• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DC Header Fixed but sound not the same ??

Hi All,
I've got a DC header for 91-94 with the flex joint that I've had for 4 years/30,000 miles. First on my 92 and now on my 97 with Gruppe M exhaust. A few weeks ago noticed change in note and some smoke. Checked underneath and noticed the notorious DC header crack in the flex joint. Mine had nearly been sheared off. I had the flex joint replaced with an aftermarket. Performance is nearly the same but not the sound is not. Its on the back of my mine all the time. My mechanic and the muffler shop tells me it should be the same and my mechanic its just me. I swear its not the same.
I'm even thinking of getting a new header all together.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanx Prime members.
Nico

The only thing I can think is if they use a braided joint, it might be changing the harmonics.

I have DC headers on my 91 and had both flex joints crack last year. I noticed the car sounded louder and I knew something was wrong. I had both headers removed from the car, the flex pipes were cut out and replaced with a solid stainless steel pipe section. Once the headers were re-installed my car sounded great but that was partially do to the new Comptech exhaust that replaced the OE muffler that I had installed too.

I'm not sure what can cause the change in sound unless maybe the new flex joint is more restrictive. Is it a higher tone?

Other DC Headers owners: Titanium Dave can replace the bellows joint with a proper flex joint. He has a weld fixture to ensure proper fitment.

Last edited:
I think if it were to happen to me , I would replace the joints with the newer style joints.

Hello I recently ordered a DC Sport header and I wanted to know if anyone could visually verify if this is a newer design with a better flex joint.

20161208_001150.jpg

Attachments

• 20161208_001139.jpg
    20161208_001139.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yes this is the new design. The old design looks like this :

2qbg9zc.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome thanks asylum! Can't wait to install these.

Hello I recently ordered a DC Sport header and I wanted to know if anyone could visually verify if this is a newer design with a better flex joint.

attachment.php

Yep. Looks just like mine. They sound great and pass smog easily.

Back