• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Delayed Start-up....Cause?

Just got my 91 back after $6000.00 in maint. A new issue since I got her back, is the car takes around 4 sec to turnover. Stays running after that. Battery ok, and new fuel filter did not fix it completely. Does not do it all of the time. Sometimes after sitting overnight, starts right up. Sometimes after a very short interval between starts, does it again. I am not very technically inclined with cars, just people. Anything the local dealer can check?
Thanks,
Andrew:confused:

stentman said:
Just got my 91 back after $6000.00 in maint. A new issue since I got her back, is the car takes around 4 sec to turnover. Stays running after that. Battery ok, and new fuel filter did not fix it completely. Does not do it all of the time. Sometimes after sitting overnight, starts right up. Sometimes after a very short interval between starts, does it again. I am not very technically inclined with cars, just people. Anything the local dealer can check?
Thanks,
Andrew:confused:

I am not sure about the symptoms but do a search for main relay and see if you experience the same things they do. This is a common problem which you maybe now getting as well especially if its a 91.

good luck
Bailey

did they do the fuel filter? if so the next in line is the fuel pump... I can be wrong, but if the fuel is not getting in, the filter is the first cause on most cars IMO
matt

After I fitted a new Bosch Motorsport fuel pump, I noticed that if I didn't let the fuel pump prime the system for a second before i turned the key to crank it would take quite a few seconds to fire.

The Bosch pump comes with a one way valve to maintain some pressure in the fuel rail, which I chose not to fit.

If your pump is OEM maybe it is failing to hold pressure in the rail.

Perhaps the fuel pressure regulatror is going bad. Mine takes a couple seconds to get started but only when she is cold after sitting for more than about eight hours. Mine is consitent and only happens as stated. Yours sounds a little more random and could be a sign of the pump going bad. Best thing would be to connect a pressure gage to the filter and see how the pump is working.

stentman said:
Just got my 91 back after $6000.00 in maint. A new issue since I got her back, is the car takes around 4 sec to turnover.

Try the main relay. Mine seldomly did the 4secs but haven't had the problem since I swap the relay. :biggrin:

My car orginally came from Texas so it's probably the heat that destroys the relay.

Let us know if this fix the problem. The relay was not expensive and good insurance since it is known to fail on older NSX's.

Back