• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailed: 2005 Acura NSX - tootall

We'd like to thank an NSX Prime Member, MoogieBoogie, for the referal!

This client found us via search for a detailer and was referred to us, once he got in contact; he came down to see what we could do with the car. He had attempted to do some polishing himself and was not able to achieve the results he wanted. The goal was to achieve as much gloss and depth as possible from this Long Beach Blue Pearl paint, being a triple stage: primer, base blue and candy blue pearl on top. Client knew that front end was repainted but we discovered while working on the car that most of was repainted; only roof, trunk and door molding were original paint. The paint shop matched the color well, but didn’t do too great of a job with the finishing touches (multiple runs, not blended well in some places etc). However looked well in the sun. Paint gauge was calibrated to be used on aluminum panels of the car, checked thickness of the paint and it was in 150micron range, so we were healthy in that aspect. Owner asked us to remove clear bra, which took us about 6-8 hours alone, because the quality of the bra was lacing and left most of the adhesive on the paint.
With all that said, we went the extra step to bring the car completely back to life, not that it was exactly resting near flat line either!

Products used
4” pads on PC and 2” pad on rotary for tight places)
Chemical Guys CitrusWash
Meguiars M105 with purple wool pad
Menzerna 203(power finish) with orange LC pad
Menzerna 85rd with black LC pad
P21S paint cleanser
P21S Total Auto Wash
P21S Wheel Cleaner
P21S finish restorer (exhaust tips)
BlackFire Wet Diamond (BFWD) paint sealant blue LC pad
Meguiars PlasticX on orange pad for taillights
Wolfgang Fuzion wax
Rejex (wheel sealant)
Poorboys Bold and Bright for tire dressing

Procedure:
Did test panel on spoiler, yellow and 105 left too much behind. Wool and 105 got everything in first pass, amazing how good this combo works.
* Clear bra was removed.
* Trunk and front hood underside was wiped with quick detailer; all hinge area was cleaned with brushes, q-tips and MF towels.
* 3 stage polish on whole car starting from back, front bumper was done last since adhesive was removed last. Whole car was sealed and left overnight to cure.
* Exhaust tips were in good condition so they were only polished with P21S finish restorer
* Engine was done as well, used TAW, brushes, and MF towels, rinsed with water from pump sprayer (not with water hose). But we forgot to take pics :(
* Whole car except for roof was done with: megs 105 and purple wool pad, Menzerna 203 and LC orange pad, Menzerna 85rd and LC black pad, P21S paint cleanser, BFWD and LC blue pad
* Roof - Menzerna 203 and orange pad, Menzerna 85rd and black pad, P21S paint cleanser, BFWD and LC blue pad
* Taillights - Megs 105 and wool pad on pass side, plasticX and orange pad on driver side, Menzerna 203 and orange pad, 85rd and black pad
* Wheels sealed with Rejex,
* Tires dressed with PB Bold and Bright

Onto pics
The wash
Car was rinsed and sprayed with TAW twice, washed with CitrusWash. Car was dried and water was blown out with air compressor from door jams and hard to reach areas, dried all leftover water, did test panel with clay and it was clean. Wheels cleaned with ez-brush and Swissvax brushes and p21s WC.

IMGP2595.jpg

IMGP2596.jpg

IMGP2600.jpg

IMGP2602.jpg

IMGP2603.jpg

The trunk correction
Started with 3-stage polish on spoiler. Took spoiler off, cleaned old adhesive squares, replaced with new once. Polished underside of spoiler with Menzerna 203, wiped with p21s paint cleanser and sealed it. Left it aside.
Spoiler before

IMGP2783.jpg

after
IMGP2785.jpg

IMGP2919.jpg

IMGP2920.jpg

IMGP2921.jpg

------------
IMGP2922.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

after
DSC00143.jpg

spoiler removed
IMGP2786.jpg

dried up wax was in a lot of palaces but that’s from owner waxing it himself. At least it had protection.
IMGP2787.jpg

IMGP2794.jpg

took paint readings and they were healthy in 150 micron range
IMGP2795.jpg

IMGP2797.jpg

IMGP2801.jpg

Under spoiler on trunk there was good amount of oxidation, which we wouldn't able to remove without removing spoiler, customer oked to remove it if it was needed.

---------------
IMGP2802.jpg

IMGP2803.jpg

IMGP2817.jpg

don’t mind polish on second spoiler, was going to start polishing and remembered to take 50/50 video

IMGP2823.jpg

trunk sealed
IMGP2824.jpg

sealant was removed next day from trunk, spoiler was put back on and sealed again
IMGP2924.jpg

IMGP2925.jpg

IMGP2926.jpg

IMGP2928.jpg

IMGP2929.jpg

IMGP2932.jpg

IMGP2939.jpg

EVO189.jpg

EVO179.jpg

-------------
Taillights
IMGP2827.jpg

IMGP2832.jpg

IMGP2848.jpg

IMGP2849.jpg

rear bumper before and after (1st polish stage)
IMGP2850.jpg

IMGP2854.jpg

EVO197.jpg

passenger quarter panel
IMGP2857.jpg

IMGP2861.jpg

Nick going over with 203 and orange after I did 105 and wool, just insurance step that we got all imperfections out
IMGP2868.jpg

IMGP2870.jpg

IMGP2872.jpg

reflection of pass side
IMGP2938.jpg

------------
EVO196.jpg

driver side quarter panel and door

IMGP2880.jpg

IMGP2882.jpg

IMGP2885.jpg

IMGP2886.jpg

EVO198.jpg

door handles and black plastic pieces were polished as well
EVO120.jpg

EVO117.jpg

various crevices were cleaned with small foam brushes to get dried wax off
EVO173.jpg

EVO175.jpg

EVO177.jpg

roof
EVO207.jpg

EVO185.jpg

---------
after first 2 stages, car was polished with Menzerna 85rd and black LC pad and then went over with p21s paint cleanser, BlackFire Wet Diamond was applied to entire car and left it curing overnight. In morning car was rinsed down, dried with towels and air compressor. Wolfgang Fuzion wax was applied at this point (impressed how it comes off with no leftovers like some waxes. Paint looked deeper as well
IMGP2997.jpg

IMGP2992.jpg

IMGP3004.jpg

final pics
EVO200.jpg

EVO203.jpg

EVO208.jpg

EVO209.jpg

EVO215.jpg

EVO210.jpg

EVO212.jpg

EVO213.jpg

EVO226.jpg

EVO260.jpg

EVO223.jpg

EVO225.jpg

---------
EVO248.jpg

EVO250.jpg

EVO251.jpg

EVO252.jpg

EVO253.jpg

EVO254.jpg

EVO256.jpg

EVO255.jpg

EVO258.jpg

IMGP3013.jpg

IMGP3019.jpg

IMGP3028.jpg

IMGP3032.jpg

IMGP3033.jpg

IMGP3034.jpg

------------
IMGP3037.jpg

IMGP3040.jpg

Last edited:
where are you located?

Thank you fellas! I appreciate the kind words!

This process took 4 full days to complete, the clear bra removal set us back almost a full day due to it's residue issue which was a first for me in the many clear bras that I have removed.

I only wish you were local. I wasted my time and money last weekend with a detailing hack.

Car looks great!

I'm sorry to hear that!! Unfortunately we find ourselves fixing other hack jobs far too often. If you're ever near Southeastern PA, just outside of Philadelphia, let me know :biggrin:

Amazing job ..... Just curious what a detail like that would cost minus the clear bra removal ....you can PM me if you like

DSC00145.jpg

If you do not mind, tell me what was the process was to clean this area. I find it very hard to throughly get this area polished.

Thank you

DSC00145.jpg

If you do not mind, tell me what was the process was to clean this area. I find it very hard to throughly get this area polished.

Thank you

meguairs last touch quick detailer, mifrofiber towel, different brushes, microfiber towel wrapped on mini ez-brush, q-tips, it was hard to do because of all hinges and hard to get areas it was

Absolutely ----ing beautiful! You have one hell of a talent...not to say any less for the car. I've been trying to find something round and small enough to get into the door handle recess. Could you please tell me what you use on the end of your buffer? If only I were a little closer, I would have never bought all the buffers and polishes/waxes I have. Thanks again.

Bruce

some real nice work done! great job guys.

This is why I like posts like this ... I love to see the end results from someone who has a pretty good clue as to what they're doing. Pictures are simply stunning - GREAT work!

WOW

How does one acquire such skills?

WOW

How does one develop such skills?

A lot of reading, a lot of practice and you need to be little OC and more practice. you cant acquire this or any other skill overnight, the more you do it, the better you get at it. also helps to work with somebody who knows what you dont because you cant know everything

Definitely skill in the paint correction department but a lot of people have that skill. What is impressive is his attention to detail and the fact that he took time to remove things like the spoiler to be complete (that's no easy task).

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The posts being made are a combination of myself and Mikhael who works with me. He's been doing a lot of research and practice since he's joined me and has acquired a lot of knowledge, making him the only one I trust well enough to work on a car alone.

As for myself, I used to work for Jaguar/Aston Martin and have worked with tons of exotics and high end cars for a few years. It sounds like a story book tale, but I was taught by an older gentleman who has been doing this since he could last remember and was very good in versing himself with the newest products/technologies to restore the cosmetic condition of vehicles. However, like it was said earlier, there are a lot of people who can do paint correction. The separation begins with the attention to detail and how meticulous the work performed becomes. It's what separates us from the rest, and it's an acquired "Art" over time, that only comes with experience. We're still younger guys, so we've got plenty of time to further perfect our work, if there is room for improvement, we fill it.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The posts being made are a combination of myself and Mikhael who works with me. He's been doing a lot of research and practice since he's joined me and has acquired a lot of knowledge, making him the only one I trust well enough to work on a car alone.

As for myself, I used to work for Jaguar/Aston Martin and have worked with tons of exotics and high end cars for a few years. It sounds like a story book tale, but I was taught by an older gentleman who has been doing this since he could last remember and was very good in versing himself with the newest products/technologies to restore the cosmetic condition of vehicles. However, like it was said earlier, there are a lot of people who can do paint correction. The separation begins with the attention to detail and how meticulous the work performed becomes. It's what separates us from the rest, and it's an acquired "Art" over time, that only comes with experience. We're still younger guys, so we've got plenty of time to further perfect our work, if there is room for improvement, we fill it.

Not bad, from a dealer to doing quality work is not a frequently heard tale, but I'm glad you are a survivor.

You do seem to have been doing your homework which is vital in this industry, good luck to you, keep up the good work, and experience will come naturally.

Awesome job! Can you provide some details on the polisher you used for the door handles and jambs? I've never seen that before, looks interesting. How small is the pad?

Back