• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

December 15th track day - Thunderbolt NJ Motorsport Park

All:

I Just signed up for instructed laps. Com'on out for a last day - Thundebolt is new to me -

Here is link

Different programs for the day.

Contact at track:
Contact Chris Banker at (856) 327- 7208 or email, [email protected] for more information

Last edited:
This looks quite cool, I am thinking about it.

Last edited:
All:

I Just signed up for instructed laps. Com'on out for a last day - Thundebolt is new to me -

Here is link

Different programs for the day.

Contact at track:
Contact Chris Banker at (856) 327- 7208 or email, [email protected] for more information

Looks like a nice layout, never made it there for NSXPO. I assume it is all flat because I could not find a track elevation diagram on their website?

Looks like a nice layout, never made it there for NSXPO. I assume it is all flat because I could not find a track elevation diagram on their website?

It doesn't matter, get in the A3 and sign up.

Just be careful if you don't have a lot of track time, especially if you don't have "cold" track experience. December temps can be quite cold and these cars "don't like" temps in the 30s and once you dip below freezing it will be quite difficult to get the tire temps up enough to find grip on cold pavement. It should be a good experience with an instructor but please realize that the car will handle very differently in winter cold than during the typical track season here in the northeast.

RSO, very good tip. I have no plans on being a hero as this will be my first time on a track in a many, many years.

Charles, see you there.

I would not choose my first track experience to be in Dec in the NE..that said treat the track like a wet one and leave all ego at home.

True, we already have one less Ford around. I have my own set of safety concerns at the moment "Minding the Gap!"
Have fun guys and please be safe.
Cheers

It was track day number 9 for me [ started at expo 2011 ]. First time on Thunderbolt. Weather was great - I started at 40/33 psi on Dunlap Direnza's. Pressure was up to 49/39 [ about ] at the end of sessions 2 and 3 - I actually let out a few pounds for the last session. Late morning and early afternoon were like a Spring day. NJMP says they plan to continue Winter track days [ About 50 drivers total showed] - about 20 in Hot Laps instructed. They said we were well beyond the number of drivers to make it a profitable day. Good instructors - many associated with Southern NJ SCCA.

Wow, what a day! I think it hit 50 degrees and felt like spring. Thunderbolt was run without the chicane for some reason and I can see how it would be a bit more fun with it.

It was technically my 2nd track day but since my first was 11 years ago driving a 600hp Supra in the rain, I am not sure that can even be counted as the only thing I learned was don't push hard on the left pedal. This time was completely different and it may have sparked the bug. With my fierce 1.3L motor I quickly learned that momentum is the key to speed. Now the trick is actually figuring out how to keep momentum going… I see a lot of learning in my future.

Wow, what a day! I think it hit 50 degrees and felt like spring. Thunderbolt was run without the chicane for some reason and I can see how it would be a bit more fun with it.

It was technically my 2nd track day but since my first was 11 years ago driving a 600hp Supra in the rain, I am not sure that can even be counted as the only thing I learned was don't push hard on the left pedal. This time was completely different and it may have sparked the bug. With my fierce 1.3L motor I quickly learned that momentum is the key to speed. Now the trick is actually figuring out how to keep momentum going… I see a lot of learning in my future.
Zoom Zoom!!!

Here's a little video from the day - Third time using heel toe and over blipping here and there.
Instructor got me turning earlier on turn 4 to swing further out [to extend the straight] as day progressed.

I do have a sound though - at 1.49 and 3.35 coming from front right -Maybe it's just a tire squeal or squall-
But I'm not sure - might be something else [splash guard against rotor?]. There is no wiggle in the wheel - 48k miles.

Last edited:
It is amazing that they hold a track day in the winter! This Saturday is supposed to be warm and this would be a treat for me but I can't go, I have taken all my track gear off my car for the winter. My first day of the season will be with PCA Schattenbaum at the end of March. All makes are welcome so you guys should plan on that one if you can. See you then, hopefully.

Tytus

It is amazing that they hold a track day in the winter! This Saturday is supposed to be warm and this would be a treat for me but I can't go, I have taken all my track gear off my car for the winter. My first day of the season will be with PCA Schattenbaum at the end of March. All makes are welcome so you guys should plan on that one if you can. See you then, hopefully.

Tytus

High of 56 low of 44, it sounds like spring to me. They said this is the first year they have opened the track for "winter" track days. So far they have gotten lucky with the weather.

Back