• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It looks the same as the old one

That's what my kids said this morning. I am the former owner of a '97 Spa Yellow. See here: http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182563

Through the good fortunes of Liberty Mutual and some good timing in the market, I visited Tom Bolen in Florida on Saturday to see his '00 Spa Yellow. Tom was a great seller and very helpful along the way.

The car is beautiful and has some nice touches like Porsche 997s brakes by TitaniumDave along with TiDave's suspension bits, and a host of Comptech parts originally installed for Honda America by the dealer including supercharger, intake, headers, exhaust, sport suspension, antisway bars, etc.

My friend and I drove straight home to Virginia, arriving about 1:30am. That made 14 hours for the 950-mile trip including one meal stop. (I took it easy as showing up with a ticket or bail bond would have created some family tension.)

The car is fantastic. When we were most of the way home I figured I would try adjusting the shocks and that solved most of some serious harshness in the ride. It was okay before that most of the time but certain bumps would cause a hard-knock impact that was surprising and unpleasant. With them on full soft, I have no more complaints.

The clutch is another matter. Apparently it is a Stage 1 clutch from Spec. Now maybe I am a '97+ OEM sissy, but I am shocked how much force this clutch takes to disengage. The feel is fine and it engages smoothly but holy crap it takes a strong leg. It is going to make commuting interesting. I'm interested to hear about anyone else's experience with this clutch but I am going to have to make sure I feel a car with whatever next clutch I get, unless I go back to OEM. Wow.

The supercharger certainly makes the car feel different, in a good way. Nice to have passing power in 6th, and of course the oomph everywhere. For sure, the car does not seem as refined as an OEM car, but much of that I suspect comes from the clutch and the brake squeal. I don't mind exchanging that lovely almost-hollow induction sound of the NA engine for the supercharger whine. And while there's a bit of grumble at idle, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The Comptech exhaust works for me, a bit louder than OEM but perfectly acceptable. No drone that I could detect.

Oh, and the brakes. They certainly are powerful. The do squeal a lot even with solid force, but I'm hoping a change in pads will cure that. The pedal feel is fantastically firm compared to OEM brakes. The tires on the car are 7-year old NT555, which may be fine tires but, perhaps partly from their age, simply cannot compare the the AD08R that I had on the last car.

I don't have an engine cover so will be on the lookout for an OEM clamshell to modify or maybe a Comptech cover if anyone sells a used one.

ajyjy9yj.jpg

Yay!

-Jason

lol that was fast....don't be afraid to take this one back to the track...just dial it back....the car was made to have fun with.Best of luck

Congrats! When you sent a me over the link to the car, I really felt it was the right one for you. Very happy it worked out for you and it will be nice to be able to continue to catch a glimpse of a yellow NSX now and then when I pick Amanda up from work.

Congrats! Be sure to paint those calipers black. McDonald's theme on nsx = no Bueno, lol

if you weren't is such a hurry to get home you could have stopped by my shop. I even planned for a baby sitter to watch them so I could meet you LOL
oh well. next time thought

aftermarket clutch here a story for you............. True story happened to another prime member that doesn't post anymore cuz his dream.bubble of having an NSX was popped

he looked and looked for the perfect NSX and I helped as much as I could. he found one a White NSX great shape the motor has some work done to it, I drove out to do test drive it and give it my look over,
called him said yes I would buy it...but.... it has a sport clutch and its hard to push in you legs feel a nice burn after driving it for 10 miles. he buys the car loves it, after a few months he started to hate the the car because of the clutch being so hard to push in. he sells car for less than he paid to get something else his dream this car that he made out to be so cool and desirable he hated cuz it was to strong a clutch.
made me sad, all the time and effort to help him get his dream for nothing he sells the car.

with that said, if you thinking your not gonna like the stiff aftermarket junk clutch plan to get it coverted back to OEM. If I were you I would get a dual input shaft from SOS and convert to the dual OEM clutch setup
you car will rev faster, and down rev faster that's my 2 cents.

congrats I really wanted to see it when you drove past my shop in a rush to get home LOL :frown:

Congrats. Its great to see you back with the same color car with some upgrades. Enjoy

Glad to see you're right back in the game! Congrats!

Back