• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Danger!! Please read for those attending Monterey drive!!

to all fellow NSXers: i've just received this important news update from a friend in the bay area regarding dining in the monterey area....please read the following from the news and share with your family and friends that plans to visit that area.

CONSUMERS ADVISED NOT TO EAT SPORT-HARVESTED SHELLFISH, CRAB, SARDINES AND ANCHOVIES
FROM MONTEREY BAY

SACRAMENTO - Consumers should avoid eating all sport-harvested species of bivalve (two-shelled) shellfish from Monterey and Santa Cruz counties bordering Monterey Bay because they may be contaminated with domoic acid, a naturally occurring toxin that can cause human illness, State Health Director Diana M. Bont? R.N., Dr.P.H., warned today. Elevated levels of domoic acid, which is produced by microscopic marine algae, have been detected in Monterey Bay by the California Department of Health Services (CDHS).

The warning includes clams, mussels, scallops and oysters, and also the dark-colored organs or viscera of anchovies, sardines and crab, commonly known as crab butter.

Domoic acid was first identified in 1991 at several locations along the California coast in samples of mussels, razor clams and other seafood. No cases of human poisoning from this toxin have been reported in California, but CDHS has included testing of domoic acid in its biotoxin-monitoring program.

Symptoms of domoic acid poisoning can occur within 30 minutes to 24 hours after eating toxic seafood. In mild cases, symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, headache and dizziness. These symptoms commonly disappear within several days. In severe cases, the individual may experience excessive bronchial secretions, difficulty in breathing, confusion, disorientation, unstable blood pressure and irregular heartbeat, seizures, permanent loss of short-term memory, coma and even death. Individuals with any of the above symptoms should consult with their physician.

State law prohibits the sale or offering for sale for human consumption of any bivalve shellfish except by a state-certified commercial shellfish harvester or dealer. Shellfish sold by certified harvesters are subject to frequent mandatory testing.

For updates on shellfish biotoxins and quarantines and other information, consumers can call CDHS' toll-free "Shellfish Information Line" at 1/800-553-4133.

I also read today that Salmon sold through Safeway and two other local grocers contain artificial color additives that make the fish's color more pink in order to make them more appealing to the consumer...

Geez, maybe it's time to go back to my good 'ol college diet of water and bread...

speaking of salmon, i read today that some have artificial coloring to make the salmon more appealing to buyers....

Back