• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dead Battery

Hi all. New to the forum. Just purchased a 2005 NSX with Comptech SC. Nice car, lots of fun. Did not use it for 2 weeks and it was dead. The garage has no power so no trickle charger. I can succesfully jump start the car but it dies as soon as I disconnect the jumper. If I leave the jumper in place the car runs fine. Suspect my battery is either dead altogether or severely depleted. Does this sound right? My plan is to take out the battery and have it tested. If bad will replace it. Thanks for any input.

In my bachelor days I was a renter and had the bee in a storage unit. A dead batter was not a surprise in the spring..easy enough to replace. Even for a caveman like me..

To answer your question yes, a fully flat battery or one that won't take a charge will do this. If it's only been flat once you may be able to charge it, but if not you'll need to swap in a new one.

For storage, if you have access to an outside window where you store your car you can get a small RV solar panel and inverter for around $50.00 on Amazon. I did this for my car before we got power in the shop and it kept the battery well maintained. These are also great for boats where you don't have power on your dock.

Solar Charger

To answer your question yes, a fully flat battery or one that won't take a charge will do this. If it's only been flat once you may be able to charge it, but if not you'll need to swap in a new one.

For storage, if you have access to an outside window where you store your car you can get a small RV solar panel and inverter for around $50.00 on Amazon. I did this for my car before we got power in the shop and it kept the battery well maintained. These are also great for boats where you don't have power on your dock.

Solar Charger
That is a great idea but no window. In a parking garage unfortunately. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

You probably need to replace the battery; however, you might want to check for other electrical issues. Unless the battery has gone open circuit the car would normally sustain operation once the alternator is spinning and you should be able to disconnect the booster cables. It might not re start; but, should continue to run. You might have a charging system issue or the perennial failed battery post clamps which contributed to an early demise for the battery and are contributing to the no run issue.

When you replace the battery, have the old battery tested to confirm that it is dead. When you install the new battery, make sure that the cable clamps do not slip on the battery posts. After you install the new battery check the dash voltage gauge to confirm the voltage with the engine running. It should be around 14.7 volts. If not, then you probably have a charging system issue.

If the car is unused for significant periods you might want to consider three things
- purchase the battery size recommended for the auto version of the NSX which is a nudge larger
- purchase an AGM battery which has a lower self discharge rate than a flooded cell battery
- purchase one of those battery post switches to disconnect the battery during periods of extended non use.

You probably need to replace the battery; however, you might want to check for other electrical issues. Unless the battery has gone open circuit the car would normally sustain operation once the alternator is spinning and you should be able to disconnect the booster cables. It might not re start; but, should continue to run. You might have a charging system issue or the perennial failed battery post clamps which contributed to an early demise for the battery and are contributing to the no run issue.

When you replace the battery, have the old battery tested to confirm that it is dead. When you install the new battery, make sure that the cable clamps do not slip on the battery posts. After you install the new battery check the dash voltage gauge to confirm the voltage with the engine running. It should be around 14.7 volts. If not, then you probably have a charging system issue.

If the car is unused for significant periods you might want to consider three things
- purchase the battery size recommended for the auto version of the NSX which is a nudge larger
- purchase an AGM battery which has a lower self discharge rate than a flooded cell battery
- purchase one of those battery post switches to disconnect the battery during periods of extended non use.
Thanks very much. This is quite helpful. Voltage is appropriate at 14.7. Suspect I just need a new battery at this point. I will try to throw in the cut off switch as well. My previous Nsx had one and it worked quite nicely. Thanks again.

Back