• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealers combing their dusty databases to try to move 2018 cars

RSO 34, thanks for the pics that would be such a rush.

I'm headed to take my slow non-supercar nsx out for a drive, Hope I don't get bored.

Nice pic. Planning on getting the car on track a Sebring. As soon as recover from back surgery.

Go there with ChinMotorsports - Wei-Shen Chin (owner and past NSXCA President) has a 2017 as well as a McLaren, etc and has tracked everything at Sebring. Get ready to spend some money on brakes.......

RSO 34, thanks for the pics that would be such a rush.

I'm headed to take my slow non-supercar nsx out for a drive, Hope I don't get bored.

It's definitely a lot of fun.

Here is DocJohn and I at WGI in 2007 and my same NSX in 2013 at the Glen (my '96 now has 165,000 miles including 115 track days and 13,000+ track miles - original motor/tranny)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/79e92gweC_s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08eOe3I2nTg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go there with ChinMotorsports - Wei-Shen Chin (owner and past NSXCA President) has a 2017 as well as a McLaren, etc and has tracked everything at Sebring. Get ready to spend some money on brakes.......

I've got an NSX owner locally that had some slotted steel rotors made by Giro Disc that are interchangeable with the carbon ceramic rotors. Sure you get a bit less performance but you can run track days without hurting your pocket book nearly as much.

Got my start with Chin years ago. My main track toy was the ZO6, only tracked 96 NSX once. Eventually moved away from HPDE and started SCCA racing. Actually found W2W racing safer than HPDE. Cars are so fast these days the idea of heading down the back straight at 155 mph with just a factory seat belt became less appealing over time. I do the occasional HPDE with Chin from time to time when I want to "test" my newest car purchase, hopefully will get NSX out there soon

MC

2017 NSX
2015 Jaguar F-type coupe R
1996 Acura NSX-T
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06
2008 Chevy Corvette
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

I think for the racer who races less or has moved on, a well run hpde like chin scratches the itch..plus you can run your racecar if you have one.They are always looking for good instructors at each event..if you have the desire/aptitude.

I did a lot of Chin events with my 360C. I liked the limited numbers of people. Can’t imagine being on track without a 6-point harness, hans, and roll cage. Don’t think my NSX will ever see the track.

NSX (Honda) reliability is a big thing with me. I was real close to going with a 570 and the more I read on McLaren sites the more I lost interest. Electrical problems while driving away from the dealer. Electrical gremlins while driving away from the dealer after they had been fixed! Ongoing seat problems, radio problems, window problems, key problems. The 570 is incredible in theory, but I didn’t want to see the dealer that often. So much lost driving time and aggravation.

Figured I’d sacrifice some HP, interior space, raw feel of the 570, and go with the more refined NSX. I’m sure they can tweak more HP without much effort (exhaust, bump in displacemt, elec motor upgrade, etc... usual model year tricks). And I wasn’t after excessive speed and HP. I wanted luxury. Leather seats, good AC, cruise, sirius, and so on. Plus raw and fast enough to keep me satisfied that it’s a proper supercar.

I’m sure they can tweak more HP without much effort (exhaust, bump in displacemt, elec motor upgrade, etc... usual model year tricks).

They could, but have they ever done that before on their vehicles? I can't think of any performance model from Honda that has ever bumped power significantly (more than 10%) over the course of its product cycle. Therefore, there may be a modest 50HP bump at most over the next few years if the vehicle survives.

My guess is that Honda will move up the targa debut as much as possible and try to keep the cost the same as it is currently. And, maybe try to fix some of the obvious modern vehicle oversights mentioned in the other threads.

Also, as a halo car for Honda, it should incorporate all of their advanced autonomous technology.

Let's not forget the mid engine Vette coming out soon. Going to crowd the segment more and probably will be a performance bargain. I don't see the car surviving much longer without major changes.

MC

2017 NSX
1996 Acura NSX-T
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06
2008 Chevy Corvette
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

I'm curious what the sales number were for the gen 1 NSX. It had something like a 15 year life; I'll bet the sales weren't all that great, especially in the second half of it's sales period. Maybe Honda is OK with their halo car just being out there at all. I'll bet they didn't really plan on selling them like hotcakes.

Let's not forget the mid engine Vette coming out soon. Going to crowd the segment more and probably will be a performance bargain. I don't see the car surviving much longer without major changes.

MC

2017 NSX
1996 Acura NSX-T
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06
2008 Chevy Corvette
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

....and even more crowded Lotus bringing back the ESPRIT
looks really good

https://www.6speedonline.com/articles/lotus-esprit-2020-comeback/

How many will cross shop a mid-engine Corvette? Not me. It will muddy the waters, but every few years is a new C variant. Each misses in a big way somehow. Yes, cheap speed, fast as hell. But just cheap in the end. I’d buy a new Expedition, F-150, or Land Rover instead.

don't poopoo a midengine vette ..it will be quite good..

Let’s wait and see, but that’s the standard line with any new Corvette. Then it overheats, seats are bad/slippery, etc. Never lives up to the hype.

haha I hear ya..thats what I used to think...my buddy has a 17 zo6 and it is surprising.the seats do hug

haha I hear ya..thats what I used to think...my buddy has a 17 zo6 and it is surprising.the seats do hug
Good to hear he likes it.
My sister has a z06. Previous one rattled like crazy, maybe a 16? Plus the cylinder deactivation (?) was noisy. Couldn’t stand it so she traded for a new one last fall... need to get an update if it’s any better. And her new Silverado 3500 had the Chevy Shake. They gave her a new one. She’s now looking for SD F350.

the front of the NSX isn't known for being particularly handsome. nor is the rear anything exceptional to look at...

Maybe among the 1% of the community that exists here online its not. But talk to any owners about the looks and comments they get when they have the car out. Everyone from the soccer mom in the van with her kids to the teenager in the riced out civic takes a look, pulls out the phone to take a picture, or comes over to talk about the car. Among the general population many remark that it is the best looking car out there. I've gotten this numerous times at every car show whether I'm parked next to a Gallardo, Huracan or Aventador, or an F-car or anything else out there. I've had our car at big shows inside US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, to rallies, to small shows all across town and it always gathers a crowd. I regard it as one of my favorite looking cars out there. Huracan being a close second. Somehow the lotus seems to combine two things I like into something I do not.

Maybe among the 1% of the community that exists here online its not. But talk to any owners about the looks and comments they get when they have the car out. Everyone from the soccer mom in the van with her kids to the teenager in the riced out civic takes a look, pulls out the phone to take a picture, or comes over to talk about the car. Among the general population many remark that it is the best looking car out there. I've gotten this numerous times at every car show whether I'm parked next to a Gallardo, Huracan or Aventador, or an F-car or anything else out there. I've had our car at big shows inside US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, to rallies, to small shows all across town and it always gathers a crowd. I regard it as one of my favorite looking cars out there. Huracan being a close second. Somehow the lotus seems to combine two things I like into something I do not.
Surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly) my Formula Red /94 NSX gets a huge amount of attention here in the suburbs of Detroit. Pictures being snapped, lots of questions/compliments which is quite nice. Only guy who dissed the car is the local P-car sales manager and he has the mentality of a high school kid -- LOL. I've driven the new NSX twice and to my eye it looks good. I'd be happy to have it share the garage with my /94.Whoever made the comment in this thread to the effect that he was willing to sacrifice some performance (of the McLaren if I recall correctly) for reliability and a luxury experience +1. In addition to the NSX my family and I have had numerous Honda/Acura products and every one of them has been exemplary in terms of reliability/enjoyment and a pleasant ownership experience. I can't say enough good about Mother Honda (qualified by fact that the newest of the Honda/Acuras we collectively own is 2007 -- call me a Gen III TL fan boy). I also happen to have a 2015 Audi A6 3.0T in the garage but I find I drive my trusty 04 TL with 165,000 miles most of the time as it is the perfect commute buggy for our sh*t roads here. Yes the A6 is a different class of car from the old TL and does many things better but I've had some issues with it (all resolved by dealer/factory but somewhat "grudgingly" and the vibe is not exactly customer-centric/friendly which is the exact opposite of the experience I have had with Acura over the last 18 years). I just don't have nearly the same level of confidence in the Audi as I have in the Acura. The TL is like an old reliable friend to me -- 14 years and only one mechanical failure (a/c compressor bit the dust last year). Other than normal maintenance and replacement of typical consumables, the car has never let me down. Try that with a German car. I can't help it -- sure there are faster/better/more engaging, etc. supercars out there but given my experiences with Honda/Acura over the past 18 years my love for and loyalty to Honda/Acura is still strong despite the mis-steps of the past 10 years. If and when I pull the trigger for a new toy if I can swing the cost of entry, it will be a new NSX for me. I have a comfort level with Honda/Acura that I doubt I could replicate with any other brand. Best,Jeff

Back