging and the car feels fine. There was a bit of idle-hunting that I just showed up for the first time this past Sunday. I dunno if that was because I just added a bottle of Techron that morning to clean the fuel injectors.

I will call Comptech to schedule an appointment for Friday, May 21st. I'll be driving up to Reno for a track weekend and Comptech will be halfway along the way. Hopefully they can fix the problem in one day, or perhaps I will just ask them to swap in the 9 lb. kit which should be do-able in one day.

-CiaoBoy

matteni said:
Why would the AEM fail smog?

Assuming you are keeping the cats and the AEM keeps your car in the proper A/F ratio.

:confused:

Unless I am mistaken, the AEM is not smog-legal. Nor is the TEC3. It doesn't matter how clean your exhaust fumes are; the visual inspection will flunk you.

-CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy said:
Unless I am mistaken, the AEM is not smog-legal. Nor is the TEC3. It doesn't matter how clean your exhaust fumes are; the visual inspection will flunk you.
When they inspect are they going to take off panels to try and find what kind of ECU you have? Would they even know what it is if they saw it? Tell them that it's an Advanced Electronic Monitoring system for windsheild wipers. :D

Last edited:
KGP said:
When they inspect are they going to take off panels to try and find what kind of ECU you have? Would they even know what it is if they saw it? Tell them that it's an Advanced Electronic Monitoring system for windsheild wipers. :D

You're probably right. They aren't going to pull the panels behind the seats. And if everything is working properly, there shouldn't be any CEL's that pop up either. However, I don't want to take any chances and get fined. Plus, I don't feel the need to spend $1k for the AEM when Comptech's solution *should* be sufficient.

Aren't there some functions that one will lose if they go with the AEM, such as traction control or other functionality? That's another consideration.

-CiaoBoy

The AEM is a true stand-alone which uses your OEM sensors, but replaces the OEM ECU. So, no CEL's could be thrown. The AEM has its own traction control (programmable). Read about it here.

The only thing that is readily tuneable is the RRFPR. It has swappable springs and some screw settings to change the amount of pressure increase under boost. This assumes that your fuel pump is adequate which hasn't always been the case. I'm sure Comptech will be able to handle both potential issues.

Dinan M3 said:
The only thing that is readily tuneable is the RRFPR. It has swappable springs and some screw settings to change the amount of pressure increase under boost. This assumes that your fuel pump is adequate which hasn't always been the case. I'm sure Comptech will be able to handle both potential issues.

I don't think it's the fuel pump which is inadequate, because it is basically lean across the whole rev range. I will look into the RRFPR's settings. Thanks!

-CiaoBoy

Ciaoboy,

I agree with Dinan M3. Get a fuel pressure gauge, and check your pressure throughout the range. Call Chad and give him the info and I am pretty sure with adjustments to the fuel pressure it will get where is it speced to be.

I worked with a fellow in the East, last year with a 9 lb. kit and fuel pressure was the main issue and really the only variable (adjustment) with the Comptech setup, as it comes from Comptech.

HTH,
LArryB

CiaoBoy,

You are describing exactly what I went through about 6 months ago. Do a search with my username in the forced induction section. Call me 760-931-9100. I think I can save you a lot of time & $. All you have to do is reset the ECU (pull a fuse), and reset the ESM to 2.92 volts. You may have to vary the ESM setting though.

Gene

emvanderpol said:
CiaoBoy,

You are describing exactly what I went through about 6 months ago. Do a search with my username in the forced induction section. Call me 760-931-9100. I think I can save you a lot of time & $. All you have to do is reset the ECU (pull a fuse), and reset the ESM to 2.92 volts. You may have to vary the ESM setting though.

Gene

Hi, Gene. I have read through your past posts. I thought that tweaking the ESM in your case stopped the pinging, but it had no effect on the A/F ratio? In my case, I think I need to richen the A/F ratio.

-CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy said:
Hi, Gene. I have read through your past posts. I thought that tweaking the ESM in your case stopped the pinging, but it had no effect on the A/F ratio? In my case, I think I need to richen the A/F ratio.

-CiaoBoy

Changing the ESM did make a small difference in the A/F ratio. You can also boost rail pressure up to about 48 or so. However, if you were taking your A/F readings off the exhaust tip you most likely are getting a high/false reading. Try to get a reading from a test pipe. I remember reading a post a few months back about someone with the CTSC having 13-14 a/f readings off the exhaust. He went and got an inline a/f meter that sampled off the O2 location. he was dead even at 12 from 1k to 8K rpm's.

Let me/us know how things work out.

Gene

Back