• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailing Question

I've been thoroughly detailing my NSX-T and have some questions regarding the inner fender liners. My car is black and sometime during its life it has had some wax and dust/dirt residue accumulate between the body panel and inner liner. These panels could easily be detailed if the fasteners were all screws, but some are "one time use only" plastic rivet type fasteners. I have thought about removing these fasteners and replacing them with Well-Nuts and black chrome machine screws like those used to assemble motorcycle body panels. This would allow for easy removal and install for detailing. What is the general concensus from NSX owners about absolutely stock appearance vs. function. I have a Corvette ZR-1 that I show quite often and anything other than how the car left the factory is frowned upon by the judges. But I plan of driving this car more. The inner liners of this NSX just leave a little to be desired and I really think that making them completely removeable would be a big enhancement to the overall appearance. Also, if anyone has tried to replace their power antenna with a factory correct one, let me know. Mine didn't work quite right and I completely rebuilt the unit and it works fine now. Beat the hell out of the $280 the dealer wants for just the motor, not the mast.

I had oversized tires a few years back that rubbed the liner, so I had to remove it. From what I can remember, none of the clips are of the single-use type; all are identical (plastic screw in a plastic sleeve).

In the top of the fender wells, the fasteners are 1 use only, and at the bottom, by the rocker panels are sheetmetal screws. These are the factory fasteners on a 98. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Cdub. Those are exactly what I was referring to. Mine are just slightly different in that the center "plunger" has no head large enough to grab or get under with a small jewelers screw driver or straight blade. I might be able to simply push the center on through, but then finding the center will be a problem after if falls into a unaccessable area. I'll find out.

The pins have three positions, pre-locked, locked and released. To disengage the fender clips, push the center pin in until it clicks into the released position, then remove the clip. To reinstall, pull the pin out to the pre-locked position, insert it into the hole, and push the pin to the locked position (the way it originally was).

Thanks Russ. Makes perfect sense now. I feel foolish now. Oh well, the only way to find out short of screwing something up is to ask those who know. Thanks again for your insight.

Back