• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer did valve adjustment and valave cover gaskets. Oil still leaks.

I just had the valve adjustment done at honda. I had a tech work on it who worked at acura for 15-18 years do it. He did a great job on the valve adjustment. They were way off. He put it back together with new valve covers gaskets and plug gaskets along with new valve cover grommet/caps.

My valve covers still leak oil.

Is it that hard to do them? I had them done last year and they were ok in the begining for few weeks. but themn they leaked. done by a honda tech as well.

What is the problem. Is there a trick to this or no. I know everyone takes their stuff to Larry but he pulls the engine out. Makes it easy to work on it when he is doing other things to it. But i am not sure if he puls the engine to do the valve covers. I need to ask him.

Hoping the dealer will send him the car this time to re-do it.

Re: Dealer did valve adjustment and valve cover gaskets. Oil still leaks.

Since there was an oil leak both times after the valve cover gaskets were replaced with new parts after service, I suspect that the sealing surfaces on the heads and/or the valve covers are the source of the leak. I would ask the Acura service manager to remove the valve covers and check these two surface areas for a ding or surface imperfection.

Are you sure it is the valve cover gaskets and not the spool valve gaskets?

I will need to have them checked. When they were removed the first time hte valve covers had a layer of glue type of film on them. it was removed to have the valve covers cleaned and prepped. maybe thats what it was. But should of he noticed that?

Yes its the valve covers. i stuck my hand behind there and dragged it across and had oil on my fingers. Fresh clean oil. The spool valve seals were replaced last year and all the coolant hoses as Larry rec. to do. Along with coil packs and spark plugs ect. Did a full service update last year.

I would take it to an Acura Dealer, if you dont have an Acura dealer near you, then drive to one. I went to a Honda dealership and the one of the managers asked was my NSX the new TL turbos? I was like what the F? are you kinding me? as he walked around the car her saw the NSX logo and felt stupid.

Yeah they are ASE certified, or at least one of the Mechanics are that work there, or they couldnt have that advertised, but Not many have logged alot of hours on an NSX.

its like Pilots, you ask him "how many hours have you logged in that certain plane"?

"4 hours Sir "

well then you dont fly with him...

lol. I like that pilot thing. But the guy who worked on it has done few before. At least thats what he says. Well it will go back because they are still leaking. If they cant fix it they will be refunding the money. At least i hope they will. Then it will go to Larry. I will drive it to Larry. Taking it to a acura dealer will be the same in this area as it would to honda.

The first question I would ask is did the tech use the valve cover gasket "set", 12030-PR7-010.

This set comes with 3 spark plug gaskets, valve cover gasket, and 6 WASHERS.

If the washers were not replaced, to old washers become hard and brittle(they are rubber and metal). When this happens the valve cover is not 100%tight on the head. With new washers it all snugs up as it should:).

My $.02

HTH,
LarryB

The first question I would ask is did the tech use the valve cover gasket "set", 12030-PR7-010.

This set comes with 3 spark plug gaskets, valve cover gasket, and 6 WASHERS.

If the washers were not replaced, to old washers become hard and brittle(they are rubber and metal). When this happens the valve cover is not 100%tight on the head. With new washers it all snugs up as it should:).

My $.02

HTH,
LarryB

My nsx is a 92. that set shows 93-05. I dont know if that makes a difference.

I did get new washers and they were used when it was installed. they came to like 118.00+ for the washers.

Regardless of the Honda part applicability in the parts catalog, it is good for all years.

$58 and change list for the set:).This would make me wonder about the cam plugs, although I do not see these bad very often. The other thing to check, if it is the front, is the oil pressure sending unit, they leak as well. It is behind the coolant tank, under the front spool valve.

Regards,
LarryB

I even paid for the timing belt cover gaskets. that was a way of them saying that it will fix the issue. I am not sure if its the left over oil still on the exhaust or engine but i still get smoke out of it. I will have to degrease the engine this week and see what happens. Whats the best stuff you would use for that? I want to clean it up and see if its still smokes after that. If it is. i will need to go back to the dealer so they refund my money. I will need to bring it to you.

I took the car back to them to inform them about the leak. Now remember I paid them to find all the leaks. This is what i got from them.

One Spool valve seal is leaking. Timing belt cover slightly warped and causing leak. Needs cover.

So now to change the timing belt cover they need to do the valve cover gaskets again. My buddy works at honda there at the dealer and he said the the guy might be wrong with the timing belt cover causing a leak. he thinks its the cam seal behind the timing belt cover that is leaking and down the cover and onto the exhaust along with the spool valve seal.

I took it in to have the valve cover gasket leak fixed. And had them do a valve adjustment since they were taking them off. So now they want me to pay again for new valve cover gaskets to guaranty the job. i think teck fudged up and wants new cover gaskets to redo it and blaming the timing belt cover. Then he says that he can prob change the timing belt cover without taking the vlave covers off. I laughed at them. How is that going to fix the leak on the valve cover without taking it off and redoing it again?

can the valve cover gaskets be reused? after 40-45 miles on them? will they seal?

I took the car back to them to inform them about the leak. Now remember I paid them to find all the leaks. This is what i got from them.

One Spool valve seal is leaking. Timing belt cover slightly warped and causing leak. Needs cover.

So now to change the timing belt cover they need to do the valve cover gaskets again. My buddy works at honda there at the dealer and he said the the guy might be wrong with the timing belt cover causing a leak. he thinks its the cam seal behind the timing belt cover that is leaking and down the cover and onto the exhaust along with the spool valve seal.

I took it in to have the valve cover gasket leak fixed. And had them do a valve adjustment since they were taking them off. So now they want me to pay again for new valve cover gaskets to guaranty the job. i think teck fudged up and wants new cover gaskets to redo it and blaming the timing belt cover. Then he says that he can prob change the timing belt cover without taking the vlave covers off. I laughed at them. How is that going to fix the leak on the valve cover without taking it off and redoing it again?

can the valve cover gaskets be reused? after 40-45 miles on them? will they seal?

Your friend is right in that the timing covers are not the cause. Warped or not, they can't cause a leak since they don't have any oil seals. Cam seal is a possibility but very rare. That's a big job.

Back