• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

David E. Davis comment

In the latest issue of Automobile magazine, founder David E. Davis, Jr. writes about his favorite past Automobiles of the Year (his #1 is the 1995 BMW M3). About the NSX, chosen in 1991, he writes: "The Acura NSX has been around since 1991, and even today it goes unnoticed in traffic, while almost any Corvette is an automotive icon that will never fail to turn heads." His personal opinion aside, this is not an accurate statement in my experience. Any comments?

I guess it depends on whom one is driving in front of. Personally, my experience has been the opposite. Corvettes are so common that little attention is paid to it, whereas the NSX always turns heads; mostly of people who are wondering what it is and if it is a Ferrari. :D Two weekends ago, two kids driving in a brand spanking new Murcielago rubber-necked it as they went past me at a traffic light. :D

I would highly disagree. THe NSX does turn heads... many more than a corvette.

I've only had my NSX since last June but every time I'm at the gas station, someone comes up to ask me about it. The only time that didn't happen was when there was no one else at the gas station. I doubt if this happens to Vette owners.

These kind of comments have just gotten so tired, as though if they repeat them enough times they'll eventually be true. Some of the magazine type guys have never liked the NSX and always tried to slam it with vague, subjective statements like these. As all of us know there are always people interested in this car on the street, to the point where it occasionally becomes a little bothersome. D.E.D. is a crotchety old coot who should go back to cleaning his shotguns, smoking his pipe, and drinking his single malt. :rolleyes:

Nate

I saw that comment in the article and vehemently disagree with it, I was thinking of e-mailing the magazine and letting them know how wrong they are. Yes, when I had the corvette, I got a few "thumbs up" from kids in school buses, however in the NSX, I get many more responses, from many different types of people, not anywhere near the reactions that I had from the corvette. For a 14 year old car, it still attracts mega-amounts of attention!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oldguy said:
In the latest issue of Automobile magazine, founder David E. Davis, Jr. writes about his favorite past Automobiles of the Year (his #1 is the 1995 BMW M3). About the NSX, chosen in 1991, he writes: "The Acura NSX has been around since 1991, and even today it goes unnoticed in traffic, while almost any Corvette is an automotive icon that will never fail to turn heads." His personal opinion aside, this is not an accurate statement in my experience. Any comments?
David could not be more wrong. :biggrin:

Someone give him the red pill.

I don't get as many questions or comments about my NSX as much anymore. But amazingly, I get a lot of questions and positve remarks about my TL. Then again, I see Lambo's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Bentley's, and every other exotic on my 2.7 mile commute to and from my office. I guess the NSX is just like any other car down here in fanstasy land. :cool:

Just last night me and my roomate were rolling down the road in his Tacoma and we saw something low and wide bearing down on us in the rearview. He got excited and said "Is than an NSX?"

Just when I turned around, it got close enough to recignize and it was just a shiny new C6 Corvette. :(

We both disappointedly said "Awwwww" and didn't even give it a second glance.

NSX turns more heads than any Corvette can hope to. I always have people ask me questions about it at gas stations. Many of them surprise to hear it is a 91. But I never owned a Corvette, so I really don't know what I am missing. :biggrin:

We've got two issues here: (1) the national automotive media's incestuous relationship with the big 3 and (2) David E. Davis himself.

Firstly, automags rarely, if ever, give a sobering, candid slice of real-world ownership that the swarms of potential car buyers out there are hoping to read. This is simple: advertising and road tests are the bread and butter of these publications and they can't possibly sell mags without puckering up and smacking a big wet one on the proverbial ass of GM, Ford, or DC to get ad revenue, test cars, and who-knows-what-other perks from them. I can't remember ever reading an article in a major car mag that accurately depicted the weaknesses of it's test cars. And how many times have you read those "showdown" comparision articles that end in a tie or limp-wristed indecisiveness like "these are two of the best cars we've ever tested. If you want more power go with car A but if you want better handling go with car B." The Corvette and the 911 seem to win everthing. Period.

Secondly, Big_nate was right on about DED. He fashions himself as some sort of modern day Mark Twain wannabe with his handlebar moustache and Coke-bottle specs. I'll bet he carries a pocketwatch, too. My point is that he is about as far removed, style-wise, from the typical American sportcar buyer as Oprah. I can't envision him ripping it up on backroads or banging out heel-toe downshifts from 130mph on the track in any high performance car. I'm not even convinced he could FIT in an NSX. And that's why his opinion means nothing to me. :)

Enjoy your NSX's for yourselves, fellas. We're the last of a dying breed.

"...while almost any Corvette is an automotive icon that will never fail to turn heads."

Yeah, those mid-to-late 80's Corvettes always draw a crowd. :rolleyes:

The only 'Vettes that would get my attention are the '62-'67 models.

kgb_agent said:
He fashions himself as some sort of modern day Mark Twain wannabe with his handlebar moustache and Coke-bottle specs. I'll bet he carries a pocketwatch, too.

I'm thinking pocketwatch, pewter flask, one of those big Sherlock Holmes type pipes, etc. The guy's a pompous a** plain and simple. I'm sure he would get great satisfaction knowing that he riled up a bunch of 'enthusiasts.'
Just look at this guy
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...kreviews/103-2618590-9747867?v=glance&s=books

1995 M3 is one of my favorite cars as well, i had a 98 M3 and if it had not been so problematic I would still own it.

Oldguy said:
Davis has been a long time NSX hater from day one. He is nothing but an automotive snob. I don't read his magazine simply because of stupid comments coming from him all the time.
Steve

Being the owner of a '94 NSX and an '01 Z06, I can assure you I get many more looks IN GENERAL in my Z06.....HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE. Nobody really FREAKS out about my Z06. People who do notice my NSX ABSOLUTELY go frigin' nuts over it.

(Could be the color, too. The Z06 is red. The NSX is black.)

The only 'Vettes that would get my attention are the '62-'67 models.[/QUOTE]

Not to be nit-picky but the mid-years were 63-67 :biggrin:

Here is what it would look like if David E. Spoke Shizzle....

"Tha Acura NSX has been around since 1991, n even today it goes unnoticed in traffic, while almost any Corvette is an automotive icon thizzay will gangsta fail ta tiznurn heezees."

Point? Just made a silly comment look even sillier.

I give his commentary zero credit. Oh, and I think his magazine sucks. I wonder if he cares?

Philip

caseycarson said:
Being the owner of a '94 NSX and an '01 Z06, I can assure you I get many more looks IN GENERAL in my Z06.....HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE. Nobody really FREAKS out about my Z06. People who do notice my NSX ABSOLUTELY go frigin' nuts over it.

(Could be the color, too. The Z06 is red. The NSX is black.)
Could also be your Z06 badge. I do give it a second glance if I notice a badge on the fender. :)

Funny, Motor Trend wrote this about the Corvette:

"The new C6 is also a thorough rework of an existing car. Chief engineer Dave Hill has been widely quoted as saying 85% of the C6s mass and 70 % of its part numbers are new. Whatever that means, it doesnt count for much as we rumble down Santa Monica Boulevard in the warm afteglow of another sunny LA day. We're in the new Corvette -- and nobody noticed."

So much for everyone noticing an icon.

(Thank you Net Viper for the link)

CDX_NSX said:
Could also be your Z06 badge. I do give it a second glance if I notice a badge on the fender. :)

I'm talking about your everyday Joe noticing Corvettes. They don't know a Z06 from a regular coupe. Enthusiasts know the difference. From the time we were young, we were taught that Corvettes are America's sports car.....I think that's why Corvettes get so much attention. I'll say it flat out that my NSX has much better engineering and it's obvious that much more R&D went into the NSX than any Corvette I've ever owned.

Here is my email to automobile:

To whom it may concern:

Mr. Davis' recent comments regarding the 1991 Acura NSX are completely without merit. The NSX remains one of the most striking cars on the road today and is certainly noticed in traffic. I can not begin to count the number of times I have gotten stares, waves, thumbs up, nods of approval and other recognition, not to mention the many occasions when drivers of other vehicles have rolled down their windows or approached me at gas stations and asked questions about the car. I once had an old couple in a pickup follow me for 10 miles just to look at my car and ask what it was. When I told them it was a 1993, not a 2003, they were stunned.

Further, for Mr. Davis to state the Corvette is an automotive icon that will never fail to turn heads is patently absurd. Corvettes are everywhere and go largely unnoticed as a result. Seeing an NSX is rare, while seeing a Corvette happens multiple times a day. Perhaps Mr. Davis is confused about the NSX, as I have often been asked if it was the 'new corvette'. People are amazed to learn the design dates from 1990. Some Corvette owners actually refuse to believe it, in some cases asserting the NSX stole its design from the C5 which is of course impossible.

While I appreciate Mr. Davis is entitled to his opinion, his comments regarding the NSX are simply untrue. In the future, I hope that his apparent personal bias against the NSX will not override his journalistic integrity. Say what you want about the NSX, it needed a redesign several years ago, but the objective fact remains that it is noticed in traffic.

Not only does the NSX get noticed at the gas station, etc... My biggest irritant is when I'm driving at a normal speed down a 4-lane, and am courteous to let those driving faster pull by before I change into their lane. Only to find them pull up by the NSX then slow down to take a long - long look! I basically have to hit the brakes to slow down so they will drive past so I can pull behind them to make a necessary (by this time, vital) lane change.

I doubt the vette community has to endure this! (Unless we're talking '67 or earlier model)

Back