• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer installed clutch having problems

I had a powergrip 2 clutch installed at a local Acura dealer and they called and told me the car grinds into every gear.Whats up with that? The car ran fine before I took it in there it just barely slipped the 1-2 upshift.In fact,they took OUT a powergrip 2 to replace it with the new one.Any ideas?Maybe they put the clutch in backwards.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
I had a powergrip 2 clutch installed at a local Acura dealer and they called and told me the car grinds into every gear.Whats up with that? The car ran fine before I took it in there it just barely slipped the 1-2 upshift.In fact,they took OUT a powergrip 2 to replace it with the new one.Any ideas?Maybe they put the clutch in backwards.

They most likely made a big mistake on the install. Make them take it out and let you look at the condition of it. Make sure that there was no damage done to anything else.

If the clutch is in bad shape, have them get you a new one. Also if it is grinding, make
sure you check the fluid/fluid level in the trans. Heck make sure there isn't alot of metal in your trans.
I am still breaking in a Power Grip2 clutch
as we type. They finished it last weekend.
Of course the car is back there now with a
newly found check engine light.
Good Luck
Len

I assume they're bright enough to check and bleed the hydraulic clutch master & slave. Um, no I don't assume that, you better ask. If not that (it probably isn't that simple), it sounds like the pressure plate may be defective or a bad spring(s) in the disk. Either way, it sounds like the clutch never fully disengages. A bad plate may not be obvious once removed, a bad disk should be.

Have them call Comptech so someone can step them through it. If there is a bad part, Comptech can help them identify it quickly. If they screwed up the install, Comptech can also help them with that.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 18 August 2002).]

Joe

I once had this problem myself. In my case the friction plate was installed backwards.

Originally posted by sjs:
I assume they're bright enough to check and bleed the hydraulic clutch master & slave. Um, no I don't assume that, you better ask. If not that (it probably isn't that simple), it sounds like the pressure plate may be defective or a bad spring(s) in the disk. Either way, it sounds like the clutch never fully disengages. A bad plate may not be obvious once removed, a bad disk should be. [/QUOTE

The techs at the dealer were saying just that,that the pressure plate was bad.I called Shad at Comptech and he assured me they check all PP for pressure and disks for runout.They are tearing it down on Monday and Im going to take pics to email Shad with.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Originally posted by Gerard van Santen:
I once had this problem myself. In my case the friction plate was installed backwards.

This is what I think happened,but the techs say the clutch on an NSX will not go on backwards.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

This is what I think happened,but the techs say the clutch on an NSX will not go on backwards.

Joe

The techs are not right. I know, because it happened to me. You can install the frictionplate wrongwise.

Gerard

I got the car back today.They said the tech installed the throw out bearing incorrectly.Apparently it has ridges and has to snap onto the clutch fork a certain way and was not on correctly.Thanks for all the input guys.I knew it was something they did wrong.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Back