• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dash squeak driving me nuts

I have a really annoying dash squeak coming from somewhere near the instrument cluster. It seems to be coming from the left side of the instrument cluster, or behind it.

No, [MENTION=31168]nsxspdfreak[/MENTION] Joe G., the fix I did at NSXCapades with your borrowed screwdriver, tightening the AC vent going to the door lasted only a few miles - ugh.

When I remove the aforementioned vent and push the dash toward the center of the car I can make it squeak at will. I REALLY don't want to start disassembling the dash but willing to if that's what it takes (might be a good time to have the cluster refurbed vis a vis leaky capacitors). In the meantime I have a couple of those self-stick dots designed to hold up a glass table top in between the door and the dash, where they come together, to put lateral pressure on the dash to keep it from squeaking but that is not a long-term solution.

Any ideas on how to remedy are definitely welcome, preferably with minimal disassembly!

No, the defroster vent is not cracked. Twisting the volume knob clockwise definitely helps but can't be used when the spousal unit is in the car.

Taking the dashboard out is not that difficult. It does require dropping the steering column. The scariest part is dealing with old plastic and the potential for breaking plastic tabs. If it were me I would pull the dashboard out, check all the mounting screws and bolts behind the dash, then re-install the dash with maybe some thin felt between the dash and contact points. If you end up deciding to remove the dash I wouldn't stop there. I would take it apart the rest of the way and rebuild the HVAC and SRS units.

Silicon spray is your friend!

If that doesn't work, chances are that the plastic / foam backing / padding / whatever has compressed allowing movement. If you do take stuff apart to fix, Honda sells a couple of tapes to be installed between plastic parts for the express purpose of eliminating rubbing and squeaking.

Tricot tape #71985-SF1-000
Slip tape # 06994-SA5-000

There are a couple of Honda TSBs 99-015 and 99-030 that provide a list of materials used in repair procedures on Honda vehicles. Get a copy of the TSBs because there is some useful stuff in there.

Silicon spray is your friend!

If that doesn't work, chances are that the plastic / foam backing / padding / whatever has compressed allowing movement. If you do take stuff apart to fix, Honda sells a couple of tapes to be installed between plastic parts for the express purpose of eliminating rubbing and squeaking.

Tricot tape #71985-SF1-000
Slip tape # 06994-SA5-000

There are a couple of Honda TSBs 99-015 and 99-030 that provide a list of materials used in repair procedures on Honda vehicles. Get a copy of the TSBs because there is some useful stuff in there.

Thanks for the info!

Back