• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DaliRacing Super Hot Chip

Wow this thing really works! It has put new life into my NSX. Very strong low-mid range and top end. It improved performance across the RPM band especially low-mid range.

Best bang for the buck mod so far!

Thanks Mark!

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061
K&N Filter, DC Headers, DaliRacing Chip

I'd always heard that the aftermarket chips aren't that much different and that the stock one is pretty much best.

Another 15hp would be welcome indeed.

Does this have to be soidered in or does the stock ecu have the socket for it ??...i see on dali site they offer it with ecu mod ..im guessing they install the socket so that you can change it back to stock by swapping chips .

Any good electronics or computer repair shop can cut out the stock chip and install the Z socket for the stock / aftermarket chip.

I sent it to Dali for the complete job and got it back in less then 1 week. I love it and don't even remember where or what I did with the stock chip. I have the DC sports headers/exhaust and I understand your mods make a big difference with the chips.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:
Does this have to be soidered in or does the stock ecu have the socket for it ??...i see on dali site they offer it with ecu mod ..im guessing they install the socket so that you can change it back to stock by swapping chips .

You need to desolder the oem chip and solder the socket that come with the dali chip. Once the socket in place, you can plug either chip in. It take me 1/2 hour to swap out the chip.

Originally posted by matteni:
Any good electronics or computer repair shop can cut out the stock chip and install the Z socket for the stock / aftermarket chip.

I sent it to Dali for the complete job and got it back in less then 1 week. I love it and don't even remember where or what I did with the stock chip. I have the DC sports headers/exhaust and I understand your mods make a big difference with the chips.

Hi matteni, did you ever do a dyno with your chip before and after?

I'd always heard that the aftermarket chips aren't that much different and that the stock one is pretty much best.

Apparently, MJ agrees with you. Here is what he says on the chip page:

"If you look at the graphs you can see that most of the chips, while having some PEAK #'s that are better than stock, do not perform that much better than the OEM tuning! With most increases measuring just in the 1-2% range - However, since they were consistently higher than the OEM chip, I do think that they are valid #'s."

What he did not make clear (at least to me) was this was for all but his and RM's chip (thanks NoClgDeg). Once I looked at the charts (and not just the graphs) I saw that there is a significant improvement in torque and horsepower (makes sense, since they are related) for the Dali chip.

Now, for those of us who have to undergo smog tests - is it CARB approved? Since he does not mention it, I suspect that it is not. Does anyone know? Or do we have to ask the NSX God himself?

[This message has been edited by NSX Maven (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Ponyboy:

Another 15hp would be welcome indeed.

The other chips on the market do not work. The Dalichip does work.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Originally posted by NSX Maven:
Apparently, MJ agrees with you. Here is what he says on the chip page:

"If you look at the graphs you can see that most of the chips, while having some PEAK #'s that are better than stock, do not perform that much better than the OEM tuning! With most increases measuring just in the 1-2% range - However, since they were consistently higher than the OEM chip, I do think that they are valid #'s."

So you might a six horsepower increase at the power peak. Is that noticeable? Maybe to some, but probably not most. Is it worth the price? That depends on your answer to the first question!

Mark Johnson makes that statement regarding the other chips. His chip was dyno tuned by one the best tuners in Japan. It really works! The other chips aren't doing anything. His chip stands out and really performes.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Originally posted by Smoothaccel:

Hi matteni, did you ever do a dyno with your chip before and after?

No I didn't - I had the same mods as some that participated in the Dyno day so I had reason to (and felt I did) receive similar possitive results.

BTW - the dyno time would have cost as much as the chip which was another reason not to. If I hadn't loved it I figured I could put the old one back in and sell it.

Also - I have not perceived the cold weather hickups someone else posted. I do have a SmartShift and rarely if ever take it up to the bumped up rev limiter.

YMMV.

I agree with Nick M--I like the Dali chip too! That extra couple hundred RPM is helpful at my regular track. It's a fun and easy mod. I'm not sure if I notice any HP difference but I sure notice the redline difference. I also think it's important to keep your engine in top shape if you plan on bumping up against the raised redline.

DanO

I also have the dali chip and it's great! I know that cuz the rpm goes upp too 8500and there is so much power low-mid range. I bought the car with the chip installed. I would like to have a ride on a nsx with stock chip to see the difference.

Originally posted by DanO:
extra couple hundred RPM is helpful at my regular track.
Originally posted by madfast:
I also have the dali chip and it's great! I know that cuz the rpm goes upp too 8500...

I considered getting Dali's chip and held off precisely because of the redline change.

Does running up to 8500 RPM concern you at all? Have you upgraded your oil pump gears (as recommended on Dali's site) or done anything else to the motor to handle the extra revs? Or it is a matter of crossing your fingers that the extra revs won't hurt anything?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Russ:
Does running up to 8500 RPM concern you at all? Have you upgraded your oil pump gears (as recommended on Dali's site) or done anything else to the motor to handle the extra revs? Or it is a matter of crossing your fingers that the extra revs won't hurt anything?

I am concerned but the disclaimer came out after I had it in. That said - I keep my car well maintained (changed timing belt after 35k miles, oil every 3k, keep up with valve adjustments, plugs, etc)

I also installed the SmartShift and set it to warn me to shift at the old readline. The only time I really use the new readline is at the track - which is not as often as I would like.

I think the risks are minimal - compared with CompTech's price for the gears/pump. Mark is pretty close to the Dali substitute and I might concider it on my next timing belt change.

I believe the disclaimer is because no one knows for sure if/how dangerous it is. I have had mine in the car for 4+ years, track driving including some tracks where I leave it near at readline for a long time.

I am not saying you will/wont have a problem. Just saying I acknowledge the risks and feel they are low.

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Russ:
Does running up to 8500 RPM concern you at all? Have you upgraded your oil pump gears (as recommended on Dali's site) or done anything else to the motor to handle the extra revs?

Good question!

I cross my fingers figuring that if the engine can blow apart at 8300 then it can just as easily blow apart at 8000. That is, if one thinks an additional 200-300 rpm will toast their oil pump or engine then they should be crossing their fingers at 8000 too. Clearly we don’t have a problem with our engines or oil pump gears at 8000. Is the additional 250-300 rpm pushing things to their limit or over? I don’t know the answer to that question, what is obvious is that it is pushing things closer to their limit. Kent Shepley showed us a toasted NSX oil pump at the Laguna Seca NSXPO and indicated that indeed the gears were capable of shattering at severe RPMs. I’m not sure anyone knows what exact RPM those gears saw before giving up, but my bet is that the engine they were hooked to was at something well over 8300 rpm when they blew.

Just from my own opinion formed from reading these forums and email lists, it seems that valve/piston interference is more commonly associated with high RPM damage than oil pump failure. Over the years, my own engine has seen excess of 9000 RPM several times on screwed up downshifts when I was learning how to heal-toe at the track and occasionally sees 8300 with the dali chip mod. My engine has not blown yet. Am I lucky? Will my luck run out? Who knows?

When we mod our cars, we take a certain risk of overloading a designed feature of our vehicles. Whether it be taxing our electrical system with a new, more powerful head unit or headlamps, or taxing our suspension with wheel/strut/spring/sway bar mods or overheating our brakes with brake pad/rotor mods or playing with aerodynamics with body mods. Each mod can have (and in many cases has had) its own severe and catastrophic effect whether it be fire, break failure, suspension failure, unexpected handling characteristics or engine failure.

Some people are fine with suspension modifications (wheels/tires/struts/springs/sway bars) that change the designed handling characteristics in a way which may and in many cases, has contributed to loss of vehicle control and severe damage (both car and human). Some people who are fine with taking these risks are not fine with taking risks when it comes to damaging their engine, which is fine. I think it’s wise to understand the risks associated with every mod and manage them accordingly.

I’d be hesitant to use the chip with NOS, FI or IEM without first talking to Mark J. I don’t think there are any advantages to shifting at the higher RPM in terms of reducing 0-60 or ¼ mile times but there may be certain tracks where the extra 200 rpm is nice. If the car is going to see regular high rpm use (like in door-to-door racing) then I think it would be smart to change the oil pump gears regardless of any chip modification.

DanO

Besides the possibility of damaging the oil pump, is there a possibility of "valve float" and the enging becoming very inefficiect above 8K rpm? I know that on a dyno that the curve drops drastically at or after 8K due to the fuel cut-off or is it the fuel cut-off? Also, the loss of torque after 75K is substancially lower than at 35K. ----Just Thoughts

Besides the possibility of damaging the oil pump, is there a possibility of "valve float" and the enging becoming very inefficiect above 8K rpm?

Anything is possible but it has been my experience that Honda's have conservative redlines. I have yet to see a person blow up an NSX motor for revving it pass 8000 rpm's.

I know that on a dyno that the curve drops drastically at or after 8K due to the fuel cut-off or is it the fuel cut-off? Also, the loss of torque after 75K is substancially lower than at 35K. ----Just Thoughts

My thought is the fuel cut-off.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

the loss of torque after 75K is substancially lower than at 35K.

I think you're not liable to get much torque out of an NSX engine at 75,000 RPM or at 35,000 RPM.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 92NSX:
Bummer, I can't get a chip for my car with the FI. Maybe I'll switch to N/A? hmmmm

Who told you that you can't? I have never heard this so I am wondering why?

Back