• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dash crack kills

I sure as hell don't want to pull the dash to replace this part along the windshield (it once removed, things rarely go back in as nice), but I was thinking of covering up the crack with some sort of creative matching "cover" made out of a sticky "tape-like" substance? Is this a dumb idea...or should I just live with the crack? Anyone attempt something like this?

Yep, I'm also interested in hearing a few creative answers short of pulling everything apart.:eek:

Has this been fixed on the replacement part or will it just crack again? Luckily cracked right in the middle so it just looks like it was originally just two pieces so I do not plan to replace it. If I were replacing it and the part has not been improved I would probably cut the new one in the middle like mine is now.

I put some black glue in the crack when I had my windshield replaced last weekend. It doesn't look any better. This is a troublsome part. I have a replacement part, I will look to see if it's been improved...

i don't know that i'd bother replacing this. mine has the same problem and i've noticed it on many other nsx's as well. if you replace it, theres a good chance it will just happen again and it looks like a TON of work to replace.

Dash Cover

Just get a dash cover like I have.
Its the best option you can get for an NSX.
If you want info or pics just say so!
Trev

I was wondering why I never noticed the crack when I purchased the car in July, 2003; now I know. With the car outside in the warm/hot weather this piece swells with the heat and literally seals up to a fine line crack. Once it got colder out the crack was more visible. :eek:

I just got my windshield replaced, and I was very tempted to change it while the windshield was out, until I saw the price. I've been hearing about this crack for the 3 years that ive owned my car. I've always wondered if a perfectly cut piece of electrical tape placed right on it, wouldnt mask it enough so you wouldnt notice it.

NSXLNT said:
Is a better question, who has a car that does not have this crack? It seems universal. I'll leave mine alone.

I never had in any of my past or current 3 NSX... is it specific to North American cars? Somebody has a picture of the crack?

dash crack

I got my '92 in Nov '93. The car had 9200 miles on it and was immaculate. The dash crack was already there, and since I didn't know any better at the time and it was a nice clean break, I thought it was simply a strip made in 2 parts.

Ignorance was bliss. It didn't look bad at all until I realized it wasn't made that way.

You know, the crack doesn't bother me so much as the sound that it makes. I can live with the visual deformity since it really isn't that noticeable. The creaking on the other hand... I wish there were a quick-fix for it.

Darkcyd said:
You know, the crack doesn't bother me so much as the sound that it makes. I can live with the visual deformity since it really isn't that noticeable. The creaking on the other hand... I wish there were a quick-fix for it.

I can almost guarantee you that the creaking is NOT coming from this part. It's bolted in 5 places and can't move. To fix the creak, remove the glove box and put something flexible/soft between the dash and the metal rectangle that's welded on top of the cross-member. I used foam doublestick tape.

Now there's an answer I've been waiting to hear. I think I'll try that sometime. Taking the glove box out I can do. Taking the whole dash apart on the other hand, I'm not gonna risk. :p

I looked at the replacement part and it does not seem to have been improved. In my case, the IP creaking is coming from this part, as I verified when the windshield was off. In my estimation, those 5 attachment points are the reason this part cracks because they and the car are rigid and the part is not. If I pull the IP and replace the part I'm going to find some way not to use those attachment points. Rather I will double-stick the part or bore the holes in the part and use a rubber grommet to allow some play. When my windshield was off I placed weatherstripping between this part and the IP (everywhere there was not an attachment screw preventing it). This cut my IP creaking in half. However, now that I know where the other half of the noise is coming from, it's got to go.

Last edited:
From what I was told by a few friends who work at Acura as service techs, that is a common problem with all NSXs (the crack at the top center of the dash). Whenever the dash needs to come out, mostly to change out the blower fan behind it, whenever the dash is going back in, it has to be bolted back in perfectly -- absolutely perfect, or the dash will flex and crack. Sounds stupid and sounds like it can easily be avoided but having never taken out the NSX dash, I can only go by what my Acura tech friends have said.

Newman said:
From what I was told by a few friends who work at Acura as service techs, that is a common problem with all NSXs (the crack at the top center of the dash). Whenever the dash needs to come out, mostly to change out the blower fan behind it, whenever the dash is going back in, it has to be bolted back in perfectly -- absolutely perfect, or the dash will flex and crack. Sounds stupid and sounds like it can easily be avoided but having never taken out the NSX dash, I can only go by what my Acura tech friends have said.

that would basically mean that at the Honda factory, they didn't install this piece absolutely perfectly on tons of NSXs. I have a hard time believing that. Does this happen on later NSXs as well?

robr said:
that would basically mean that at the Honda factory, they didn't install this piece absolutely perfectly on tons of NSXs. I have a hard time believing that. Does this happen on later NSXs as well?

I didn't say it was like that from the factory. Only when there were signs of the dash having to be removed afterwards, such as to change out the blower motor, which is a common problem of them going out on NSXs when they're old (sans 94). When the tech(s) go and put the dash back in, there are some small clips that are very fragile and will break easily if not installed properly and that is where the crack comes from, when torquing down (not even that hard) the dash.

I rarely notice it, nor does it bother me.

perhaps i wasn't clear with my implication. many of us with this problem have never have the dash removed for any reason. also many of us have had this happen at VERY low mileage. i noticed mine around 15,000 miles, others on here have seen it ever earlier. my dash has never been removed.

i'm pretty certain this is a design issue and has nothing to do with how carefully the piece is attached, hence my asking if anyone with a newer NSX has this problem? i seem to only recall hearing about it from people with earlier model nsxs and im wondering if perhaps honda changed something. probably not the piece, but perhaps the mounting points or mounting hardware.

Back