• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daily driver suggestions??

Hi there,

I have just begun my search for a AWD/4WD car or SUV that I can buy to attach a bike rack on the top, use to go snowboarding, and drive in bad weather, living in the Pacific Northwest :) I an looking for something pretty cheap 2-4k but reliable and not too expensive to maintain...thought I would see what you guys thought for suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I have just begun my search for a AWD/4WD car or SUV that I can buy to attach a bike rack on the top, use to go snowboarding, and drive in bad weather, living in the Pacific Northwest :) I an looking for something pretty cheap 2-4k but reliable and not too expensive to maintain...thought I would see what you guys thought for suggestions! Thanks in advance!

In that price range, probably your only choices are an older Toyota RAV 4 or Subaru Forrester.

I have a 96 Subaru Legacy Wagon that is my DD. I absolutely loves it.

I am a big fan or this era's Japanese cars that are built in Japan. They tend to last forever.

In keeping with Honda the CRV is a great SUV. The 1998-2001 versions can be had for the top end of your price range. Look out for tight valves though. I've got a 2000 CRV with a 5 speed manual and, while it lack power, the stick makes it fun to drive. I get about 26mpg on the highway with it too. Good luck.

Find an older (previous gen) Subaru Forrester Turbo. Great for modding, too--they came with detuned STi engines. Not sure if it meets your price criteria, though.

Thanks for all the advice! I am really contemplating two very different options right now...I got a bit of good news today when i returned home from work, I just received an acceptance letter for the graduate business school I wanted to get into! Brings me to the realization though that having two cars may not be practical if I am saving to go to grad school in the fall so I may be having to unfortunately sell my NSX for a vehicle that can do everything well. I guess I have some tough decisions.... :(

I was in the same boat as you until recently.

I just picked up a 1997 4x2 5-speed 4Runner with the legendary 2.7L 4-cyl motor. Its not going to set any land speed records but it gives me 25 MPG highway and I generally average 22 MPG mixed city/highway driving. After daily driving my NSX almost a year (still only put 5,000 miles on the car) I had forgotten how convenient it is to have an SUV.

I had considered a 4x2 Ranger, or 4x2 Tacoma but in the end the extra room of an SUV made it difficult to pass up the 4runner.

I have several friends who are Subaru fans, 95% of all Suburu's built in the last 10-years are still on the road today.

Good luck with your search!

ot please:smile:

Back