• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DC header, any opinion out there?

Re: DC header, any opionion out ther?

icefire said:
pzull,

Pardon my ignorance but what do "equal length" do for the headers?

nsxgod,

What type of joint system is DC Sport's latest 91-94 model header?

look at the pix above - it is pretty obvious.

NSXGOD said:
look at the pix above - it is pretty obvious.

Well, it looks like the flex type to me, but again, I have never seen any of them before. :redface:

It is a flex joint.

JMO:
If you are looking to save cash, buy a set of used 97+ headers. If not, buy the Comptechs (Taitec are nice too, but no CA Carb).

White94 said:
It is a flex joint.

JMO:
If you are looking to save cash, buy a set of used 97+ headers. If not, buy the Comptechs (Taitec are nice too, but no CA Carb).

White94,

Are you saying that one can use a 97+ header set on a pre-97 NSX with same kind of performance gain? :confused:

The goal of replacing the manifolds is to get a freer flowing exhaust system. Freer flowing = more power. Manifolds are definitely more restrictive than OE headers. Oe headers may be slightly more restrictive than aftermarket (looks like smaller diameter tubing)

I am saying by changing from an OEM manifold setup (91-96) to an OEM header setup there are HP gains to be had. I don't know if they are as good as an aftermarket setup, as I have never seen a comparative dyno. However, they are durable and cheaper.

The downside is that you pretty much better plan on swapping out the whole system if you are converting from older to newer. The 3 exhaust sections (header/manifold, cats, cat back/muffler) have varied connection points as Honda changed them over the years. 91-94 has one setup, 95-96 is another and 97 is further changed. There may be differences in the 97+ population that I am not aware of too. Keep in mind you will also have to relocate the O2 sensors, which will likely involve getting extensions to the OE harnesses (from CT maybe?).

SoS has a pretty good visualization of the varying exhaust layouts points I am talking about: (imagine the cats, then manifolds/headers upstream)
exhausts.gif

Short version
If you find a good deal on a 97+ headers and cats, it might be a route to consider. You would also have to buy 91-94 to 97 exhaust adapter pipes (SoS sells them) and O2 wiring harness extensions. Power gains would be similar but probably not quite as good as aftermarket.

I think its a bigger hassle than its worth personally, and would just get the CT headers. However, you guys in Cali have a crapload of NSXs so maybe somebody has some laying around and you can save a few bucks.

Last edited:
I have a set of 97+ headers that i will sell, I am going turbo and having something else made..... PM me if you are interested. 99% of the power 48% the cost.

marc

icefire said:
pzull,

Pardon my ignorance but what do "equal length" do for the headers?

QUOTE]

Results in Lower backpressure and losses as each exhaust high pressure pulse is "inserted" into a low pressure zone of adjacent port's exhaust pulses ie. no clashing of high pressure pulses, which would otherwise cause more resistance and higher back pressure and higher losses

Thanks NSXGOD for the pics....I see the light. 96 version looks like it also has slightly shorter primaries

Have had my DC headers for about 4 years (the one with the flex pipe) and I like it alot. It has been my best mod. It broke out last year at the flex part and my exhaust sounded like a GT500. I loved the sound for a week or so but then had an after market flex pipe welded on to replace it. It is much quiet now.

Back