• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC w/ OEM ECU vs. AEM EMS

The subject of super charging is new to me. So when I got interested in learning more about SC the first place I went to for information is the Prime FAQ, and of course Comptech's website as it appeares to be the more popular choice of SC.

Comptech's SC is pretty straight forward and there is no mentioning of the need for a new engine management system. However in my further research of many SC related threads the name of AEM EMS was often brought up.

Can you SC gurus enlighten me on this subject? More specifically a comparison between OEM ECU vs. AEM EMS, in the areas of engine performance and reliability?

BTW which AEM EMS model is for our NSX?

Thanks,

icefire said:
Can you SC gurus enlighten me on this subject? More specifically a comparison between OEM ECU vs. AEM EMS, in the areas of engine performance and reliability?

BTW which AEM EMS model is for our NSX?

Thanks,

AEM has same relability and drivability as the OEM ECU. For the AEM you will have to tune all the parameters that the stock ECU controls,(AEM does not support TCS) and since it is tunable you will squeeze more performance out of your engine as compared to the OEM ECU.

The model AEM for the 1991-1994 NSX is 30-1002.

www.aempower.com

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
AEM has same relability and drivability as the OEM ECU. For the AEM you will have to tune all the parameters that the stock ECU controls,(AEM does not support TCS) and since it is tunable you will squeeze more performance out of your engine as compared to the OEM ECU.

Armondo,

Since AEM does not support TCS, does this mean lesser drivability?

ob1 or ob2?

saint2709,

OB1

icefire said:
Armondo,

Since AEM does not support TCS, does this mean lesser drivability?

saint2709,

OB1

Depends on your driving, I turn the TCS off when on the track, as far as street driving I don't really miss it.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:

Any idea how much gain does AEM offer over the OEM ECU? Do most people who opted SC also upgraded to an aftermarket EMS such as AEM?

icefire said:
Any idea how much gain does AEM offer over the OEM ECU? Do most people who opted SC also upgraded to an aftermarket EMS such as AEM?

Most people leave it alone and use the stock ECU. There are very few CTSC cars with AEM. I can only think of one off the top of my head. As for power gains, I would guess 10-20HP here and there. I might be totally wrong.

MarkB's 2003 6lbs CTSC dynoed at 375whp

The CTSC/AEM I think was a 92?? it made about the same power with a 9lbs kit and all the goodies.

Most 3.2 seem to dyno around 350-360 from what i have seen.

Most 3.0 seem to his 300-330.

Both would include at least Headers and Exhaust.

NetViper said:
Most 3.0 seem to his 300-330.

Both would include at least Headers and Exhaust.

I just dynoed 299 without headers and stock cats. :biggrin:

The AEM offers a few things the Stock ECU cannot offer you in your quest for 350hp. One is a very good tune, if you have a very good tuner. You can adjust your fuel and timing to your cars exact needs, and still monitor all the factory sensors to ensure a safe tune even under unforeseen situations like a bad tank of gas or unusual temperatures. The stock ECU will only allow you to manipulate your fuel not really tune it, and as far as timing you are stuck with what Honda gave ya.

Also everyone keeps saying the AEM does not support TCS, it does not support the factory TCS. But it replaces it with a speed based system that when set up correctly works pretty well, and since you can change how it reacts you can tune the traction control to your liking. If you get real creative with your programming you can even make the TC programmable to the gear you are in and the speed you are driving. For drivers who like to feel in control of the car but still want a little safety net you can have both. I have always felt that the stock TCS was way too aggressive and needed to be OFF more than ON.

If your a drag racer (guessing based on the weak clutch comment) the AEM adds a two stage launch control, if you spend the time needed to dial it in it will make your 60' times improve, and it just sound better when you line up at a stop light and the civic next to you revs up to race you and you can just sit there bouncing on a 4k RPM rev limiter as the launch control is waiting to go to work.

As you can tell I like my AEM, but it is not for everyone, and you will need a lot more time and that usually means money to get it all dialed in. The good news is every time you decide to add a mod you can squeeze every little HP out of your investment with a little dyno time and a good tuner. As pricey as our mods are it is nice to get a little more instead of a little less.

Dave

DDozier said:
Also everyone keeps saying the AEM does not support TCS, it does not support the factory TCS. But it replaces it with a speed based system that when set up correctly works pretty well, and since you can change how it reacts you can tune the traction control to your liking. If you get real creative with your programming you can even make the TC programmable to the gear you are in and the speed you are driving. For drivers who like to feel in control of the car but still want a little safety net you can have both. I have always felt that the stock TCS was way too aggressive and needed to be OFF more than ON.

Does this mean that the factory TCS butoon no longer has control and instead AEM takes over completely in accordance to the tuned program mapping?

This is what I get out of my OEM ECU:
4741CTSCDyno2.jpg

Back