• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom cut NSX clear bra? Opinions

I have custom-cut PPF from Xpel and it is the way to go. Mine covers the entire front end of the X up to the doors, including the mirrors, A pillars and top of the windshield. It cost me $1100 installed and it's been worth every penny.

Don't have the warm fuzzies about a $195 eBay PPF kit, particularly for a NSX. Buy the best and cry once.

Don't buy ppf from ebay and ask a installer to put it on. It's kind of like bringing in your own steak to Ruth Chris and telling the chef to cook it for you. I install ppf in Steamboat and know the guys at http://idswindowtint.com/. Give them a call as they are one of the best shops in the state for ppf

Don't buy ppf from ebay and ask a installer to put it on. It's kind of like bringing in your own steak to Ruth Chris and telling the chef to cook it for you. I install ppf in Steamboat and know the guys at http://idswindowtint.com/. Give them a call as they are one of the best shops in the state for ppf

Good point! :smile::smile: I did business with IDS in the past.
Quality shop they tinted both my Lexus's..
I see Ferrari and Lambos there all the time .

I'll check in with them to see what it would cost. I imagine the majority of the cost is labor?

agreed with above, BUT one more thing to consider...

MOST PPF shops around here will cover your clearbra in the event something happens. if it gets damaged they will replace the damaged section typically for free. that is another very big plus for getting it done at a reputable shop.

I have custom-cut PPF from Xpel and it is the way to go.

Ditto, prior owner of my NSX had the custom cut PPF from Xpel installed...

Have the mirrors, door edges, behind door handles, front edge of targa top, half hood, and half fender coverage and it does the job and looks good.

I have been wanting to go with full coverage as it looks more consistent across the hood and fender. There are a few film bubbles on the lower bumper from the original installer that look kinda shabby. I'd probably add the "A" pillars and above the windshield on the refresh like Stevie Ray has described.

Here is a link to the NSX XPel kits, have a pro do the work as others have stated

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_...prevseries=0&type=1&year=2000&make=1&model=13

Just to be clear on clear bra so you know what to tell your installer.

Custom cut = installer brings a bulk sheet of material, lays it on your car and cuts it - that's true custom cut.

Pre-cut kit (what you see on the Xpel website) - is cut in advance for the car and intalled.

The difference is with custom cut, the installer can wrap the edges of the material around panels for a true seamless fit. With pre-cut you see cut lines of the material.

In either case, getting a clear bra / paint protection film (PPF) is a good idea.

Just to be clear on clear bra so you know what to tell your installer.

Custom cut = installer brings a bulk sheet of material, lays it on your car and cuts it - that's true custom cut.

Great clarification Mickeylex

...and there is risk that a "custom cut" installer will cut into your paint leaving a permanent scar... requires surgeon-steady use of a razor blade

Which is why some folks prefer to go with a pre-cut kit and not take the risk.

...or others that prefer to wrap their car in blue tape :eek:

-

...and there is risk that a "custom cut" installer will cut into your paint leaving a permanent scar... requires surgeon-steady use of a razor blade

There is that risk and this depends on the installer.

I had mine custom done by one of the top, if not the top installers in the U.S. They cut directly on the car. Not a mark anywhere. I was sure they would do a fine job on my NSX after seeing the jobs they did on an ENZO and Carerra GT - both custom cut with blades.

Clear bra is easy to do, but not easy to do right. Be sure your installer has years of experience and be prepared to pay extra for that experience. If the installer has only been doing it a few years I'd check references.

Which is why some folks prefer to go with a pre-cut kit and not take the risk.

...or others that prefer to wrap their car in blue tape :eek:

-

Excellent point, RW and excellent clarification Mickeylex. I misspoke and thank you for the correction.

You knew what I was talking about anyway.:wink:

Back