• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom supercharger kit

Prime community -

I have been looking at options for forced induction for the NSX for a while. I have been a turbo guy all my life, and I love the power available, but I admit to a certain fascination with a positive displacement blower setup.

That said, I would really want to intercool a supercharger, and it seems an awful waste to buy a comptech kit just to chop it up and replace every major component.

The only really challenging piece I see is the pulley arrangement. Does anyone have any thoughts on a pulley setup that does NOT use the comptech system?

Dylan

Realtime Racing's Acura used a NOVI centrifical blower I believe, with the blower mounted facing the motor (on the passenger side of engine bay.) They then ran output of blower across the engine compartment to an IC, and then into the engine. However, using a positive displacement blower sorta dictates that the unit be placed atop the engine -so only viable alternative to charge cool appears to be raising the blower and placing charge cooler underneath same. (or placing charge cooler down in "valve valley" ala Magnacharger etc.) Either of these systems would use "bulk" of CT kit parts. Of course you could "duplicate" basic system using newer 2.3 litre Whipple, but you better build up motor if you intend to explore the higher boost available with this bigger blower!:biggrin: However, with either option, you end up with basically the same drive system - unless you want to build yourself an updated version of Dean Moon's crank driven package!!:biggrin: IMO, the pulley system is the most simple way to drive what ever positive displacement "pump" being utilized - low maintaince and ez to change ratios etc. At this time, the intake manifold/charge cooler, is the challenging issue, as no one has been able to justify the design and manufacture of this item that probably should have been included in the CTSC package, from the start, based on the $10k selling price. With an IC and proper engine management system, the integrity of the engine becomes the limiting factor.

Prime community -

I have been looking at options for forced induction for the NSX for a while. I have been a turbo guy all my life, and I love the power available, but I admit to a certain fascination with a positive displacement blower setup.

That said, I would really want to intercool a supercharger, and it seems an awful waste to buy a comptech kit just to chop it up and replace every major component.

The only really challenging piece I see is the pulley arrangement. Does anyone have any thoughts on a pulley setup that does NOT use the comptech system?

Dylan

Last edited:
Realtime Racing's Acura used a NOVI centrifical blower I believe, with the blower mounted facing the motor (on the passenger side of engine bay.) They then ran output of blower across the engine compartment to an IC, and then into the engine. However, using a positive displacement blower sorta dictates that the unit be placed atop the engine -so only viable alternative to charge cool appears to be raising the blower and placing charge cooler underneath same. (or placing charge cooler down in "valve valley" ala Magnacharger etc.) Either of these systems would use "bulk" of CT kit parts. Of course you could "duplicate" basic system using newer 2.3 litre Whipple, but you better build up motor if you intend to explore the higher boost available with this bigger blower!:biggrin: However, with either option, you end up with basically the same drive system - unless you want to build yourself an updated version of Dean Moon's crank driven package!!:biggrin: IMO, the pulley system is the most simple way to drive what ever positive displacement "pump" being utilized - low maintaince and ez to change ratios etc. At this time, the intake manifold/charge cooler, is the challenging issue, as no one has been able to justify the design and manufacture of this item that probably should have been included in the CTSC package, from the start, based on the $10k selling price. With an IC and proper engine management system, the integrity of the engine becomes the limiting factor.

I actually would rather start with the whipple, but the m90 with a custom case will probably meet my HP requirements (~430 on pump gas) and be a lot cheaper.

Does anyone have a good picture of the "pully plate" that comes with the comptech kit?

Back