• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Day Time Running Lights

For my newly purchased NSX I need to put on daytime running lights. My car is a 1991, US spec.

For those that have a Canadian spec car could you show me a picture of where the Daytime running lights are? If i need to add them to register I would like it to look stock.

From what I see in several other threads are they in the parking lights? Or is it fog lights below the bumper?

1710796018727.png

Reading through the options to retro fit it seems the best way would be to run a wire from the DRL fuse to the lights. I see others reused the parking light.

How does it work on the Canada spec cars?

Thanks!

What do you mean by looking stock? Looking like an original Canadian model (I don't think these DRL housings are available any more) or looking like an original NSX, without the Canadian DRL lights that block the air conditioner inlets?

The most stock look is DRL's as @centerpunch outlined, on the thread you've already been commenting on.

What do you mean by looking stock? Looking like an original Canadian model (I don't think these DRL housings are available any more) or looking like an original NSX, without the Canadian DRL lights that block the air conditioner inlets?

The most stock look is DRL's as @centerpunch outlined, on the thread you've already been commenting on.
I didn’t know the Canadian cars had additional lights for the DRL. After reading through a number of threads last night I saw a picture of them. I don’t really want to add addition lights. I like the option of using the turn signal light with a led amber/white light combo. I am thinking about using the JDM clear lenses so I can keep my stock lights original keep them stored so it can go back to stock. Personally I think this is an unreasonable requirement by the Ontario government. If this was a modern car that is a daily driver makes sense. But to force people to mod a classic car does not make much sense to me. The 1989 cut off should be adjusted given how much time has passed since the original law.

I can understand your frustration, and I agree about grandfathering old cars. That said, I'd strongly recommend DRL's (front and back!) for safety even if you drive your NSX rarely. We're just so low compared to everything else on the road - a Civic looks lifted now. And the @centerpunch DRL looks stock, unlike add-on DRL bulbs or strips. One issue with just adding the bright LED strips is that they obliterate your front turn signals for oncoming traffic because they don't go off when you're signalling. A lot of cars with this problem when DRL was first introduced and now you see that most new cars shut off the DRL when the turn signal is on. That's what's great about the switchback LED's. Look at my video in @centerpunch 's thread to see how the DRL shuts off whenever the signals are operating, whether the headlights are on or off.

I think your choice is clear. Just do @centerpunch 's switchback LED solution with the bulbs I recommended on that thread (less hyperflash), and consider wiring it my way so you don't have to cut your fuse box lid. (Fuse box to R DRL/signal to L DRL/signal - don't need a very thick wire because it's only 0.4 A) Be sure the wire can't get tangled with the pop-up operation.

You won't need to remove the amber shield if there isn't one in place. You should find an amber 1156 bulb inside, and it's easy to verify that the amber shield is not in place just looking in the bulb hole of the turn signal housing.

One thing that's confusing to me is that I thought JDM NSX's came with fog lights. This would be easy to wire as DRL just by temporarily bypassing the fog light switch with a shunt, which you change back after the safety is obtained, although I'd then recommend leaving your fogs on all the time as a DRL in that case.

Last edited:
Hi, if you are looking for a set of Canadian DRL lights (OEM) I have a set.
The relay and lights are not available from Acura, and it's not Plug & Play on US Spec NSX's

Bram

My NSX was originally imported from the US into Ontario when it first arrived into Canada. Parking lights in the front are wired to be DRLs.
Easy to do and will get the box ticked for a safety with most mechanics, but the OEM bulbs are so dim they don't provide much daytime visibility. Perhaps if they were upgraded with some very bright LED's that are now available it would do the trick, but you then have the problem of difficulty obscuring the signals when the DRL are on.

Last edited:
Hi, if you are looking for a set of Canadian DRL lights (OEM) I have a set.
The relay and lights are not available from Acura, and it's not Plug & Play on US Spec NSX's

Bram
Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. But, i don't think I want to add additional lights to the front.

Easy to do and will get the box ticked for a safety with most mechanics, but the OEM bulbs are so dim they don't provide much daytime visibility. Perhaps if they were upgraded with some very bright LED's that are now available it would do the trick, but you then have the problem of difficulty obscuring the signals when the DRL are on.
This is true. It's barely noticeable when they're one so I usually actually drive around with the headlights on. It's an easy solution with minimal cost and keeps the front end clean as well.

This is true. It's barely noticeable when they're one so I usually actually drive around with the headlights on. It's an easy solution with minimal cost and keeps the front end clean as well.
Your headlights on all the time? Maybe for the fixed headlight crew. That also dims the radio, CC, & clock, making them harder to view.

Your headlights on all the time? Maybe for the fixed headlight crew. That also dims the radio, CC, & clock, making them harder to view.
Just a precaution for my part to make myself as visible as possible in a sea of trucks and SUVs. I also have an aftermarket stereo that is wired to always be dim as I prefer that but I'm probably weird...

I can understand your frustration, and I agree about grandfathering old cars. That said, I'd strongly recommend DRL's (front and back!) for safety even if you drive your NSX rarely. We're just so low compared to everything else on the road - a Civic looks lifted now. And the @centerpunch DRL looks stock, unlike add-on DRL bulbs or strips. One issue with just adding the bright LED strips is that they obliterate your front turn signals for oncoming traffic because they don't go off when you're signalling. A lot of cars with this problem when DRL was first introduced and now you see that most new cars shut off the DRL when the turn signal is on. That's what's great about the switchback LED's. Look at my video in @centerpunch 's thread to see how the DRL shuts off whenever the signals are operating, whether the headlights are on or off.

I think your choice is clear. Just do @centerpunch 's switchback LED solution with the bulbs I recommended on that thread (less hyperflash), and consider wiring it my way so you don't have to cut your fuse box lid. (Fuse box to R DRL/signal to L DRL/signal - don't need a very thick wire because it's only 0.4 A) Be sure the wire can't get tangled with the pop-up operation.

You won't need to remove the amber shield if there isn't one in place. You should find an amber 1156 bulb inside, and it's easy to verify that the amber shield is not in place just looking in the bulb hole of the turn signal housing.

One thing that's confusing to me is that I thought JDM NSX's came with fog lights. This would be easy to wire as DRL just by temporarily bypassing the fog light switch with a shunt, which you change back after the safety is obtained, although I'd then recommend leaving your fogs on all the time as a DRL in that case.
Thanks Wild Turkey. I think the combo of your method and centerpunch is the way I am going to go. I am 90% certain that my lenses are the original US spec lenses which I assume has amber in them. For ~$20 I am going to wire up the parking lights to get the safety. Then get some clear lenses and implement the turn signal solution. The "parking lights" are a 168 bulb i think. So I will get some LEDs for those and new sockets to wire from the fuse and use this to pass the safety. The car is currently getting the belt service done, thermostat and fuel filter. Timing belt has not been done since 2003! When I get the car back I will add the running lights then they said they would wave the cost to bring it back for the "re-safety".

Just a precaution for my part to make myself as visible as possible in a sea of trucks and SUVs. I also have an aftermarket stereo that is wired to always be dim as I prefer that but I'm probably weird...
The NSX is a head turner where I am. In the limited driving I have done thus far it has got a lot of attention. What I find most interesting is that most "non car people" have no idea what it is.

While it does get a lot of attention, you only need one person not paying attention - that's why I run front and rear DRL.

My sequential switchback DRLs. I provide a service to convert your lights to either sequential or non-sequential switchback DRL's. DRL's turn on when the car is ignition is on, and the system is plug & play.

Attachments

• 20210928_193107.mp4
    87.2 MB
Back