• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current NSX owners read

I am wondering have any of you current NSX owners ever had a (Toyota Supra, Mazda Rx7, Nissan Skyline, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT) One of these japanese super sports cars before?

And Im wondering if you had one before or still do, how do you compare it to your NSX. Explain how much better the NSX is or and what makes the NSX so much better.
Explain the cons of the NSX over these other super cars that youve owned.

Thanks.

you should probably search these forums, this questions has been answered numerous times, in fact i answered a similar question just last week from someone who had a 300zxtt and was considering a move to an nsx. i used to have a 300zxtt as well and kept both cars for a couple of years before getting rid of the 300. search the forums and im sure you'll find plenty of this info.

I traded in a stock 93 rx-7 r1 and never looked back.This has been said by me before but the early mazda twin turbos had boost problems ,the handling was evil (oversteer) the paint fragile,and the seats were back breakers,but I did enjoy the car for all it was worth.The nsx is better in every way except that the rx-7 can be more cheaply and easily modded and is a better drag car and has seen some limmited success in scca and motorola cup racing.

I owned a '94 Supra in mint condition with only about 10,000 miles. While I owned it, I test drove a '95 NSX-T. I was blown away...I thought the Supra was a sports car, but driving the NSX made the Supra feel like a Taurus. The NSX was lower to the ground and cornered amazingly. When getting back in my Supra after the test drive, it felt so heavy and cumbersome. It was a night and day difference. I loved that Supra - it was my first really nice car, but driving the NSX was a whole different ball game...I sold the Supra and I now have my true dream car - the NSX.

My friend has a 93 RX-7 and it's a very nice auto. The RX-7 has just under 100k miles and still runs great. It's been modified and runs in the 12's so it's quite fast. The mods are faily cheap compared to moding the NSX so if you are looking for speed for cheap, the RX-7 is something to consider. It's also been quite reliable.

One thing about the RX-7 is the space for the driver is limited, compared to an NSX. If you're a big guy (my friend is 6'4"), sit in the drivers seat of an RX-7 for an extended bit of time and then try an NSX.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan
5 speed
Gun metal gray stock wheels
Stock as a rock - #0030
Just 18,500 miles but planning on adding alot more

The only thing worse about the NSX when compared to the forementioned cars is the ability/cost to mod. Everything else, IMO, is far superior. I couldn't care less about modding so there is no comparison to me. The NSX might not be the best at everything but it is in the top 1-5 in every category which makes it the best all-around supercar on the planet. My opinions only. I'd much rather have a car that is #1 handling, #4 speed, #2 ergonomics, #1 refinement, #3comfort/convenience..(examples only)...etc...... than have something that is #1 handling, #1 speed, #45 refinement, #29 comfort, #31 resale, etc...... get my point? A synergy.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
.....I'd much rather have a car that is #1 handling, #4 speed, #2 ergonomics, #1 refinement, #3comfort/convenience..(examples only)...etc...... than have something that is #1 handling, #1 speed, #45 refinement, #29 comfort, #31 resale, etc...... get my point? A synergy.

The latter part sounded like you're describing a Z06 Vette, minus the #1 handling part! (I'd give it a #3 after my last test drive in one.)
biggrin.gif

Been there and done that.

I owned a '93 3000GT VR4, '94 Supra Turbo, '91 300ZX TT, and a '95 300ZX TT at various times during the early to mid-'90s. I had mods of varying degrees on these cars. I also had exposure to a few '93 RX7s that were modded.

I now own a '95 NSX-T and a '95 BMW M3.

Looking back, I am inclined to consider those turbo cars I owned in the past more GT in nature than pure sportscar. The exception being the RX7, which is a really fun car with its lightweight and quick reflexes. Too bad for its quality issues.

The NSX is at a much higher level than any of those cars. The overall experience of NSX ownership is simply unmatched.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 28 June 2002).]

I currently have a '93 RX7 Touring Edition and a '91 NSX. Both cars offer their own unique brand of excitement. Being six feet tall and weighing 225lbs., one sits higher in the RX7 but still low to the ground. The seats are stiffer and seem equally as supportive as the NSX. Interior space in the NSX is cavenous compared to the Mazda. It's a matter of taste. If you like a tight fit, the RX7 feels like the original Mercury capsule-- it's comparable to'91 and '86 MR2s I once owned. The RX7 wraps its driver between the high console and rounded dash. The NSX is wide open and airy with a huge sloping dash and broad cockpit window looking out onto the road. This perspective seems to add to the roominess of the cabin. In terms of acceleration, the RX7 has a snap to its acceleration, while the NSX reaches speed more subtlely. The RX7 grabs the road; the NSX inhales it. The RX7 feels more muscle car in nature, like a '69 Vette I once owned. In terms of handling, the RX7, feels much smaller as it cuts turns while the NSX feels hardly feels challenged by them. I would venture to guess that someone who's driven a GT Race car might say the same thing after driving the RX7 and NSX. Because the RX7 is a sequential twin turbo (as stock), it takes a 2-3 count to catch and then explodes to 60 with little effort. Sometimes I have to look down at the speedometer to realize I'm already exceeding the speed limit in my city. It's a difficult car to drive at the legal street limit of 30 mph. The NSX, on the other hand, has a less dramatic feel to its accleration and driving at street speed is a simple and comfortable task with no bucking. Because of its rakish of the hood, there are times when I'm driving 60-70 mph and feel as if I'm driving a heck of a lot faster. That's OK when the police spot my black car in the midst of other speeders. I don't think the trunk space is lacking in either case considering the type of cars they are. You want to pile luggage on board, get an SUV. Perhaps the greatest difference between the 2 cars is overall reliablity. I'll bet 75% of third generation RX7 owners have already replaced their engine, rebuilt their transmission, replaced one or both turbos, among countless other repairs at most car's mid-life. The NSX is a far more expensive and better built car. In its current iteration, one could have purchased 2.5 RX7s
based on the '93 price tag. Repairs on the NSX are clearly more expensive and finding a mechanic who is confident with the car is not as easy as you'd think. I live in NYC and each of the 3 local dealerships are less confident than they should be. OK, so where are we? Driving the RX7 does draw attention, particularly from teenagers who saw that movie, "The Fast and the Furious" and people who think I having a mid-life crisis. Driving the NSX is a unique experience unto itself. Because of its limited production and rarity, NSX draw constant attention--not that there's anything wrong with that. On days when I'm down or need to feel the road under my butt,
the NSX is the panacea. Driving around, you feel like a celebrity. But that can have its draw backs too. Warning: Avoid contact with crazy Mustang GT owners, younger Corvette freaks, and any other high performance screwballs who can't forgive you for owner one of the best looking cars ever built. Sorry for being so long winded, but....

Larry T

Back