• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daughter will be attending grad studies at UW - need apartment references

As the title says reference is to University of Washignton, in WA.

We are looking for property references or actual rentals if you know of any. Also, if you know of Realtors that you can recommend to help us out with some search/selections beyond basic Google/listing search prior to our visit in mid August. Such input from the forum will be very appreciated.

Not sure about the good/bad locations neighborhoods in such consideration. As a parent "my" preference is her safety first, and reasonable commute times using public transportation - as in no more than 30 min from the campus assuming that is realistic. She will be taking her own vehicle with her but again we are not familiar with campus parking etc.

Have no clue about the going rents (per the above general criteria) for a one bedroom apartment or studio. Furnished might be preferable for the first few months or even semester until she sorts/finds her way around WU/greater metro Seattle. TIA.

Last edited:
Re: Daughter will be attending grad studies at WU - need apartment references

As the title says reference is to Washington University, in WA

We are looking for property references or actual rentals if you know of any. Also, if you know of Realtors that you can recommend to help us out with some search/selections beyond basic Google/listing search prior to our visit in mid August. Such input from the forum will be very appreciated.

Not sure about the good/bad locations neighborhoods in such consideration. As a parent "my" preference is her safety first, and reasonable commute times using public transportation - as in no more than 30 min from the campus assuming that is realistic. She will be taking her own vehicle with her but again we are not familiar with campus parking etc.

Have no clue about the going rents (per the above general criteria) for a one bedroom apartment or studio. Furnished might be preferable for the first few months or even semester until she sorts/finds her way around WU/greater metro Seattle. TIA.

I'm no expert on the exact topic as I left UW for so long. Generally if you stay in UW area, everything your daughter will need will be in walking distance, however parking would be challenging in the area, as in anywhere closed to downtown area. There were a few newer apartments in the area that offer garage parking, look into the $1500 range a month though. i would recommend the northgate area as it's within 5-6 miles away from school. Rent is a lot more affordable and reasonable. Driving time will be ranging from 10-25 mins.

The wallingford / green lake area is pretty popular places for UW students as well as it's few minutes driving distance from school.

UW IMO, is not too car-friendly as you would be parking at the outer area of the school and you will find most of the time the public transportation is closer as bus do go through campus.

Thanks. She is doing her due diligence with Internet searches and networking forums. I believe one area she mentioned was Roosevelt, another was North/East Queen and Westlake corridor but that is across the bridge and presumably more traffic .......

And my bad with WU vs UW.

North East Queen as Queen Anne?? if that's the case, please beware while it's nice area, and closer to downtown. I would have to add the traffic going towards I5 (fastest way to UW) is going to kill her. Looking back, I could have easily spend much more time studying (chasing girls? :) ) if I lived closer in UW area. Seattle traffic, while is not as bad as LA, is pretty bad and drivers are very slow and conservative.

I remembered I missed couple exam while I was "navigating" the traffic...and fighting the parking spots.

If she is able to find any apartments in the University Village area she will be happy with her location and be very close to campus. I lived in a complex called the Corydon for a year, and this location is only 1 bus stop away from campus, and has its own parking garage. It isn't a cheap place to live however (my rent was $1650/mo plus utilities, not furnished, 1 bedroom, no roommates) and a reserved parking space is extra. One nice thing was that they have on site storage units that you can rent.

There is also UW associated (IE cheaper, and they can match you with a roommate/s) right next to University Village. This is a prime location because you have an entire shopping center in your back yard. The complex itself is called Nordheim Court. It is cheaper (my rent was $650/mo with 3 roomates, furnished, utilities included, but there may have been an additional monthly fee for parking I can't remember). I lived there for 4 years in a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom unit. She may also like it because you have to be a student to live there. However, if you sign a 1 year lease and graduate in the Fall, they let you keep it through the full year, they don't kick you out the minute you graduate or anything.

These two units are literally across the street from each other, with Nordheim court being attached to University Village, and the Corydon being across.

Oh and both locations are very safe for Seattle (which is already pretty safe for a major city). Nordheim court is tucked back from the street with a pretty private feel to it, so if you don't belong there it becomes obvious pretty quickly, and police check through the area frequently since it is student housing. The Corydon is a part of a very high end complex with nice restaurants attached to it, and actually shares a beautiful private courtyard with a high-end retirement community. That may sound odd, but I can tell you that it wasn't an imposition at all, the facilities are kept completely separate. You need to either be buzzed in or have an electronic key card to gain access to any of the apartments themselves.

Thanks Carter; Nordheim Court is a consideration and your your input/suggestions are quite helpful. A quick question, is Nordheim Court primarily for undergrads, mixed undergrad/grad, or what? She is past the age of undergrad crowd/shenanigans if you get my drift :wink:

One other area that she has been recommended and is also researching is Ravenna. She is hoping to stay within $1100 monthly rent.

Hopefully we will narrow the search to no more that two or three neighborhoods to have a productive closure by our August visit.

Sorry for the delayed response, I left for the UK the day after my post.

Nordheim is a mixed population I believe. Since you are in fully separated apartments (nothing like a dorm) you can choose to be involved in any partying, or not. Of course roommates will have an effect on this. However, since they are university affiliated I think you can get assistance finding a new roommate if you have any issues.

We are enjoying the gorgeous weather here in Seattle - especially after leaving NorCal at 104F!

This is a neat city - way too easy going and respectful to public laws, speed limits, and even cross walks and there are plenty of them! We have been primarily around the UW and mostly the Elliott for touristic stuff. So far the options outside the UW walking distances seem ifffy. There are a few new apartment buildings built in 2007/2009 two blocks from the campus (Roosevelt across the Watertown Hotel where we are staying; and 12th Avenue) but pricey!!

Tonight we have reservation at the Space needle for dinner. Hopefully there will be no overcast. Heading out to Freemont market and Aurora to see Troll - daughter's artsy needs ....

If she doesn't mind having a roommate. check out Uloop.com. It's sort of like a craigslist but for colleges. Plenty of students are always looking to split the costs of living up there.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. After much head scratching with ever limiting options - some landlords were changing prices on a daily basis using the excuse that Amazon was moving their HQ to town - she put a deposit on a very nice new 1BD apartment 3 blocks walking distance to her campus digs. Higher than her budget but overall it was the safest and cleanest, and no car commute.

A few comments regarding our trip. The folks are really nice - I mentioned this before already! But what's up with a sales tax of 9.5%?! Also, almost every street now has metered parking and we were scarmbling to even find a spot to park, not to mention coins. Two college students offered us two quarters to help out - (yes I know they take CC). Did I mention how nice folks are! Parking spaces are ridiculously narrow where you are bound to be dinged. Hence they now offer reserved parking spots for a premium .....

Overall, it was an eventful trip, not stressful; we constantly commuted from UW to downtown, Pike Market, the piers, and while this was mostly in the weekend, and even with 520 down for repairs and with the Monday traffic, this was nothing to compare to California's bumper to bumper. We were able to make the commute in less than 30 minutes asll within speed limits. I-5 pavement was a bit rough with some rut before the bridge, I assume that is from wear and tare but might also help with icey conditions.

We didn't get a chance to go up to Redmond or Bellevue. Next time.

Wow great find, I am actually a student at UW and finding an apartment that close to campus at least somewhat affordable is difficult at best. Walking distance is even better since parking on campus I believe now is around $400 per quarter for a pass! The bus system is definitely your best friend around here and is only $76 per quarter and I believe you can go as far south as Tacoma and as far north as Marysville on them, that's the only way I get around, it's awesome.

Glad you guys like the area!

Good to hear we have another UW here. "Affordable" is a relative term; this was above her budget - and I said so - but she really wanted it given the other considerations. She is already looking to work part time and most likely will be on a ramen noodle diet for some time :tongue:

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. After much head scratching with ever limiting options - some landlords were changing prices on a daily basis using the excuse that Amazon was moving their HQ to town - she put a deposit on a very nice new 1BD apartment 3 blocks walking distance to her campus digs. Higher than her budget but overall it was the safest and cleanest, and no car commute.

A few comments regarding our trip. The folks are really nice - I mentioned this before already! But what's up with a sales tax of 9.5%?! Also, almost every street now has metered parking and we were scarmbling to even find a spot to park, not to mention coins. Two college students offered us two quarters to help out - (yes I know they take CC). Did I mention how nice folks are! Parking spaces are ridiculously narrow where you are bound to be dinged. Hence they now offer reserved parking spots for a premium .....

Overall, it was an eventful trip, not stressful; we constantly commuted from UW to downtown, Pike Market, the piers, and while this was mostly in the weekend, and even with 520 down for repairs and with the Monday traffic, this was nothing to compare to California's bumper to bumper. We were able to make the commute in less than 30 minutes asll within speed limits. I-5 pavement was a bit rough with some rut before the bridge, I assume that is from wear and tare but might also help with icey conditions.

We didn't get a chance to go up to Redmond or Bellevue. Next time.

Let us know when you're in town again... Seattle is a ton of fun. Not sure if you made it over to Alki, but that's where I live.

I can't imagine living anywhere else honestly. (coming from NY)

Eric, Alki was too far south from our daily errands and short stay - looks like a gorgeous pacific coast town. Will definitely give a buzz in our next trip - for now mid September is when we are driving up from CA to haul her stuff.

So if one is in the UW district, where would they take their Acura service? North to Lynnwood Acura or across 520 to Bellevue? And do they have courtesy shuttle service? TIA.

I take my RDX and my NSX to Acura of Lynnwood (and I owned the RDX while attending UW). Generally speaking northbound traffic on I-5 is more predictable than trying to get across the bridges to Bellevue. Acura of Lynnwood does have complimentary shuttle service, and loaner vehicles if needed.

Eric, Alki was too far south from our daily errands and short stay - looks like a gorgeous pacific coast town. Will definitely give a buzz in our next trip - for now mid September is when we are driving up from CA to haul her stuff.

So if one is in the UW district, where would they take their Acura service? North to Lynnwood Acura or across 520 to Bellevue? And do they have courtesy shuttle service? TIA.

Well, you have Charles at Acura of Lynwood (board member here) and you have John at Zahntech Auto out in Redmond (board member here).

Both have NSX's, both take excellent care of people!

That was me.:smile:

I just went out and looked at my fenders. I was about to get pissed. HAHA:biggrin:

Well, you have Charles at Acura of Lynwood (board member here) and you have John at Zahntech Auto out in Redmond (board member here).

Both have NSX's, both take excellent care of people!

Daughter had to take her TSX V6 for 45K miles and it appears Charles is no longer at Lynwood, and she tells me Zahhntech has closed.

Anywho, she did the service at Lynwood - they gave her an ILX as a loaner (she had previewed it before it was released as part of Acura's courtesy preview)/ The service was pricey but we are are going to chalk it up to maintenance ......

Back