• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

definition of RICE

Ok, let me begin by saying that I am a diehard when it comes to the nsx. I love Japanese Products and when it came to the NSX I expected nothing less than the best. I have notice a trend here that some people like to describe the nsx out of it's stock form "rice" yet I see other nsx on this board with american made products on the NSX. I will use Wings West and Comptech as my example. I understand that circumstance does not allow use to have the best selection of aftermarket parts but come on! I will NEVER put a wings west kit on my ride, nor any comptech component for that matter. To me that's like you american car lovers buying a ford engine and putting it into a chevy. Putting a Kawasaki Motorcycle engine in a Harley Davidson.

WRONG, JUST WRONG. (IMO)

I saw a NSX with the plate that says FERRARI, by no means am I putting down any owner, but I just baffled by it. If you want a ferarri, then just buy one. Please, Please (i beg of you) not to put down the nsx by placing a ferarri plate on.
I don't understand...

what the HELL do you call a diamond plated engine cover then? (no offense)
Chicken wire/expanded metal Air damn covers???

I think it's safe to say everyone uses HONDA Filters? Right? not Fram. HONDA?

You know another thing that is funny to me is in the thread of "Japan Pictures" towards the end people called those nsx rice! HELLO! You calling someone that wants to replicate one of the most striking race cars RICE?! Talking about those "big wings". I am just wondering if they call the JGTC NSX rice as well?

Am I alone on this one?
-just venting-

Some of your post makes sense, but other parts I have to question.

I have a comptech supercharger on my NSX and I am very pleased with it!
smile.gif
I don't understand your reasoning that because Comptech is located in the U.S. that you shouldn't put it on the NSX. Do you know of a Japanese company that produces a supercharger? Or should everyone be happy without forced induction?

Personally I don't understand any of the body kits, I wouldn't mess with such a beautiful car in the first place, but everyones tastes are different. If I was considering a body kit, I also wouldn't care which country produced it, just which one I liked the best for the money.

Taken one step further, what happens when people use brakes from Brembo or Tubi exhausts? Neither of these are made in Japan, but both are very nice additions to the NSX (IMHO).

I guess I was just venting at your venting, but it seems like you are being a little prejudice. Just because the car was originally built in Japan, doesn't mean that quality aftermarket items can't be manufactured / developed in other countries.

hey medusa... take a deep breath and collect ur thoughts... the middle of ur post doesn't make any sense.
frown.gif

i understand your comparison, but shouldnt it be a Harley engine into a Kawasaki Motorcycle? I also dont like the thought of modding the NSX coz there's a fine line between an enhancement and making it look ugly (pix have been posted numerous times before that demonstrate this). But some people MUST tweak their car... and afterall, it's their car; they can do what they want.

The NSX with a FERRARI plate... LOL ... that's funny... i'm surprised a 360 owner didnt get that plate first though!
biggrin.gif

Lastly, it sounds like u think 'ricing' is a dirty word... i dont think it is... some people like riced cars; others dont. Myself? The best rice i've seen was at my local chinese shop... keep the NSX pure.
smile.gif

*comfort* feel better now?
smile.gif

Originally posted by medusa:
I think it's safe to say everyone uses HONDA Filters? Right? not Fram. HONDA?

FYI, a lot of Honda oil filters we use in NA are now manufactured in Canada and the US, better double check your definition again.

Originally posted by fangtl:
FYI, a lot of Honda oil filters we use in NA are now manufactured in Canada and the US, better double check your definition again.

FYI, a lot of Honda vehicles we use in North America are now manufactured in Canada and the US, better double check your definition again.

biggrin.gif

Made in North America: Accord (most), Civic (most), Passport, Pilot, Odyssey, Element, CL, TL, MDX, for a total of 949,666 vehicles in 2002.

Made in Japan: Accord (some), Civic (some), Prelude, S2000, Insight, CR-V, RSX, RL, NSX, for a total of 298,168 vehicles in 2002.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 February 2003).]

I am going to throw my $.02 in here. One of the things that brings down an entire model is when that model is not deemed worthy of keeping close to original. All of you track guys can do what you want. I am talking about street cars. Ferrari cars don't get much modding and I think that that helps their value. I have seen the Lotus Europa never really appreciate strongly, in spite of its rarity and historical importance (no flaming, it's true). I think a large part of this lack of appreciation, both monetarily and perceptually, is due to the fact that the car was somewhat affordable and people did odd (read UGLY) things to them. Again, track and racing mods are fine and don't hurt the breed (as long as you are fast and don't expect a return on your investment). Wheel changes are OK as long as you keep your old wheels and don't drive around with sparklers in them. Performance mods that are unseen don't hurt a cars reputation. But again, the mods should be reversible. Weird exterior and interior mods are the owners perogative (it is your car), but they don't help the long term value of the model. The perception of the car is cheapened. Now further down the road, these cars become available at a cheap price since a collector won't touch them. An original car becomes hard to sell for what it should because the buyers know that there are less expensive cars out there. Everybody knows that a true restoration costs more than the value of the car unless it is truly special. So as someone who plans on keeping his NSX a long time, I would like to keep values up. Some of these mods are driving down the value of ALL the cars. I am sure you know about DPO's. Don't be one.

I am going to make this a topic unto itself.
Car Values, Mods and such

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

[This message has been edited by JPS Europa (edited 11 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Carguy!:
Do you know of a Japanese company that produces a supercharger? Or should everyone be happy without forced induction?
---------------------------------------------Gruppe M has a custom kit using Eaton.

No American parts in Japanese cars (or just the NSX for that matter)???? What the heck???

C'mon. Good things should be shared and used by all....regardless of origin.

If you think about it, no matter how original you keep the NSX, you will still use something that's American to bring out the fun of your NSX.....AMERICAN STREETS....
unless you feel that you get full satifaction just watching your car sitting in the garage...an AMERICAN GARAGE.....
smile.gif

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 11 February 2003).]

Well, when a car is typically referred to as "RICE" it usually means that it has add-ons that do absolutely nothing, but the car is supposed to be perceived as fast. Some examples: Blinking valve stem covers, Chrome fire extinguishers, Huge tach's, Huge wings, un-painted body kits, LED windshield wiper squirter replacement thingies, colored mesh, neon lights, multiple stickers, altezza style lights, seatbelt covers etc...etc... All on a stock car (no mods to make it go faster at all).

Also, the following 2 lists sum it up pretty good:

YOU ARE A RICER IF......

-You find yourself using the excuse "yo, but you gots twice as many cylindas, dude" after EVERY race
-You drive a 4 door 'type R'
-You have stickers that even most asians dont get
-You have stickers for parts you dont have
-You refer to 50hp as the 'big shot'
-Your car has so much camber it can drive on its side
-When you drive by, WWII veterans run for shelter
-Your exhaust tip diameter is 4 times the inner muffler diameter
-You have 'power by' anything anywhere on a car made by the engine manufacturer
-Birds make nests on your spoiler because its taller than the trees
-You sell crack for the image...not the money
-You have 'N/T' polished on the side of car and you don’t know what bracket racing is
-You will only race if the other guy removes four sparkplugs
-You can't race up hills
-Yyou have "All Motor" emblazoned on your rear hatch right next to your 14.50 dial in
you brag to have nitrous and have a 14.50 dial in
-Your exhaust system for your 1.8L is bigger than most Pro-stock cars
-You spent more money on stickers and stripes than your parents paid for your car
-You go to a performance shop and immediately start rummaging through the decal bin
-Your tach is bigger than your head
-You have a shift light and your car is an automatic
-You refuse to race because it's a "show car"
-Your only mods are cut factory springs and a 5" chrome exhaust tip
-At Autocross events you don't participate because you have a drag race setup and at drag events you brag about kicking butt on the autocross.
-Your exhaust sounds like a dying dying Moose
-You have more lights on the front of your car than the USS Voyager
-You brag about a turbo kit that never seems to get installed.
-Your bright green $300 air filter is bigger than your engine

And the other list:

Racer/Ricer

Racer: Race-class lettering on the rear window.
Ricer: Japanese Honda lettering on the rear window of a Nissan.

Racer: Tach mounted on the dash in the drivers line of sight.
Ricer: Bobbing head doll mounted on the dash in the driver's line of sight.

Racer: Nitrous oxide.
Ricer: Noss.

Racer: Installing a 12 point cage after breaking into the 11's.
Ricer: Installing a 12 point cage for more places to mount gauges.

Racer: Feeling the car shake from a lumpy cam.
Ricer: Feeling the car shake from the booming bass.

Racer: Comfy stock bucket seats on a 9 second street car.
Ricer: Back breaking fiberglass racing buckets on a 17-second street car.

Racer: Spending $2,000 to get a new Z-28 in the 11's.
Ricer: Spending $10,000 to get a Civic in the 12's.

Racer: Leaving on the third amber light at the strip.
Ricer: Blowing through red lights on the street.

Racer: Showing off a 500hp dyno sheet.
Ricer: Boastin that their 150hp mill makes more hp/liter.

Racer: Installing sub frame connectors to stiffen the chassis.
Ricer: Connecting the subframes with neon lights.

Racer: Annoying blind spot caused by the cowl-induction hood.
Ricer: Annoying blind spots caused by limo tinted windows and triple deck wing.

Racer: Throttle steer.
Ricer: torque steer.

Racer: Doing a short burnout to warm the tires before a pass.
Ricer: Weaving from side to side cause Nascar racers do it.

And the best, When you say NAWWWSSSS b/c you heard it in a movie and a true Racer laughs and says "You mean nitrious" and you say "NO, NAWWWSSS dude"....

By that same token, Are you American? If so you better only be playing Xbox games, and no Playstation 2 or Gamecube games. Because that would BE A COMPLETE AND UTTER DISGRACE TO THE AMERICAN GAMING SOCIETY!!!!

rolleyes.gif

Lighten up man, find me the unwritten rule that says, you can only mod from same-country aftermarket manufacturers.

Everyone does it... ever heard of something called outsourcing?

If you have a Stock NSX and I have an all stock NSX except for the CT IEM and BBSC, putting down 410 RWHP and I literally own you in the straight line, but I'm a Ricer because Mark Basch is American, then so be it. I'm a ricer, but I guarantee I'll be one ricer with a lot of respect from other NSX owners, or owners of any other car for that matter. I hope your non-ricer status can bring you as much happiness and satisfaction as that does.

[This message has been edited by Rubber Chicken (edited 11 February 2003).]

If you go to Honda's website in Japan and search for comptech you'll find alot of hits. You'll find alot of it with regards to Cart Racing. I even came across this link:
http://dream.honda.co.jp/news/2002/4021106-10.html

Seems like Honda isn't ashamed to let people know of their involvement with comptech, why should you?

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

I love this thread.

Don't get my wrong guys, by all means I am not knocking anyone or their style for that matter. I just notice that once you put a "big wing" it's called RICE! Granted, if it's a big wing replica from a supra and you put it on a nsx I think that is "rice". I think most would agree. Now I have also noticed details on nsx's with spoon calipers and with project mu rotors. VERY NICE. Like I stated before, I understand that there is a limited amount of tuners for the nsx and the availibity of parts to distinguish your nsx from the next nsx owner is a personal choice. I just hate to be grouped into what I "think is rice" versus "what other people think is rice" hence my thread topic of definition of rice.
It's funny because I know I am very detailed as do i know with other nsx owners. I am just trying to establish the facts, and find other nsx owners that are diehard jdm fanatics.
smile.gif

From what I read, the basch/comptech superchanging systems will whip (not by much) on the gruppe M, but the whole element of owning a NSX was all the suttle details of the car, I just would love to compliment them more with JDM parts. Call me hardcore?

Syonara

: Blinking valve stem covers, Chrome fire extinguishers, Huge tach's, Huge wings, un-painted body kits, LED windshield wiper squirter replacement thingies, colored mesh, neon lights, multiple stickers, altezza style lights, seatbelt covers etc...etc... All on a stock car (no mods to make it go faster at all).

I totally agree, If you buy anything for your nsx from pep boys or autozone...a Definate NO NO

Syonara

Racer: Spending $2,000 to get a new Z-28 in the 11's.
Ricer: Spending $10,000 to get a Civic in the 12's.

This I would have to disagree. Just because you use a honda as a platform versus an american car? Or is the amount of money you spend? Granted I would not call it the most wise of monetary decisions, but I am not going to call him RICE.

Syonara

Racer: Feeling the car shake from a lumpy cam.
Ricer: Feeling the car shake from the booming bass.

So a ricer is one that likes their music with bass? Granted I know a lot of people that are audiophiles and enjoy all the frequency of their music mids, hi's, and low's. I know I have spent at least 10k on all of my cars just to achieve the quality of music that I have grown accustomed to. It's funny to me because my systems will move you like no other (or in your case shake the car) but it just depends on if i am listening to Mozart K626, U2 sunday bloody sunday, to 2pac Only god can judge me.

Carguy!

I have a comptech supercharger on my NSX and I am very pleased with it! I don't understand your reasoning that because Comptech is located in the U.S. that you shouldn't put it on the NSX. Do you know of a Japanese company that produces a supercharger? Or should everyone be happy without forced induction?

Do what ever floats you boat, if you are happy cool! I am definately not saying you should not go without forced induction. If HP is your thing, go for it!

NeoNSX

keep the NSX pure

That's all i'm saying, bro.

BlueKnight

If you think about it, no matter how original you keep the NSX, you will still use something that's American to bring out the fun of your NSX.....AMERICAN STREETS....
unless you feel that you get full satifaction just watching your car sitting in the garage...an AMERICAN GARAGE.....

God bless america!
wink.gif

I will use my friend for example, he has a NSX that has a comptech supercharger, intake, exhaust, coilover, toe setup, HRE wheels, RM lip, and brembo brakes with pads. Granted, his car is beautiful but I asked him do you have any japanese aftermarket parts on your car? ...no... So I teased him a little bit, and told him that He americanized his nsx. He told me that he never realized it. Just to funny to me.

I give chris (SOS) a lot of props for bring to the nsx community JDM parts. Plus, all the other vendors for giving us the options to mod our cars they way we desire. No, this is not an advertisement.

penny for your thoughts
smile.gif

Ricers Bloooooow!
Yo, VTEC, let's kick it,
Rice rice baby, rice rice baby
Allright, stop, collorborate and listen,
Rice is back with a brand new invention,
Chopped springs hug tha road tightly,
6 inch exhaust tip flows loud nightly,
Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know,
Hit my neon lights and I'll glow,
Too tha extreme my car looks like a candle,
And tha paint looks like it was done by a vandal,
Dance, I got a speaker that booms,
This ain't a car, it's a mobile sound room,
Bass, listen to the melody,
If it was louder, yo it would be a felony,
Love it or leave it, you can't gain way,
With my Type-R sticker I'll lose you any day,
If there's a problem, yo I'll solve it,
Check out my rims while my front drive revolves it,

Now my suspension is jumpin,
My bumper hits tha ground, but who cares, I'm bumpin,
Quick to tha point, I ain't fakin,
Fryin Camaros like a pound of bacon,
Burning em, cause I'm quick and nimble,
You can't fade me and my VTEC symbol,
Cause you're a poser in your souped up 5.0,
I'm gonna roll, hey where's that 5.0,
Rollin, in my 2 point 0,
Leaning to tha right so I can shift on tha go,
The girlies all say hey you,
But could I see? No, cause the spoiler blocked my view,
So I kept on, pursuing to the next stop,
The girls looked hot wearing their bikinis,
I saw a few chumps driving stock Lamborghinis,
Jealous, cause I'm driving mine,
I'm ready punks, so watch for my nine,
You lookin at me funny, I'll cap you next time,

Take heed, cause I'm a Honda poet,
Acura's on the scene in case you didn't know it,
My exhaust tip created all the bass sound,
Rumbles enough to put holes in tha ground,
Cause my rides style is reeeeeeeeeeeeal,
With an exhaust tome you can feeeeeeeel,
2 foot spoiler wit a 6 inch exhaust tip,
Yo, it's a helluva concept,
So fast, all tha eights say damn,
If rice was a drug, I'd sell it by tha gram,

------------------
"So your Honda Civic has 1.6 Litres, Yet my Mountain Dew bottle has 2 Litres."

do you think you could record this then post it with the music just incase someone does not know the song you are doing, and becouse it would be so worth hearing, you could put some rice exhaust sound clips in the back ground. If you dont do it I just might

Well I have to say something about the rice stuff. First I don't want no one to get all mad and go crazy cause sometimes people take things way to personal and want to start a fight with every one. I think that the list of what a ricer is we will all fall in some how. I have a big wing in my car I use tha word NOSS and I have something that says power by Acura not a sticker.

I have a turbo in my car and NOSS tein Suspension and a big ass wing. So I guess I do have a rice car then right.
If I do well to bad cause I like my car and if that makes it rice well then call me a ricer.

MEDUSA, I find your assumptions rather amazing. One area I can clear up for you very easily. I am the owner of the NSX with the license plate FERARRI. This plate has nothing to do with the NSX. This plate was located on the rear end of my Ferrari for 12 years. I sold the Ferrari and put it on the NSX as a temporary parking place till I buy another Ferrari.

MEDUSA, take a breath, it would be a boring world if we all did things the same way. I may not agree with the mods that some people do, but who cares, it’s their car. To each their own, I say.

Originally posted by VampNSX:
Well I have to say something about the rice stuff. First I don't want no one to get all mad and go crazy cause sometimes people take things way to personal and want to start a fight with every one. I think that the list of what a ricer is we will all fall in some how. I have a big wing in my car I use tha word NOSS and I have something that says power by Acura not a sticker.

I have a turbo in my car and NOSS tein Suspension and a big ass wing. So I guess I do have a rice car then right.
If I do well to bad cause I like my car and if that makes it rice well then call me a ricer.

See the first paragraph in my post. Being a ricer basically means you only have the looks (tasteful or horrible), but nothing in the motor. Obviously you do have "Nitrous" and have a turbo as well, so it doesn't necessarily apply to you.
As for saying NOSS....well, you're gonna have to work on that.

Back