• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

D.I.Y. A/C panel fix

A_J

Experienced Member
As most of you know, our A/C panels will fail sooner or later.
Here's an easy to follow guide how to fix it.

I ordered my spare parts from farnell.com at about 10US$:
SNC00066s.jpg

First, take out the two small phillips screws on each side of the front panel, then pry off the tabs and remove front panel:
SNC00074s.jpg

Then unscrew the screw on the back to remove the circuit board from the casing:
SNC00071s.jpg

Disconnect the two connectors for the front panel:
SNC00073s.jpg

Then you should have the circuit board ready for inspection:
SNC00065s.jpg

I marked the leaky cap's with red marker, but I ended up changing all as i expect them to start leaking soon anyway:
SNC00063s.jpg

As you see, some of them had been leaking quite bad for a while and had started to etch on the circuit board:
SNC00067s.jpg

SNC00068s.jpg

SNC00069s.jpg

When you have changed the cap's, reverse the disassembly process and test it in your car :smile:

Hope this helps.

This excellent information, can you post a listing of the parts that you ordered.

This list should include the quantity and the values for each capacity that one would need to do the job.

Bram

:frown: I just paid $180US to have this done. Wish I had this info before! Are the caps the only components that usually go bad on these boards?

^^ i know it..anyway, atleast it'll be a lifetime warranty on it..assuming u send it to BrianK, which i did..

but to the OP..nice write up..can you post the part number for the caps and what you ordered? cause i'm sure most of us don't know what to order from the website..

HTML:
Changing the caps is only half of the job.
Ok, what's the other half, besides removing and re-installing the unit?

A_J,

Good job using an anti-static mat & wrist strap. I notice you used solder-wick to remove the old components. Would a solder-sucker work as well, or is there something unique about those PCBs?

Any progress on the parts list? Having that ahead of time makes this an "out & in the same day" job.

Ok, what's the other half, besides removing and re-installing the unit?

Repair the broken traces. This can be tough if you only have a broken board and not a second one to check where the traces went to. The caps are changed quicklier than retracing.

Back